Thread: drinking vs dressing

drinking vs dressing

hello all,
    Sometimes in my mind I justify my cross-dressing by comparing it to drinking alcohol.
    Some people go to the pub to get drunk. This costs them a lot of money for a few hours of pleasure and the next day they feel ill.
    Some people go out for a meal and a few drinks. This costs quite a lot of money for a few hours of pleasure.
    Sometimes I buy a dress or skirt that always costs less than a night out - and I have the pleasure of wearing it more than once. I have saved the money I would have spent.
    If I was brave enough I would wear the dress on the night out - but I am not brave enough!
    stay healthy!
    luv J

Interesting perspective and quite true in many regards. Maybe a good lesson in economics. Sometimes the most rewarding things are free or almost so. Now if those of us who are not so brave can mix the social aspects of drinking or eating with the expression of our inner selves then we would have a near perfect combination.

Banned Read only
    Not exactly sure what your point is but I'm glad that you are enjoying yourself. People find pleasure and/or satisfaction in a number of things that cost us money. From drinking to shopping to any number of vices to church on Sunday. Happy for you.

Interesting perspective Jaques. I dress then go out and drink and eat so no replacement savings there ... although I tend to drink less when out I'm en femme. Psychological female alcohol tolerance thing or just a greater fear of getting pulled over on the way home??

When I saw your heading I thought you would be going down the idea that like alcohol (and gambling, drugs, fast sports cars and a lot of other things) CDing is like an addiction (at least to me). I get great pleasure, it helps me pull away from other stressful parts of my life and I just can't quit.

I pretty much stay home and do my drinking there. I was amazed years ago to realize I could navigate in high stiletto heels while drinking and get by quite nicely. Only problem with full dressing is you just about have to fully undress to use the bathroom. But I agree about wasting money at the bar.

WC Fields once woke up and found himself $20 dollars short. He called the bartender and asked if he had seen him the night before and if he had that twenty with him. The bartender said yes and that he'd spent the whole bill at the bar. Fields gave a "whew" in glad response and said he was glad he didn't lose the money instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire M View Post
    Interesting perspective Jaques. I dress then go out and drink and eat so no replacement savings there ... although I tend to drink less when out I'm en femme. Psychological female alcohol tolerance thing or just a greater fear of getting pulled over on the way home??

When I saw your heading I thought you would be going down the idea that like alcohol (and gambling, drugs, fast sports cars and a lot of other things) CDing is like an addiction (at least to me). I get great pleasure, it helps me pull away from other stressful parts of my life and I just can't quit.
    I used to liken crossdressing to a form of addiction as well for the longest time, but now realize that it is more than that - it is who we are. It is not an acquired dependency that we can overcome with sufficient willpower and self-discipline along with targeted external support.

Support groups such as this are as good as it gets. There is no "Crossdressers Anonymous" or "Cross-Anon" out there to help us get over it as far as I know. The closest thing to that would be "conversion therapy", and that has largely been discredited now as ineffective at best and "junk science" at worst, not to mention an affront to the dignity and individual rights and freedoms of those who have typically been subjected to it in the past.

Deleted by Teresa.
    Last edited by Teresa.Smith.VA; 07-14-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Since I do not drink or dress all that often, I do not have to choose between one or the other. It is not that significant of an expense to do both, but I will say this. I spend FAR more on the associated costs of the outing itself than clothing or drinks. Hotel stays, transportation like Uber, tips , and sometimes buying a round for others can add up. Even so for me it is money well spent for an evening of being myself.

Of course I get quite a few offers from others to buy me a drink ; ) but I usually decline.

Sandi

Crossdressing does not make me sleepy like drinking does!

Quote Originally Posted by Claire M View Post

Yes, this is more me. By a used outfit on eBay or Craigslist. Wear it out to the City for a fun night out and spend way too much on wine, food and more wine while having a wonderful fun evening out. Price?? Priceless!!

Allie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Jacques, u can eat in or out. And, u can eat out dressed or not. Not a big deal either way. It's just food.

But, here's where you're missing out! Going out drinking with friends dressed? No matter what it costs, IT'S PRICELESS!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Platinum Member
    Crossdressing can also get quite Expensive Too, >Orchid**00**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

At least with crossdressing. I'm not destroying my liver.

It reminds me of an argument people make against any activity which they disapprove -- " The time and money you spend on (fill in the blank, i.e. crossdressing) could be spent on ___ (fill in the blank with other activity) instead." In my most active month I would estimate I spent about 24 hours and about $30 crossdressing. I doubt I would make a lasting difference on my life with that. As it is, I'm doing something that interests me and I'm having FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I pretty much stay home and do my drinking there. I was amazed years ago to realize I could navigate in high stiletto heels while drinking and get by quite nicely. Only problem with full dressing is you just about have to fully undress to use the bathroom. But I agree about wasting money at the bar.

WC Fields once woke up and found himself $20 dollars short. He called the bartender and asked if he had seen him the night before and if he had that twenty with him. The bartender said yes and that he'd spent the whole bill at the bar. Fields gave a "whew" in glad response and said he was glad he didn't lose the money instead.
    I actually find going to bathroom easier when dressed as things are more accessible.

Back on topic, cross-dressing is certainly a release without the harmful side effects of alcohol. That said, I concede I like a few beers for the social aspect of drinking.

Combining the two would make for an interesting night out though alcohol and heels may still be a tricky combination for me.

Sue

P.S. Apologies for my initial reply those who saw it. I didn't say or mean anything bad, just I overexpained how going to the bathroom was easier when dressed.
    Last edited by Mackem Sue; 06-06-2021 at 05:28 AM.

I think comparing crossdressing to drinking is a false equivalence. I am a crossdresser, I choose to drink.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

The reason I think the comparison is appropriate is that too many people are over-zealous in condemning drinkers and crossdressers.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    I think comparing crossdressing to drinking is a false equivalence. I am a crossdresser, I choose to drink.
    I agree. I don't know if I could stop cross dressing, any time I stopped I was a wreck, but I know I could stop drinking.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Alas I spend far more money on both rock climbing gear and petrol, than I will ever spend on alcohol or crossdressing, much as I love and need the later, there are other things in life,

Motorcycles are my weak spot! I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on motorcycles in the last 15 years, more than I could ever think of spending on CD'ing.

Years ago my wife asked me which was more important to me, her or motorcycles? I looked at her and started to answer and she stopped me and said, "Dumb question, I don't want to know the answer!"

I crashed on a motorcycle a couple months back, busted up a bit, but got the bike up and rode it home and had my wife take me into the ER. I week later after the worst of the pain was gone I was riding again.

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Why can't one do both? I spend a lot on an outfit, go out and have a good meal and way too many glasses of wine. Live is good.
    " I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

The key word here is "Justify". We waste so much energy throughout our lives trying to justify, really to ourselves, why we're different.

I freely admit I do it myself. Still working at it, even at 71.

Yes, crossdressing is better than drinking. If recent medical studies are correct, almost anything is better than drinking.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Alcohol made me go to morning muster on the flight deck of a carrier with gravel imbedded in my forehead from the previous night. Crossdressing has never produced those kinds of incidents. Likewise no dress has ever made me forget I am afraid of heights and attempt to climb objects that would scare my sober self. Dressing isn?t as hard on the liver. The only thing in common is that my wife does not like it when I do either of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped View Post
    Motorcycles are my weak spot! I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on motorcycles in the last 15 years, more than I could ever think of spending on CD'ing.
    Mo
    Years ago my wife asked me which was more important to me, her or motorcycles? I looked at her and started to answer and she stopped me and said, "Dumb question, I don't want to know the answer!"

I crashed on a motorcycle a couple months back, busted up a bit, but got the bike up and rode it home and had my wife take me into the ER. I week later after the worst of the pain was gone I was riding again.
    Motorcycles are my weakest too I have only two now. As for alcohol I haven?t drank any in 28 years now. I have a bad problem with alcohol. I destroyed two good relationships by drinking