Thread: Things that seem odd

Things that seem odd

I?ve been out and about en femme interacting with other people dozens if not hundreds of times, but there?s one thing that still always strikes me as odd: being referred to as "she" or "her" by other people. Don?t get me wrong, I love it, but it always sounds a little odd. A couple of weeks ago I was at a wig store buying a new wig, and the owner said to the SA, "Give her a pink ribbon to go with that." It actually took me a second to realize "Yeah! Her! That?s me!" Any similar experiences?

Deleted by Teresa.
    Last edited by Teresa.Smith.VA; 07-14-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Since you are presenting as female, I don't find it odd. But I agree I am sometimes surprised by it. I guess hiding my femininity all those years, it may never fade completely.

Julie
    Inside my heart is breaking
    My make-up may be flaking
    But my smile still stays on

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    No, not at all. Because I'm also often referred to by male adjectives. So, I'm not "surprised" by either.

And, I don't care. What I want from my sales assistant or wait person is good, helpful service!

What surprises me is how many dressers r so affected by what someone who's just trying to do their job says. Either positively or negatively!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I guess I expect to be called she / her / ma'am and disappointed when I get he/him/sir. I put a lot of time and effort into my female appearance.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I find it odd when they say he or sir. Sometimes they do. Sometimes I'm hardly trying and I get ma'am.. Hard to understand the psychology of other people's mind.

Platinum Member
    Honestly, I can?t remember the first time someone referred to me as she/her but I do know that every time I heard it, I felt authenticated...validated...whatever the word should be.

Honestly, I don’t go out seeking that validation, but when it happens, I am thrilled.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    I don't remember getting a sir, he, him, or ma'am, she, her. Its quite rude to "he" or "her" if you're being talked about in front of you - it's always "Our customer" etc.

I get "ma'am" quite often. Oddly enough, often times I'm in Male drab. As soon as they begin to stammer an apology I always tell them it's ok, "it's just because of my hair". That generally gets a chuckle and sets them at ease.

It never seems "odd" to me when someone uses a feminine pronoun when referring to me.
    It would seem odd if they didn't, unless of course they were calling me by my name.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I've gotten Ma'amed a time or two, from a distance, based on my ponytail. It put a smile on my face.

The one that threw me for a loop was being addressed as "Grandpa" by an employee in a thrift store outlet the other day. It didn't register with me at all that I was the person being addressed.

Cynthia, I have been Sired will dressed to the 9s, not a nice feeling.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

If you are called "sir" whendressed and presenting
    female it is a deliberate insult.

When I'm out dressed, I relish hearing ma'am thrown in my direction. Occasionally it catches me off guard, but it always puts a smile on my face.
    One time I had a clerk call me Mr. It was obvious from the smirk on her face that it was meant as an intentional insult. It did catch me off guard, however I smiled back at her and said have a nice day as I walked out the door.

I have guys checking me out when I'm out shopping in casual clothes and long salt and pepper gray hair.
    I think its the Mary Ann vs Ginger popularity contest. I smile and have a figure that ages well.

Marion

Silver Member
    I definitely understand it feeling odd if it hasn't happened to you much before. But there's a conversation going on about pronouns and a lot of good people are trying to get them right. That's a good thing. The haters don't try, but who cares what they think.

The first time it was odd but not anymore.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Platinum Member
    Hi Cynthia , After a lifetime of being called Sir or Mr. It must take some getting used to.4

>>>>>>>>>>Orchid**00*
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I don't pass, so it doesn't matter how they call me, but for sure it feels good to be treated like "her" or "she", even when I know that the salesperson's job is to be nice and sell, sell and sell. Only once did someone call me "sir" in an offensive and despective way. I just ignored him and his comments.

I don't go out, but experience this when my wife posts in this forum and says "she" or otherwise uses female forms when speaking about me. Sometimes I ask her "why don't you use he, his, etc.", and she tells me "because that's the forums custom". I mean, I try to follow the forum's etiquette and use female forms (no pun) when speaking about members (I used to sometimes blow it at the beginning), but it sounds odd when it's my turn, and when somebody addresses us as "girls", I appreciate it's done as a nice gesture (so, no criticizing here), but deep inside me, I'm definitely not a "girl" and don't feel included.
    Still, I find it very brave of my wife to use these female forms, knowing how hard my coming out so late in the game badly struck her. While I'm sure I could accept her if she ever decided to present as a male once in a while (not a challenge when you are a crossdresser yourself), I am not so sure I could refer to her using male forms, like she does with female forms for me. Because it's not just presentation anymore. Being referred to as a "she" is like essentializing you as a female. Which is a disconnect with how I feel as a dresser.
    "So, I'm a crossdresser. Mmh. What's that thing, again?"

Considering telling your SO? Read this fine manual first: https://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?13841-How-to-tell-your-partner