Thread: Pride Month

Pride Month

Is there something special that CDer's should do for Pride Month?

Make sure we go out and be seen? What do you think?

Platinum Member
    You are under no obligations. If you want to show your support for LGBTQ rights you have lots of options besides attending an event. You might considers financial donation to a shelter that serves transgender homeless, for example, or to an organization that works to protect and advance the rights of transgender people.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    I have contributed to several organizations that service trans women of color. Why? A study by the National LGBTQ Task Force indicates that Black trans people have a 26% unemployment rate. That's twice as high as the unemployment rate for transgender people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds, and four times as high as the unemployment rate in the general population.

The study also found other shocking disparities; 41% of Black trans people have been homeless (more than five times the general population), 34% of Black trans people have household incomes less than $10,000 (more than eight times the general population), and nearly half of the Black trans population has attempted suicide.

When I was young and pondering the possibility of maybe letting the world know that I was trans and that I wanted to transition, the only trans people I had ever seen growing up were very poor black trans women who lived very difficult lives. That played a huge role in my decision to repress my feelings and stick with the status quo. That was a long time ago yet these women continue to face the same challenges despite the fact that society seems so much more open and welcoming to gender diversity (so long as you have a support network, I guess.)

I think it's important to help (in any way possible) severely disadvantaged members of the LGTBQIA++ community during a month when the rest of us have the ability to celebrate and drink to diversity and inclusion.
    Last edited by MonicaPVD; 06-15-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Platinum Member
    Hi Natalie , To each their own, What ever makes you feel good,>Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I've always wanted to join a "Pride Day" parade but they've always conflicted with my schedule or been too far from where I live.
    It would be nice to participate and be able to be out and open for once, if even just for a day.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

"...go out and be seen?" The short answer is "yes".
    The longer answer is yes, because every time we interact with those who are not familiar with transgender issues (using the "umbrella" definition of TG here), you normalize us. In other words, you let them see you (and us) as people, normal people. Yes, we are atypical, but part of a statistically normal distribution of gender identities/expressions, but the main thing to keep in mind is that giving them an opportunity to learn, by interacting with us, that we are not so different.
    And keep in mind, that interaction can rub off on those who only witness it, as opposed to being a part of it. I am reminded of a GNO event where a group of us were seated in the bar area of a busy restaurant. One patron, seated at the bar, kept scowling at us, obviously having a problem with our being there, but he also seemed bugged by the fact that we were being treated like any other patrons, by the staff and most of the other patrons. I view situations like this as teaching opportunities, and usually engage the subject as I would any stranger making eye-contact in such a situation, i.e. I respond with a big smile. The responses to this approach are nothing if not consistent. After one or more repetitions, the subject will expedite their exit. My theory is that when this happens, they've reached the awareness that they are in the minority, and they are forced to take action to alleviate the discomfort associated with realizing they're the outcast, not us. Yes, the dynamic changes somewhat, if the subject is part of a similarly disposed group, but you'd be amazed at how swiftly the staff or management will take action when the assholes, emboldened by their numbers, start being overtly rude.
    All of this is just a long-winded way of saying that we are always our own best ambassadors to the public at large.
    As Kim points out, none of us is obliged to take any specific action, but we should all do what we can, when we can.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

We should be proud 365 days of the year. We should always be visible as we owe it to the courageous ladies that have come before us and made it better for everyone.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

I like the 365 days a year proud as Kandi mentioned as when you make it a month special for our community, the rest of the year is for THEM.
    You divide society into US and Them...and we will never become all inclusive, in my opinion.
    Imagine going to a classroom and only reading inspiring things about the people who act and look like you only one month in a year.
    The rest of the year, society is defined by people who don’t look act and like you.
    We should celebrate our communities accomplishments on the days that they happened, as we do Independence Day, Christmas and New Years.
    Society is accepting of TG military, government officials, and medical needs thru insurance.
    Can't we unplug the marquee and just live inclusively where we live today?
    Earn acceptance by looking and doing your best to receive acceptance and "respect" for all of us.
    I fear our fears, in each of our own circles cause us to stereotype ourselves....will we ever be able to shed our Pride Month and just be like all the rest?
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

Attachment 321768

I start by showing the colors!
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Due to covid and personal issues I've not been to a Pride event for over 3 years, The next event will be on 18th September (covid permitting) and I can't wait! As others have said I'm proud to be what I am 365 days a year. As for this month thee are no events near me but all the lovely LGBT people are always in my thoughts.

Platinum Member
    Perhaps you should write your local, state and federal elected officials and tell them to vote down any and all discriminatory laws proposed at all levels of government.

Do you identify as LGBTQ? Then if you feel out enough or safe doing so, by all means get dolled up and go to Pride events, or be seen around town wearing rainbow accessories.

Not LGBTQ, but want to be a supportive ally? It’s fine for you to dress up and attend as well, but be aware that more people will assume you are LGBTQ, unless you wear a shirt or button declaring you are an ally. Also perfectly fine to show up en drab at pride events, just to be a supportive ally. Getting dolled up and being visible around town is up to you.

I am just me, and cannot be put into a box, or political movement. I do not like the word "pride", unless it is Charley Pride, or the humble pride in one's work. Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit comes before a fall. as one wise person wrote. A better word may be Acceptance. But, a whole month, is also weird, and we are so divided already, in this "me first" "us and them" sick society.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 06-24-2021 at 12:59 PM.

I think you don't know what you're talking but I understand you because when in the closet had nothing to be proud.

I know the religious context of Pride cuz I was one too but this pride is not about being more or better than others but just be one of everybody without shame of nothing.

I'm proud of being an honest person that had the guts of tell the truth and stop pretending, stop being an hypocrite with double life.

A whole month is for many reasons and for those belonging is not enough....

Devi a proud transexual woman....
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Torn View Post
    I am just me, and cannot be put into a box, or political movement. I do not like the word "pride", unless it is Charley Pride, or the humble pride in one's work. Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit comes before a fall. as one wise person wrote. A better word may be Acceptance. But, a whole month, is also weird, and we are so divided already, in this "me first" "us and them" sick society.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

I am who I am. Sounds simple but it took me a long time to accept that fact. Went through the "this is just a phase", "I just like wearing women's clothes", etc. I am becoming more and more comfortable in my skin. Transition is not on the table for a number of reasons; but that does not detract from who I am, 365 days a year not just one month.

Yes, go out, and Yes to what everyone has said above. Look for local Rainbow organizations to join and participate, even if only for Pride Month.

I joined the SF Pride organization where my best friend and an inactive member here who met me here for her first times out gave me and a new Trans Woman VIP treatment at the San Francisco Giants Pride movie night on their baseball field outfield.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Devi. Thank you. I have had to come to accept this part of me too. I am a man but have part of my brain that is more like a woman.