Thread: Anyone with an Ileostomy or Colostomy?

Anyone with an Ileostomy or Colostomy?

Hope this is the right place for this as I've been plucking up the courage to post but here goes.

Has anyone here got either of the above? I've lived with the former for 25 years and it plays havoc with my dressing which can be frustrating at times.

I hate the way my body looks as I'm always conscious of the bag being there and I just constantly try to conceal the fact which is not easy, However I do know that if it wasn't there I wouldn't be here either! It does get me down sometimes especially when I want to wear sexy lingerie etc which is my thing :-)

I have another added hurdle next week when I'm having heart stents done but will cross that bridge when I get to it,

So girls in the meantime is there anyone in my situation out there? Getting old is a pain in the behind!

Robyn ♥

Robyn,

As you say, we are here and alive and can enjoy life in a sometimes complicated way. I wish you the best and thanks for sharing such a personal hurdle for you. Having a positive attitude is always recommended.

Thanks Allie

My wife had a colostomy and yes it creates some self-image problems! Know that you are not alone and try to find joy where ever you can! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Mae View Post
    My wife had a colostomy and yes it creates some self-image problems! Know that you are not alone and try to find joy where ever you can! Hugs Lana Mae
    Thanks Lana for your kind words :-)

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Jenny 22 was a member here until she passed early this year, Robyn. I met up with her a number of times. But, never saw her bag. I never asked her about it, unfortunately. But, she favored long, full skirts and dresses. I assumed it was hidden somewhere under there? She went out dressed a lot her last couple of years!

She was a real inspiration for me and other dresser!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hi Robyn, my father had one in his late years. It can also happen to young people when a surgeon does an unfortunate cut, and I once read a blog from a young woman (Kangourou - kangaroo in French- Girl) explaining her social life (going to the restaurants with friends etc.) with a "stomy" (main point I remember: you have to empty it frequently). Some have even created online shops for decorated pouches so they can wear clothes that do not fully cover it.
    Last edited by DianeT; 06-22-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Robyn Rose: The "Bag" keeps you alive and healthy and that's what's important. My Brother Inlaw just got a new stent today and he's OK and will be home soon. God Bless You.
    SuziH

Robin Rose, Living with an Ostomy as much of a pain as it is to deal with, be thankful that your life goes on. The old hack of "given Lemons, just make Lemonaid" comes to mind. My dear wife had an ileostomy for years and then a Jejuostomy, I was her "Plumber" for those years and learned that, as she said, It's just another bump in the road, live with it. Wear what you want and just go and do it, life is too short to worry about it.
    Joanne

My cousin (a GG 2 months younger than me) had a Colostomy when she was 20. I've never talked with her about it; I didn't know how to start the conversation. But, I think she has had a pretty normal life. Met a guy a few years after her colostomy, got married, married 40+ years, had two children, what else could you want. Eventually, she got to control her stoma and go "bag free". Just never let it get her down.

BTW, still married and living at 68 y.o.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Robyn, several people have responded and been quite supportive of you. Perhaps some clothing suggestions would be helpful, also. You most likely know all this after 25 years. Because most ostomies are in the left or right lower quadrant of the abdomen, those waist lines that are higher will work better such as an empire waistline, often found in more classical style lingerie, or clothes that fit at the normal female waist and then are pleated around the waist. A dark body suit under lighter lingerie will give you an interesting look. You could substitute a skin toned body suit. Some ostomies can go without the bag for a short period of time, covered by gauze and a shield. Your doctor can help there. That leads to the question, have you asked your healthcare person if there is a method that allows you short times without the full bag system? You do not have to tell them why. William Boyd, an American actor who was Hopalong Cassidy in American Westerns (yes, I am that old!) performed and dressed as a cowboy for years with a colostomy. Hope something in all this was helpful.

Thank you all for your comments it's helped a lot.
    What a lovely bunch of girls you are