Thread: Patches

Patches

Hello everyone,
    I have a question and I don't know if this is right place but has anybody experienced or heard of any skin allergic reactions to estrogen patches? I have been contemplating on going on hrt but do not want to use needles or take pills.

Aspiring Member
    There are several brands for patches that my pharmacy sold me at the time I was on patches. It has adhesive on the back and its possible the actual adhesive is different. So if one brand doesn't work for you, ask if there is an alternative. I had reactions occasionally but couldn't pinpoint the cause. The skin would get red and will itch, causing me to replace the patch earlier than I had to.
    Overall, after 18 months I gave up on patches. My bloodwork was never predictable and I wasn't satisfied with my testosterone and estrogen levels. I think they just didn't work for me. As soon as I switched to injections, my bloodwork showed outstanding and predictable results for almost 2 years now.
    By the way, there are also implantable pellets that last 6 months or more. You can talk to your doctor.

I have been on patches for over three years. Estrogen injections are not available in my country. I too have suffered at times from an allergic reaction to the glue on the patches. Changing brands has helped, plus I also use estrogen gel at times, which is much easier on the skin. I accept the mild irritation from time to time, the benefits are overwhelming!

I tried patches as well but could never get them to "stick" for the full duration that they were supposed to be worn.

After that, tried a gel. Basically spread it on alternate thighs each morning, let it "dry" and then off you go.

Even with that I still had the same problem as Katya, could not get levels stable or predictable.

I'm now on an implant that gets placed in my side, once a year, that is working very well for me.

Best advice I can give you, talk to your doctor about this.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Hi, Amanda. 😊
    All three methods are effective, so whichever you and your care provider choose will get the job done.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Hiya - yesterday I was just talking with my Dr about allergic reactions to the patches. I used to get a small red patch that itched, but it was never annoying enough that it caused me problems. I used patches for the first 2 years. They rarely came off unexpectedly for me. But I was not able to achieve very high levels at all from them. I now use pellet implants and love them!

On patches that I replace twice a week since the beginning of 2017. Never had any reactions to the patches. Never had serious issues with them not sticking for their prescribed period. My T is basically 0, since before and, of course, after my orchiectomy. My estradiol readings is high just where my trans medical services wants it to be. I am happy and just have to change them twice a week, Sunday and Wednesday. As you can see, your results may vary. That is where your medical support team can help you out. Be proactive about your transgender health care because most medical care personnel know very little about it. Be your own advocate. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by AllieSF; 07-06-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Thank you ladies for your great insight. I have had issues with medical adhesives but will probably try the patches. Scheduling an appointment soon.

I’ve been on patches for about five years. My E is great and my T is almost nonexistent. I use Minivelle brand. They are very small and they stick very well. I’ve never had one come off. They are far superior in sticking power and the small size. Good luck.

Amanda, as you can see experiences can be different as different and variated human beings are (o love diversity and individuality).

I always read pamphlet pharmaceutic companies include in their products because they know what results and reactions or side-effects can happen (many medicines can produce allergic reactions)

I personally was my first 6 months on patches. I never liked for some allergic reactions, obviously to the glue, they never stay the show week, always red marks that could last 2 or 3 weeks after. I was interchanging positions from the two gluteos, then in front near the groin, so four alternatives but when I would get to the first it still some redness.

I asked the endo and she switch me to pills. More comfortable and soon red marks dissapeared.
    After a year on pills I didn't want to keep overloading my liver so ask to injections. Since that I'd been in more than year and half on it.

Never had problems with my E levels.

Can I ask why you don't want pills or injections?
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

I am afraid of needles and terrified of the potential damage that can develop to a person past 50. Planning on further discussing with my endocrinologist.