Thread: Almost 3 years of HRT, quit drinking and lost 30 lbs

Almost 3 years of HRT, quit drinking and lost 30 lbs

Hi everyone. I haven?t been on for a little while. But I am so thankful for this site and sharing with everyone through my journey. I started HRT 3 years ago and I really thought they would be magic pills that made it all better. Then at about a year in I felt stagnant and figured surgery would make it all better. But I was still drinking a lot, I was still depressed. I was striking out professionally and financially and I kept fixating on the transition steps. That would fix it all. And I don?t know when but I woke up one day and decided to make the best of it. I?m still struggling to start a career but what little money I do have, I?m more careful with. I enjoy my time more. I?m happier. It?s really the little things. And this week I was taking some pics for online content I make and just realized I?m getting there. Passing isn?t the goal. But I seemed to pass better after I spent time focusing on what counts. And I?m thrilled. Still looking forward to the next steps but I think I?m actually happy with right now. So the pictures show before HRT, one year in and the black top and white shorts is this week at 3 years, sober and 30lbs lighter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ashley, I think you look great! It is wonderful that you can share your progress, it makes me happy. Thank you.

Ashley welcome back and long time too.....Just one day at a time right? You are looking fantastic too...
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

You go girl! Great progress! Congrats on stopping drinking! Best wishes on your journey! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

You look great, Ashley. Congratulations on your progress.

Now... About those career goals. What field are you pursuing? Networking is important, and you have a bunch of sisters here, so throw it out there. What are you after?
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Aspiring Member
    Ashley,
    Thanks for sharing your journey. Congrats on being sober and you look beautiful and very attractive!
    More and more companies embrace diversity and my new company is actually strategically searching for diverse candidates. Would be good to know what field are you in.
    Katya

Ashley, you look pretty good. I am certain that you will be fine if you stay the course to happiness!!

Thank you everyone for such positive feedback. And since a few of you asked, my field is assisting with project management. I?ve done so at a medical implant company, non profit, an hvac company. And lastly I was at a firm that contracted workers out to clients to PM in the IT field but that didn?t last long. When I got hired I went full time and really have a feeling that being trans was a big reason I didn?t get placed anywhere. Apart from being trans, the biggest hurdle I have is not having a degree. I was lucky to find a few positions without one before, but I think that well has run dry. And i hit a bit of a catch 22. I was in school for a while and struggled financially, or I would work and struggle in school. That frustration led to drinking and drinking led to being less productive for about 3 years. So now the most impressive parts of my resume are more than 5 years old. There are gaps in employment and still no degree. I?m happy to take any leads or recommendations (in or around DC), but I really feel like I won?t make any progress until i finish school. Which I?m currently working on at a snails pace. And I work an hourly job just to pay the bills for now.

Banned Read only
    Hey love, thanks for sharing. Regarding your career, I'd like to offer a suggestion as someone who never completed my degree yet done pretty well in the corporate world.

You are in your 30s and, by this point, have ammassed a body of professional and personal experiences that transcend a degree. You should be proud of your accomplishments and your struggles. They have made you who you are today.

Since you are in the field of project management, I would recommend that you look into certification programs offered online that are quick and often low cost or free. Google has one via Coursera. In today's job market, having this type of recent, relevant, and easily attainable credential is much much more valuable than a 15-20 year old university degree.

Regarding the gaps in employment, you are the master of your narrative. What were you doing during those gaps that helped you grow professionally and personally? Just because you may not have a linear time line of employment as a project manager doesn't mean that it was dead time. Create your narrative, I'm sure it's a very compelling one.

Believe in yourself. You are amazing. Period.

Aspiring Member
    He Ashley,
    Another option is to get hired for whatever position you can in a good company with good corporate culture, and inclusive environment and benefits and climb the ladder within. I often see that it is often a matter of showing initiative, and the will to learn and step up to the challenge, will get you quite far in a company.
    Good luck.

I agree that this is a good strategy. I?ve been applying for positions as low as mail room clerk or data entry with no luck. And I mean scouring job boards daily and tweaking my resume with keywords for each job listing. I?m a member of a dozen job seeker groups and I research resume tips. Often I don?t even get any response at all.

Wow. Nice pictures by the way. I struggle with alcohol as well, due to never knowing any happiest in life, even with trans therapy. All I knew was pain and despair from the start of childhood. However, I say this only for me, I needed to stop taking things so seriously on universal concepts on how things should or shouldn't be in the old guard perspective by just finding something to gravitate to. I feel better about myself in exchange for love ones.