Thread: Skirts and Dresses

Skirts and Dresses

The other day at the grocery store, 2 different skirts and two different dresses! 4 different ladies all fab and all within the same 1/2 hour! It was about 10 AM and a weekday! So much for ladies don't wear dresses/skirts that much anymore! LOL Have you seen more in a 1/2 hour? Let us know! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I just got back from a lake side bar and pizza place. Plenty of women wearing casual summer skirts and sun dresses and a few wearing heels of some sort. Mostly basket weave or cork wedges. One 65-70 year old gal dressed to the nines in a short sun dress and wedges. She actually wore it well! She looked a lot better the the 300 pound gal in short shorts and a tank top!

Yes skirts and dresses are back in style this summer. I have seen a good bit of women in both Texas and California wearing them this summer. I picked up some maxi dresses and skirts in the spring.

Hugs
    SM

I'm happy to see a fair number of women wearing dresses in grocery stores here, far more than just two or four. But I expect it depends where you live. It's hot in the summer where I live, so it makes sense to wear a sundress or a nice cool skirt. Don't forget, while pants are cold weather gear among other things, traditional Arab robes are sensible wear for a hot climate, protecting from the sun while allowing air to circulate and cool the body. That's the nature of a "dress" (bearing in mind that "robe" is also the French word for a "dress"). Thank goodness for the sun! Though plenty of women here wear shorts also, and show off their legs.

I also wonder whether dresses and skirts versus pants are a "cultural" fashion choice from one region to another, including different regions of the United States. I'm in the Southwest (which does not mean California, though I don't know what women there are wearing today since I haven't been there for ages). How about the Deep South, which combines sunshine with traditionalism? Do women there wear more skirts and dresses compared with the Northeast, say? Is Florida different from Alabama? How about the Midwest? And do Montana women break out in skirts and dresses in their hot summers as a relief from their frigid winters? Or are they culturally wedded to cowboy fashions where jeans rule the roost year-round? Would I be instinctively right in guessing that women in the Pacific Northwest are least likely to wear skirts and dresses? It would be a fascinating question to investigate. And that's before we even get started on other parts of the world where so many of our members live! England, mild winters but cool summers, rain every five days... is it more a pants-wearing country for women? How about the fashion-conscious French? Do women in the sunny South wear skirts and dresses more than Parisiennes?

Does Global Warming have its compensating benefits? Will it help to get more women back into skirts and dresses? These are momentous questions indeed! What a great topic for a doctoral thesis!
    Last edited by Lori Ann Westlake; 07-25-2021 at 07:51 PM.

I did a day on the boardwalk by the lake and seen most women wearing beautiful casual summer dresses. Even my wife wore a long summer dress, I was so envious and my wife teased me how bad did I want to be wearing one. We laughed about it.

I think age are also play a factor here.

I know that in South America, dresses are worn a lot more than in most of North America. And Eastern European and Russia seem to more into dresses and hose and heels too.

Platinum Member
    Hi Lana Mae, MyWife who never wears Skirts & Dresses, Has started wear Summer dresses again, I Love it.

>>>>>>>>>>Orchid**00**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I?ve always loved seeing women in skirts and dresses (the best part of going to church as a kid). My daughter is a professional in her 30?s and often wears dresses to work, and my wife is wearing skirts/skorts more now.

I went to the store yesterday and asked my wife her opinion of wearing a skort. She suggested that it might draw too much attention to me, so I wore a pair of capris. However, I saw a lot more dresses at the store than usual. I think the skort would have blended well. I wondered if it might be a Sunday thing. Maybe there is a dress/skirt revival (hip-hip-hooray!). I'll be watching carefully to see if this is a trend.

Platinum Member
    My sister in law wore a casual, white summer skirt on Saturday. I decided not to mention that I had one almost identical to it.

Kimdl,

You should have, it would have been a fantastic conservation! Maybe not.

Davina

I live in Las Vegas and if I drive down the strip I can't count the number of dressess and skirts. The tourists seem to dress a little better when here.

Quote Originally Posted by xam View Post
    I think age are also play a factor here.
    I don't know about that. I saw dresses from 65'ish down to single digit ages. Many were worn by high school and college aged girls, but there was a good amount of older girls wearing dresses too.

Lana, I think your observations are correct. There does appear to be a noticeable uptick in the wearing of skirts and dresses. Here in Colorado which is so incredibly outdoorsy pants, shorts, leggings etc are still the dominant dress of most women, but I do sense there are more women wearing the more traditional attire in places like stores. Of course, as we all know, these kinds of things exhibit some cycle patterns. In a few years dresses and skirts will fade a bit and then come back. Even a modern version of the 1920's flapper attire is making a bit of a comeback as well as Mary Jane shoes. Maybe it is just a longing for a simpler time to counteract the complexity of the world today. The great part is that now it is a choice and not an expectation as it was 100 years ago.

Platinum Member
    I'll have to start making a mental note of how many women in dresses I see in the stores. A few days ago my attention was drawn to a woman wearing a yellow floral dress. Dresses are still a rarity with the except of Sundays. The best place of Sunday dress observation is Costco. The church goer seem to head to Costco for inexpensive hot dogs and to pickup a easy dinner. One woman I have noticed always wearing a dress is Dr. Jill Biden. I hardly, if ever, see Madame Vice President wearing a dress.

If I got in my car and drove down the highway I would be more likely to see women wearing shorts and top mowing with riding mowers than dresses. The more rural of an area the fewer dresses in small towns. If I went to the grocery store I might see some sun dresses and women on lunch break from nearby offices. I don?t do bars since giving up drinking but I imagine there might be a few after work during happy hour. Our favorite place to go out to eat is adjacent to a golf course and there might be some wearing casual skirts out on the course.

The summer night life reveals a plethora of young women in dresses and skirts. I'm visiting NJ right now, down the shore, where the younger people play. So, lots of ladies trying to inspire interest from the men.... and that very often means, short skirts and dresses.
    In the office parks, where there are benches situated with grassy areas with trees and bushes, and food merchants within walking distance, I will occasionally bring my lunch, and just go and sit with my laptop or ipad, and watch the girls go by during their lunch hour from work. Also plenty of dresses and skirts in sight.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    It will always depend on your area. Here in a small rural city in the northeast, in the summer it is probably 1 to 15 skirts/dresses to pants/short pants. In the winter, 1 to 75. I did see one woman in an early 60s style white dress the other day, vintage hairdo, no heels or hose though. So you never know what you will see.