Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The year you were born

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar

The year you were born

I love the old movies. I was watching one from 1955 this morning. OMG! The fashion. Pointy bullet bras under sweaters, long skirts and saddle shoes. Garter belts, hose and heels. Everyone looked like Bettie Page .

So, what was the fashion in the year you were born? Do you embrace/emulate it?

I know I do!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Platinum Member
    Not at all. I thought the popular styles of the 50s were peculiar then and I find them even more peculiar today. I put 50’s styles in the same category as fender skirts and fins on cars…functionally pointless and excessive.

I don't remember what was in style back then, but No I certainly don't emulate it.
    I have no desire to be June Cleaver.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I love 'em all! Working on some super full dresses with huge petty coats now!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    Poodle skirts and midi dresses?

Not for me!

I was born in the '70's (the decade that taste forgot) so you can safely guess that i don't wear fashions from the era of my birth.
    I am more influenced by what women wear nowadays.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Born in 49 but like late late 50s to mid 60s a lot.

I don't femulate my birth year, but I did develop an awareness of fashion maybe nine or ten years later, and that was the 60s, and yes, that has had a big influence on my dressing styles.

the fashion the year born ;

Dresses and skirts, plaids, ginghan, florals. Bright colors were popular.Shirtwaist dresses slipped over the head.

Quiffed hair

short curls
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Platinum Member
    1942, When ladies always dressed to Impress, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Born in the boots made for walkin' era, the women in my young years wore skirts a little longer than in Nancy's music video, but hey, now you know why I loved pantyhose back then (heck, I still do. 50 years passed and I didn't progress a bit. Epic fail. Sigh).

Please define each decade period fashion because I have no clue at all.

6a010536b86d36970c026bdece100d200c.jpg This was the fashion the year I was born. I'm not a fan. I'm more a fan of the clothes from the 50s than the early 60s.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I was born in '54 but I'm a huge fan of Classic Film Noir which was on the wane by that time. Mostly I like the period from the end of WWII to when I was born. I always liked the fashions of those Film Noir bad girls. I never tried to emulate them, though. Even for me, some things are sacred.

Silver Member
    I grew up in the 50s. Girls wore bobby socks. nylon panties became common after the war and replaced rayon. I had a bullet bra. As I got older I wore panty girdles and long leg panty girdles. Girls liked them as it kept the guys out of their panties.

Carla, my year is 1959 so not much different than you. Some of the full skirts are attractive and the longer straight skirt and jacket can look good to. But I am more bodycon dresses which I probably should not wear! I do have one full skirt dress. I keep thinking about buying a crinoline slip to fluff it up a bit.

Attachment 322629

1960's here....
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

1954 but I prefer the early 70's from my high school years.
    Joni

Yes, I'm thinking the fashions of the years you got to puberty are probably more likely to be the ones that stick in your brain.

Betty Paige was so sexy and so was Marylin. I like the undergarments from the early '50s but I'm not crazy about the June Cleaver dresses etc.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMe,Rhonda View Post
    Yes, I'm thinking the fashions of the years you got to puberty are probably more likely to be the ones that stick in your brain.
    Rhonda, I agree with you about the year(s) that you enter puberty. The seed might already be planted in your childhood years, but that seed blossoms during the years of puberty when we become much more aware and sensitive to what is around us. I was born in 1948, but I love the fashions of the 50s and into the 60s. Intriguing ladies undergarments, nylon stockings and dresses and skirts everywhere certainly overwhelmed my initiation to the world of sexual curiosity.
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

1975. Prefer today's fashion.

I hate that when I see the incredibly beautiful dresses in the movies of the 40s and 50s I want them so bad.
    You can imagine what they would cost!

I loved women in the 60s and still have some fondness for girdles, I can see why they phased out, can you imagine wearing one all day at work, ya right!
    Last edited by Judy-Somthing; 08-11-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Gold Member
    I was born in 1947. In the 50's most women wore a skirt or a dress.
    Pants where very hard to find unless it was because they where working.

Born in 55. As a MIAD I don?t emulate any decade but liked bits of pretty much every decade. To wear, I gravitate towards current styles that are cute/comfortable.