Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The year you were born

I am with Carla on this one. Back in the late 40s and early 50s Those ladies had style and grace.

I was born in 68, so I suppose I would have a hippy look, which I wouldn't be against trying - long dresses, long hair etc, but I'm not going braless! And I'm definitely not letting my body hair grow back! 😁

I think I prefer today's fashions though, or maybe if I could choose, a 50s housewife look.

Born in 54 and I think it's fair to say that you can find dresses and skirts hanging on the shop rails today that wouldn't look out of place back then.

My earliest recollection of a fashion from my childhood was those skirts with the starched underskirts that stuck out at about 45 degreyes.

Those things could decapitate a young child they were so rigid.

Well I was born in 1977 but naturally don't recall what the fashions were. Presumably whatever was the fashions of the late 70s, early 1980.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Born in 1977 so naturally don't recall the fashions back then so presumably whatever were the fashions of the late 70s, early 1980s.

I was born in1962. At the time everyone was obsessed with what Jackie wore. Back then I was more into diapers than dresses. It wasn't until a few years later when I started paying more attention to what all the girls were wearing.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

Born in 1945, at the end of WW II. By then the economy was in the dumps and looking back at what most people wore everyday was pretty sad. But by the 50's the economy had recovered and people had more money to spend on clothes. My mother had so many beautiful dresses and all the undergarments to match and create a figure that was a bit of an illusion. I tried on a lot of them. Hooked me good and satisfied the young girl that was in me. Then I got caught and my world changed, and not for the better.

Aspiring Member
    The 70s. The decade that taste forgot. Krea, that is excellent description. How true. I wrote that one down to give to my grown fashionista daughter, who ridicules 70s fashion at every opportunity. Though I did not consider myself fortunate at the time to be in the military in assignments that required uniforms 24/7 during most of that decade, it was better than being condemned to wear 70s fashion.

In the late 50s, the decade of my birth, in my rural Midwest US community, big girl fashion did pretty well. My Mum looked GOOD in her Sunday dress and heels. Grandma, not so much. She was not a fashion plate like Mum and Auntie. But for the young girls my age, it was the era of dress up your daughter as frilly as you can afford, in curls, satin and lace, and white tights with patent leather shoes. It was a golden age and yet, for me, spent on the drab side of an abyss that none crossed publicly.

Two of my sisters embraced it. The other fought it. That still describes their appearance sixty years later. Mum still turns heads at age 90. She had no shortage of attention after Dad died. Dad found ways to look truly dapper, though with a somewhat retro 30s vibe. He actually looked great. So did his Grandpa. Their neckties and suits shouted Great Gatsby. I did my best swimming upstream against some cold fashion currents among my peers to keep up with them.

I was born in the early fifties. We were in a "working poor" community, and fashion wasn't something that got a lot of attention.
    I vaguely remember my sister getting a poodle-type skirt (it didn't actually have a poodle on it) but I don't think she wore it much. I was pretty young back then, but I think I remember sneaking in a try-on.
    What I remember fondly is when mini skirts were popular. By then I was old enough to have TWO reasons to like them.

I was born in 1950, so, grew up in the 50's and 60's. So the fashions were from that era. A lot of the movies shown on TV in those days were from the 30'ds and 40's as well. So 4 decades of influence when fashion was distinctly binary, and women's fashions in particular were elegant and feminine.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

I'm a modern girl (despite my age) so I dress for the 21st century. That said, Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn brought a lot of class to the table while the hippies brought a lot of fun!

Born in 51. Love the lingerie from the early 60s. All that pretty silky nylon and lace and Mrs. Robinson pulling on her gartered stockings.

Born in 54. I honestly can’t remember the styles from the 60?s but that is when I began wearing my mother?s tights; a prelude to my dressing. I think current fashions offer a more gender neutral look which I love.
    Last edited by Angela Marie; 08-19-2021 at 09:10 AM.

I was born when dresses were beautifully feminine and skirts were modestly displayed below the knee. To give you a hint about my age, the movie "Gone With The Wind" had just been released the year that I was born.

1952. That makes me 13 in 1965...perfect age for those 60s styles I wish never went away...the tight super short skirts,"go-go" boots as they called them - such a goofy name for something I found so alluring. And the hairstyles. I clearly recall my first celebrity crush was Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes. In a way I still search for that ideal...super sexy and so cool.

I was born at the very end of the 80s, which means shoulder pads in bright colors and animal print. Definitely not something I pine for.

I was born in 1936 and my memories are vague until I was about 10. In the late 1930s we were still recovering from the depression then straight into WWII. So there was austerity all round and clothes had to last.
    Then Dad came home from war and we became a family again and Mum started to wear new things. The ones that really attracted me were the beautiful underwear sets she bought. This is where my love of lingerie came from and I still love the frocks, especially the summer ones with big skirts and the winter suits with pleated skirts, padded shoulder jackets and pretty blouses.

1964. Really started noticing the world around me at 7-8 years old. 1970's? They were great!
    I'm a man. I like being a man. I also love wearing women's clothing. It's my way to show honor, respect and solidarity with them.

I was born in 1945 and started trying on my sisters slips and dresses when I was about 5 or 6. My favorite style of clothing was when I was in High school, I loved the girls thght sweaters and full skirts; unfortunatuly not much of a call for that attire now days..................................Debra

I was born in the narrow window when there were 49 states in the US.
    Vintage clothing is fun to look at, but I don?t wear it.

I was a 1938 arrival, just as the depression was ending. I have a pic of me at the 1939 New York World's Fair, sitting in a stroller, but don't remember, heck I was only 1-YO !
    Joanne

1969 and I have pictures of my mother at that time and I have occasionally tried to emulate them. This makes me sound odd(er), but that is what it is. My interest in cross dressing was never higher than when my mother was preparing for a night out and transforming herself. That is what I wanted to do, too. However the fashions of the early to mid eighties really inspired me. As someone else on here pointed out, puberty time.

I was born at the dawn of the 1970's and do love the styles of the latter part of the decade which spilled into the early 80's.

Maxi dresses, midi dresses, platforms, wedges, flesh toned hose with everything - yay

I also like plenty of styles from before and after the late 70's and enjoy the current styles suitable for a mature lady in her early fifties many of which hint at a bygone era
    Lots of Love Lilly xx

Not me in the avatar but the lovely Jenny Powell who I loved so much

I was born in the mid 60's and loved the clothing of that time. Short skirts and dresses, boots, Mary Janes, tights. Most of the girls wore dresses and skirts back then. I wasn't a big fan of the 70's when mini skirts went away for a short while, but loved the 80 fashions and dresses in particular. That's when I wore my first dress of my then girlfriend. It was a huge rush when I finally zipped it up in the back for the first time and slipped on some pumps.

90?s child. I can?t think that it was a particularly defining period for fashion but having my formative years around the millennium I can say that low cut jeans, strappy tops and Britney certainly left their mark

I was born in 1948, and am very partial to mid-50s fashion. Makes sense, since I started cross-dressing when I was 7 (1955).