Thread: Disappointed

Reality Check

Disappointed

The other day I was all dolled up and the phone rang. I could see it was nobody I knew and an out of state call so I decided to answer in my best "female" voice. The guy asked for "Jane" and since there is nobody here named jane, I told him so and that he must have the wrong number. All in my best female voice.

He said "Thank you sir."

I guess I need to work on that female voice a bit. Maybe record myself and listen to the recording.
    Krisi

If only there was something like foundation but for the voice. Something to hide all the audio imperfections.

Yep, recording yourself is an eye or should I say ear opener. What you think sounds nothing like you, you're best femme voice, just sounds like a different male with an odd, sometimes camp accent.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Platinum Member
    Some times I call home and leave a message for myself on the answering machine. I'll listen to it later. There's no hope for me in the voice department. It's probably easier to learn American Sign Language than change my voice.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Voice is one of the biggest give aways for girls who can actually pass!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

My wife wonders if I ever intend to go out in public dressed. Not with this voice! My voice is a 62 year old man, plus I just can not get my walk to look feminine. The best I can hope for would be an endogenous look, high heels, skinny jeans in male mode.

Don't be too hard on yourself, and by that I mean at all. Once male puberty has changed our voice, it is extremely difficult to change it back. Even with surgery to permanently alter the pitch range of our vocal cords (a procedure with a seriously hit-miss-disaster track record) extensive training with a skill professional is usually required to acquire a feminine voice. I have a "trained" voice (voice actor, announcer, singer) but can't pull it off because I have not had that very specific training.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

I have the right pitch as I'm petite but it took the assistance of a professional for me to properly modulate my voice. As well as a month of dedicated practice!

Marion

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I've gotten mam'ed with out trying and sir'ed while looking my best. No rhyme or reason to it. Don't let it get you down.

I have downloaded a Voice Pitch Analyzer app onto my phone. Then try as I may, I tried to get up to the female tones. It was a no go. My voice is just too deep. My average base resonance is 131 hz. woman are up around 210 hz. It boils down on mouth cavity and vocal cord size and shape.
    Even some women are still down in the male region. So learn what a woman says, pauses etc.
    As for the walk, take shorter steps, never take a step with a gap longer than your shoe, and practice walking on a line, like the seam in the floor tile or sidewalk, swing one foot in front of the other with no spraying your steps off to the sides, keep your toes and heels on that line. this will give you a bit of a hip sway.
    Men tend to walk with the left foot an inch or two to the left of the line and the right foot an inch or two to the right side of the line leaving room for their male package to swing smoothly. A mans walk is like a stance of power, a space between his feet, normally directly below his shoulders. I have also noticed that woman walk swing their arms with the inside of the elbow and palm of the hand facing more forward, where a man rolls his elbow joint and hands toward his body. so roll the palms of your hand forward when you walk even when you are just standing.
    Hope that my observations ares of some help.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Somewhere I heard a ultra true statement, "You got top know your limitations." My answer to this problem which I am sure I have as bad or worse than anyone on here, voice. Was to always have my wife to do all the talking for both of us. I never had to explain or stand by and be questioned as to why she did the talking, simply moved on or ignored the situation. This wouldn't work without a wife or assistant, could even be a male accompanying you to do the same. Just my answer to an unsolvable problem short of playing "dumb."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

So much work to a girl....lol
    As many as 43 percent of all people with gender dysphoria attempt suicide in their lives. dont let yourself become part of that very tragic statistic.
    Balance-Dignity-Acceptance-Responsibility-

Like most here, I have a guy voice. If someone is close enough to me to talk to me, I assume they have already figured out I might not be a GG.

I've been out with GG friends before and have gone into the loo with them. They will start talking over the stalls and I am generally reluctant to answer. After we're out of the restroom I'll tell them about my reluctance to talk. They have told me they just hear Dee's voice.

I also checked into a hotel a couple of months ago as Dee (guy name as the reservation). Handed the clerk my ID (driver's license) and credit card (guy name, guy picture on back). Clerk is a bit confused, and asked "is <guy name> here?". I just pointed to myself. Maybe I'm not as clocked as I assume.
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/

There are women with deep voices and men with higher pitched voices, so talking in a higher pitch is only part of it. I don't know how Johnny Carson did it! Maybe it helps if one can do impressions other than trying to sound fem? Robin Williams?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Musical training helps, because you are trained to listen to exactly what’s being played rather than just reacting to a tune. Women's voices have a different song than men's. Try repeating things you’ve heard women say, repeating the pitch changes as exactly as possible. You'll see what I mean. Hope this helps.

Reality Check
    The guy on the phone couldn't see my womanly figure, clothes or hair. Maybe my voice would have sounded more female to him if he had seen who he was talking to. Or maybe not. Obviously, I need to work on my voice.
    Krisi

I sometimes think I'm not a proper cross dresser. Because I honestly don't care about changing my voice. In fact, it would interfere with my personality if I even tried.

MiniRock, very few of my CD or TG friends change the way they talk when dressed. Voice training seems to be more important to those that want to pass completely. Or those that are truly trans.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Reality Check
    I am not "truly trans", but when I go out in public, my goal is to be seen as a woman and not a crossdresser. I try to avoid situations where I have to speak, but of course, someone passing on the sidewalk is sure to say something like "Good morning" or "Beautiful day, isn't it?" and it would be rude not to respond.
    Krisi

When someone greets you on the street, it’s usually ok to respond with just a smile.

I guess I need to work on that female voice a bit. Maybe record myself and listen to the recording.
    Hi Krisi I am sorry and I realize your frustration. Actually I had a reverse conversation with the VA. The woman kept calling me mam. I had to interrupt her and really ask, "do I sound like a woman to you"? She said yes....and actually told her I smoke cigars etc. My GG said I sound like a man/manly.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.