Thread: Working as Katherine

Working as Katherine

So, I have an opportunity to do a little traveling for work and I am dying to dress. Unfortunately it is SOOO hot this time of year and this is outdoor work. The catch here is I work for a sign and graphics company and this work involves installing some window graphics in other cities that are within driving range. There are several women in my line of work so that isn't a big deal and the work is on exterior windows/doors so I won't have to interact with anyone. In fact, most of these locations are by appointment so there may not be anyone there at all. I am just trying to get the courage to do this. I would have to get dressed in the car and do some quick makeup in order to be remotely passable. Unless I wear full hip/but pads, pants are out of the questions so I am working on the right dress/leggings combo for the occasion.

Any way, I just wanted to share my current desire.

Silver Member
    So the women in your field can work in the heat and you don't want to. I wear women's clothes full time. In summer I wear women's tees with shorts or jeans. I don't worry about passing. In 50 years I've only had a few people mention my CDing. I wear a bra even on hot days.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 08-16-2021 at 09:38 PM.

It's not that I don't want to work in the heat, it's that I sweat a lot and adding a wig and forms only makes it worse. My makeup would be a mess.

Silver Member
    I understand, but the only way is to accept that you will look like a guy wearing fem clothes. The other way is to work early or late each day to save the makeup.

If you have thought this out and really want to do it and are willing to stand up to the worse case possible, then go for it. If you don't you will always regret it and wonder "what if." But I would certainly go 100% other wise you are leaving the door open to get made.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

You should consider one of the clients seeing you and possibly mentioning it to your company. If you are ok with that then go for it.
    Crissy

I empathize about the heat. I only dress in the winter when icebergs are floating on the river and penguins are knocking on the windows for some food.
    Last edited by DianeT; 08-17-2021 at 05:11 AM.

Reality Check
    If you decide to go through with this, you really need to consider what an actual woman would be wearing while doing this sort of work. Since it's physical work and possibly on ladders, I would think a dress would be inappropriate. Since it's hot weather, tights would be inappropriate.

I have always thought (and posted) that mixing crossdressing and your job is a very bad idea. You could end up losing your job over it. My suggestion is to forget about this, do your job as a male and come back home to dress.
    Krisi

If you decide to do it, here are some notes from a Florida girl about managing the heat. Short lightweight summer dresses are the best. Forget leggings or stockings as no GGs wear them in the summer heat anyway. The wig is the biggest heat problem. Skip the wig and wear a nice wide brim floppy feminine hat. Many Florida women put their hair up inside a hat to keep cool. Add a nice pair of earrings. Waterproof makeup is useful. Remember not to wipe your face when sweating. Just pat your forehead with a small towel.

Enjoy,,
    Vale

Silver Member
    A bad idea for many reasons, the biggest one is it might get back to your employer. Don't risk your job, they are very hard to come by these days. Keep dressing and work separate.

It is not a liberal society, I would update the CV asap if you do it.

So they client is expecting Ken to show up but here comes Katherine? What is your explanation for that? And if they try and contact Katherine then what? Yes being her and working is great even in the heat. But unless this is something you are ok with your boss knowing I would avoid doing so. I have no worries becaise they all know me is as Jennifer but that was from the start.

One of the self-imposed rules I have followed is to never do anything as Teresa that will threaten my income, or make my wife and I vulnerable to criticism with friends, family, co-workers, social circles, church groups, etc. We have worked hard to achieve a certain station in life that we want to protect.

Bottom line: we are very careful about when and where we go together as "girl friends". When I am out by myself as Teresa I have more latitude because my male persona is not easily recognized. Be safe.

Sometimes its really hard to keep our pink cloud fantasies in check. Don't feel bad. It happens to all of us. Opps, I should never say "all".
    Last edited by Teresa.Smith.VA; 08-17-2021 at 03:15 PM. Reason: edit
    I honor my wife's request that I not post pictures.

I am going to echo what some others here have stated , I really would not do this .

This happened to my late fiance who showed up dressed ( he needed no wig either ) to the job as a senior winemaker/enologist at a large VERY prominent winery here in California after his norCal trans group falsely propped him up with pep talks . The winery dismissed him right then and really he never worked again and was VERY broke and was forced to do some really BAD unsavory things to try to get by . He was pretty much stuck with his mom the last 10 years of his life. No winery anywhere on the west coast would have him. He really could not even get a job at a 7/11 . Some here might but he could not .
    Last edited by Dutchess; 08-17-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    IG : Knightress Oxide

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. With the weather the way it is lately, it is just too hot for me to be passable. I guess this is more of a pink fog than anything.

Luckily for me, being outed during this wouldn't effect my employment, just possibly be an awkward moment at the time. The project does not involve using ladders or anything crazy and is more just driving to each little location for a few minutes at each place.

It?s hot here in central Texas, and I find the most comfortable tops are ribbed tank tops. Skirts are much cooler than pants (in either sense of the word.) Mid thigh length is both cool and professional. Wigs are hot though and so are breast forms.

Remember, the pink fog is our friend!
    Last edited by CynthiaD; 08-18-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchess View Post
    I am going to echo what some others here have stated , I really would not do this .

This happened to my late fiance who showed up dressed ( he needed no wig either ) to the job as a senior winemaker/enologist at a large VERY prominent winery here in California after his norCal trans group falsely propped him up with pep talks . The winery dismissed him right then and really he never worked again and was VERY broke and was forced to do some really BAD unsavory things to try to get by . He was pretty much stuck with his mom the last 10 years of his life. No winery anywhere on the west coast would have him. He really could not even get a job at a 7/11 . Some here might but he could not .
    Sound advice and a stark cautionary tale. I likewise know a lady who transitioned in a large medical company. I cannot speak to previous consultations with management but after she became Daniele she was cashiered with severance within weeks.
    By the ethos of the HR policy and diversity claims she should have been able to stay, I never heard issues of performance prior to her change but HR policies are ideals and companies can adjust staff at will for business needs so long as the compensate with appropriate severance so they called her in, handed her her check and similarly never worked in the industry again as far as I know. Sadly, even after departure people could not seem to speak of Daniele with equal digniity and respect as Danielle - they always said " Daniel" - oh sorry - " Danielle" with a smirk as if she was " not one of us" in a basic sense. Like Groucho Marx says - if its not my bed - why should I worry about what goes on, be as kind and respectful , and more, as you would to others.
    Last edited by kellyanne; 08-18-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Silver Member
    Company diversity policies are not worth the paper they are written on, especially in "at will employment" states. If a company wants to get rid of someone for being trans (or whatever), they can find another reason to get rid of them. I know some local trans people who worked in places with diversity policies, and it didn't save them from being fired.

No, they will find a way to get rid of you if they want too, and cover their tracks well.