Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing night

Disappointing night

We went to a friends new house who relocated for a new job and had a house warming get together.
    If started with a man complaining something about a male soccer player who is playing on a female soccer team and how that's so wrong and we are giving the transgender to much freedom. Well we were all into a few drinks now and people are more free and speaking there minds now. It started "I seen one last week it was disgusting", "Thank God my children didn't end up like that, I'd rather have my children coming out gay then that". The circle started getting bigger and more complaints, a women complaining why we should be spending money on transgendered washrooms let them shit there pants if they want to be that way.
    My heart rate started to rise listening to this and when they turned to me and my wife how we felt about it. My wife responded very short and said it really isn't any of her business what people choose to do in there lives and she would support her children not only if they are transgender but whatever they decided. I added that transgender isn't digusting but when a parent that doesn't support there children, now thats disgusting to me and sad.
    Well I guess they thought we we're supporters and the conversation broke up. When we were driving home my wife said we could have taking it further but all we would be doing is putting a dent in a very large truck. She said it seems like more people are excepting but she has a feeling it's like a women with a lot of makeup on, she tries to look younger but when you take it off it's always the same old face under. In our Itaian culture we have a saying " a wolf chances it's fur, but it never changes its instinct".
    I was very disappointed last night and see a long road ahead, sorry if I ruined anyone's day. I just need to vent.

It is disappointing to be sure, Maria, and yes there is a long road ahead. We are all going to run into this from time to time. However, there is a large group out there, maybe even a majority at this point, that does not subscribe to such medieval thought. We are making our voices known, even as others struggle to realize the world is changing...for the better.
    I's going to be a long haul, but I think history will be on our side.
    Having said that tho, we must be ever vigilant about laws coming up in many states - some have already passed - that deal with restrictions on transgender athletes, transgender children and the like. Alabama's recent laws spring to mind.
    So yes...a long road ahead. Some folks are not going to change, but the world is, and we have already embraced the change. I feel good that I and most of us here are a part of it.

Where I used to work there was a large amount of homophobia going on. If I was around I would put an end to it. I know a few people in same sex marriages and they are decent people and I went let the guys at work know it. The conversation would die pretty fast after that!

Maria, it is sad, sad to find out who your friends are, or are not. Obviously none of the people there are "safe" so best you found out now, they some more personal way. I also wonder if everyone felt that way. Sometimes in a group, many people just join in agreement because it seems like the ting to do. They don't think about it, and if they did perhaps they might respond differently.

Thanks for posting this - it is not a pleasant experience but it is part of life for now

Platinum Member
    Lots of hostility in that group. I guess they enjoy having small, obscure and absent minorities around to pick on.

Sorry to hear of your negative experience
    The unprompted and just public condemnation of others always says more about the person saying it than the object of their scorn.
    For all our talk, western society's view of gender has roles has remained very conservative. People nod to liberal values at work and in public but few accept it in private.
    The segregated one person TG washroom proclaimed as a policy of enlightened tolerance is an example. The put a half skirt symbol on the door and a TG can use that room but as far as I know there is no area of Canada where a TG man can use a female washroom without risking arrest and prosecution. On the aversion to mixed sports, to my mind it is all about the protected status on one gender - the real fear is not of a TG but loss of a privileged status akin to ladies able to join the men's health club but not the reverse.
    In my area people seem to care more about the sexual orientation of others more than their own which has perplexed me my whole life. I would not underestimate the psychological power of transference and displacement. That is , if I have unresolved sexuality issues - it can manifest itself as public dislike of others who have the traits within me I cannot accept .

The good news is the young of today are no so red neck and things are slowly but surely getting better.
    Last edited by kellyanne; 08-22-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Reality sets in. I have FB friends that make fun of TGs and I find it disgusting.

I can imagine this same discussion coming up with most of my relatives. I also remember this kind of talk coming up when Bruce Jenner came out as Caitlyn.

These ignorant people make it difficult to come out and be who we are. Some day I'll get so fed up that I'll strip down and show everyone my undergarments!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

As with any topic, there is a "mob mentality". If one person states an opinion, others often chime in whether or not they really feel that way or not. And, not everyone will agree on every topic.

I love your wife's response, Maria.

EDIT:

Friends don't always agree on every topic. Most of the time, friends do find a way to remain friends by avoiding conflict.
    Last edited by char GG; 08-25-2021 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added comment

My comment to this subject are:

As a person that feels like a transgender person I do not think it is fair for male bodies to compete with women. We all know that our past hormones made us bigger and stronger. I feel that women that work super hard to get to the top of their profession sport deserve a fair fight.

I suspect that it is mob mentality and if some of them knew that you were one of those "disgusting people' their opinion would change. It is easy to rally against "them", but much harder when you know one of "them" personally and realize that they are more like you than you thought.
    I think that your wife (bless her for speaking up) and you handled the situation very well. It may be a small dent in a very large truck, but it's a start. Perhaps one of them thought seriously about what you said and perhaps did a little research (outside of Facebook posts), and became a little better informed.
    I've been in a similar situation, and could not bring myself to speak for fear of getting too emotional.

Aspiring Member
    I am of the opinion that a person who is born a man should not be allowed to compete in women's sports, BUT.....
    If we follow this view through to it's conclusion, then we would also have to say that a woman should not be allowed to compete in the men's business world.
    Keep 'em barefoot and pregnant.

Please correct me if I?m wrong.
    The male playing on the female soccer team was a trans man he was born in a female body.
    There was a New Zealand weightlifter who was born male but competed as a female at the olympics

A member of my transgender group is transitioning and is now playing tennis in a adult woman’s league. She says she has been accepted.

As an aside, pre-pandemic I was at a bar following one of our team matches. Two guys mentioned about the circumstance; they didn’t approve either. I don’t remember what I said, but I definitely didn't mention I had talked to her the night before.

As to participation in sports,
    1) there are so few transgender athletes like that the issue is completely meaningless--it just doesn't occur often enough for all the outrage.
    2) Sports should all be about participating, not wins and losses. Playing a sport can give a TG child a chance to meet others, make friends, have fun, and feel good about themselves. I coach high school tennis, and work with our JV players, boys and girls (currently girls). I have a couple of girls now that are extremely raw, not very athletic, and it's extremely unlikely they will ever play varsity tennis for our school. But I spend the time and effort because they are great kids, and participating is great for them.

The odds that ANY player becomes good enough to worry about wins and losses is extremely small, much less a TG athlete. The benefits of just letting them play FAR exceeds any cost because they might be too good for the others.
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/

Thanks Dee
    That was well said
    I couldn?t agree more

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    Unfortunately, it is not about Participation Awards. It is about college/university Scholarships, Championships, or other competitions. That is more the basis for whether, or how much transition (hormones, surgeries, etc.) has taken place, to be acceptable by the general masses for one to compete in competitions with those other than their birth gender.

I offer no solutions and have mixed feelings on the topic.

Perhaps proving whether one is fully, or just partially transitioned, will ultimately determine whether an acceptable level of eligibility has been met to compete in a particular category. Frankly, I doubt that the general public will ever reach full acceptance for someone just partially transitioned from competing with those of their opposite birth gender.

Banned Read only
    On the controversy regarding trans athletes, it seems to me that some people enjoy grasping onto vague anecdotes that seem compelling on the surface but are full of nuance, in order to substantiate their prejudices. I offer two other examples of this practice:

1. Remember the woman who sued McDonald's because her coffee was too hot? Outrageous, right? Well, what most of us weren't told was that the water was served at 135 degrees and the woman had first and second degree burns on her legs when the coffee spilled in her car and that McDonald's had already received myriad complaints about scalding hot coffee.

2. Every time a police officer is caught on video beating up a suspect, people chime in and say, that criminal had it coming! Well, sure the criminal is a criminal but a cop is there to arrest people, not beat them to a pulp.

So, the next time someone complains about a transwoman athlete, remind them that said athlete is taking a cocktail of hormones that essentially shaves away any and all advantages that a genetic man might have over a woman of the same height and weight. Science is a stubborn thing.

The whole topic of how people regard crossdressers or transgender is way to broad for me to scratch the surface. Like J.D. Salinger once said, I don't have the answers, I only have questions.

I would put forth this question on transgender in athletics. What if all athletics merged the genders -- football, field hockey, basketball, volleyball, track and field, baseball, softball, soccer, etc. There would be no question of trans gender participation, as both genders participate together. How would that work out?

Platinum Member
    Hi Maria , YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID !!

>>>>>>>>Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Natalie5004 I feel the same way. Because I feel a certain gender dose not change the facts of my physical being. And it isn't fair or the same. And all the analogies that pertain to equality in no physical issues are as a whole invalid, and Transgender defines the issue no matter m/f or f/m you can't change facts due to "want to."
    Last edited by franlee; 08-23-2021 at 04:18 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

While there is plenty of room to debate how to incorporate transgender athletes into traditional competition, there is no debate that treating and even talking about transgender people in a mean spirited or derogatory way is just wrong.

Maria 60,

I think you've been exposed to an unfortunate truth. It seems (to ME!) that the LGBT* public acceptance you see or hear about so much these days is just a mask that many people wear because it is "socially proper" or "politically correct" and not because it's what they truly feel. Put together a bunch of these "nice" folks , add alcohol, and the masks start to come off. Let just one of them make a "non-PC" comment and see what happens. True feelings start being revealed, and it's usually not pretty.

I'm afraid we still have a LONG way to go.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    So, the next time someone complains about a transwoman athlete, remind them that said athlete is taking a cocktail of hormones that essentially shaves away any and all advantages that a genetic man might have over a woman of the same height and weight. Science is a stubborn thing.
    Muscle memory is a thing. You CANNOT ignore science. Yes, you would lose muscle, but you RETAIN more muscle in you transition post puberty. Somebody who has been practicing a sport since their early years and then transitions in their 20's for instance WILL have an advantage.

I tend to agree with Sara that there is a lot of phony support going around. I have observed the switcheroo in people.

I was in my usual grocery store and noticed an unusually tall woman with a very masculine face that had obviously been exposed to a bit too much sunshine. Obviously a male in women's clothes and therefore a sister of some type. I thought, " Go for it, girl." People looked and smiled and were polite which obviously made the trans person feel welcome and I thought was really great. She zoomed on down an isle to do her shopping and once well out of sight people shook their heads and grimaced and made comments and a few laughed. Two male store employees had a great time and created a little bit of a spectacle that made others laugh. I leaned in toward them and said, "A little tolerance of HER might be in order. I suspect your employer might not appreciate your acting this way."

Their jaws dropped and others nearby also reacted with surprise. I smiled at them and headed down the isle. A fine example of how people can be polite and then reveal their true self when the coast is clear. Disgusting. I used to be like them in order to hide my true self that I was battling and trying to get rid of. Then I accepted myself and all that negative thinking about the LGBTQ people vanished because I realized I was one of them (a "T"). This world is still so locked into a concept that males are men and females are women and there is a vast vacuum between them. Not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie5004 View Post
    My comment to this subject are:

As a person that feels like a transgender person I do not think it is fair for male bodies to compete with women. We all know that our past hormones made us bigger and stronger. I feel that women that work super hard to get to the top of their profession sport deserve a fair fight.
    Sigh...
    Bodies that have been on HRT for any length of time, and most definitely bodies that have never gone through male puberty, are not "male bodies". I have several FtM acquaintances, and I can tell you that they most definitely have "male bodies". Surely you would not suggest that they should compete in "women's" division athletics.

Look, I was never a scratch golfer, but on the rare occasion that I connected with my driver, my tee shots would be out there with them. It is strength that generates the club speed required for that kind of distance. I can't make two thirds of that distance now. HRT changes many things, and among those things is muscle mass. I could never compete with men now, not even those with handicaps as high as mine was years ago.

If you want to be "fair", you have to recognize that not everyone is the same and that a blanket "no genetic males in women's sports" rule does not make sense.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Quote Originally Posted by Geena75 View Post
    The whole topic of how people regard crossdressers or transgender is way to broad for me to scratch the surface. Like J.D. Salinger once said, I don't have the answers, I only have questions.

I would put forth this question on transgender in athletics. What if all athletics merged the genders -- football, field hockey, basketball, volleyball, track and field, baseball, softball, soccer, etc. There would be no question of trans gender participation, as both genders participate together. How would that work out?

Men would win everything.

For example, the Top LPGA golfer in driving distance is # 155ish on the PGA, 30 + yards lower , hundreds down on the tennis tour.

It is instructive that the Great Battle of the Sexes in 73 was between a 29 year old top ranked female and a 55 year old retired pack a day male.

It is not a knock on women just a truth of the human condition as other posters have noted, larger skeletal frame, a larger lung capacity , more muscle mass , higher upper and lower body strength etc. all these add up.

In golf, if men were allowed to play in the LPGA - ladies would probably never win again. A 150 yard chart is usually tougher than a 40 yard chip.

On average female athletic records are 90 % of men's. To my knowledge, there is no athletic record where women outperform men.

Our Adult Women's World Champion Hockey team plays 15 year old boys for tournament prep but there is no hitting allowed, despite this , the boys often win and would win every game if normal hockey rules were in effect.

But were the same boys to take on the Tampa Bay Lightning in normal rules, they might not get a shot on net in 60 minutes.

Studies of public park activity show males are apt to play competitive sports at a much higher rate than women.
    Last edited by kellyanne; 08-23-2021 at 11:48 AM.