Thread: Worth all the effort - in the end

Worth all the effort - in the end

So, I've not been out all summer and I'm back in Vienna after several months in Paris and then over to the United Kingdom (ten stupid days of quarantine and ?600 in PCR tests to manage one visit to see my Dad in the care home). But new shoes, jacket, dress and handbag need to be worn So I bought a load of makeup, an an expense I could have done without ? because I'd left what I normally use in France, did all the shaving ? bit of a bloodbath ? and got up early on Saturday morning. Turned out the false eyelash glue I'd bought was some water based black stuff and I couldn't get it to work. Fortunately, I had another with glue pre-loaded. And I finally I made it to the Stra?enbahn into town (much more comfortable than the local Bezirk). I'd not been able to find a grip for my wig, so when I passed a BIPA (kind of like Boots for those in the UK), I went in to get some and a bit more makeup. I passed a middle aged lady in the aisle and she looked me up and down, harrumphed to herself and carried on. I somehow wish I'd managed a smile, but she threw me off my guard. Undaunted, I wandered around for another couple of hours, took a load of pictures and walked home. But I can't say I'm happy with them. Although the dress feels lovely and sexy on, it looks kind of frumpy and the wedges do nothing for my legs. And that wasn't even trying to blend! And somehow, I just look like a bloke! See what you think:

y1.jpg

A second beautiful morning dawned. Nothing for it but to do it again! The glue from BIPA worked fine and the overall result pleased my a lot more ? practice makes perfect. With a different dress, the same jacket and some proper heels I've had ages, the transformation was made. No disgusted looks this time. Only a car cruising past slowly to get a better look. I don't feel particularly sexy in this dress. But the photos seem to disagree. Oh, and as I'm constantly being told by the ladies here, I tried to smile a bit. Even though it feels a bit silly when I'm alone. Thinking of the lady from BIPA seemed to help though.

y2.jpg
    y3.jpg
    y4.jpg
    y5.jpg
    Last edited by Di; 09-05-2021 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Political

Hi Minirock,

It?s good to see you are out and about again. It does feel good to get dressed up after a long dry spell. Things have been slow for me as well the last few months, and I hope to get to go out again soon.

I still kind of like that reporting from a bar live that you did some time ago. That must have been fun.

Sandi

Glad you are out and dressed. I think you need a small tripod to get some height also if your camera have the HDR function use it for the outdoor shot. It should give you better exposure/ pictures.

Thanks for the advice Xam. It will need to be a small tripod to fit in a handbag. But I guess it would be more flexible; there aren't too many places where you can stand a mobile phone up on its edge.

I'm sorry you aren't happy with the pictures. I think the dress a jacket combo looks lovely. I kind of agree with your on the shoes. I can't put my finger on it but the shoes just aren't working. 90% lovely lady doesn't seem a bad place to be.
    I'm content being a once in a while girl.

Great pics and I'm happy to hear it was all worth it in the end MiniRock. I share your concern about finding places and ways to hold a cell phone. Here's a link to something that might work for you.
    https://www.weathertech.ca/en/weathe...ective%20cases.

Karen

That looks like a good solution to the phone problem, thanks Karen. Although, if I'm honest, I tend to try to sneak pictures when I think nobody is looking. Wouldn't setting up a tripod and then taking pictures of myself be seen by others as rather narcissistic? For example,a jogger passed me in the park as I was taking these shots and I felt a bit silly. When she passed me again a few minutes later, still doing the same thing, I felt even sillier!

Oh and thanks for the compliment Brynna.

Minirock: Maybe that Jogger just wanted to get a second look ....Or possibly envious of your looks.
    SuziH

If you think that is silly then why you take picture in first place. At least for the last 2 pictures the scenery look like some tourist attraction places, I wouldn't mind take some pictures even take 10 minutes to get a good one.

I take pictures because I like to Xam. But I still feel a bit shy about it. I'd be shy about it doing it as a man as well.

My phone has a case with magnets in it. They can hold the phone not only in its wallet, but also in almost any metallic surface like the door of a car, a sign or its post, a railing, a trash can, an exposed tube, a kiosk, etc.

When I can't find a place to adhere it, I use a small tripod with flexible legs screwed to the phone holder I took from a selfie stick. The holder with the tripod together are tiny enough to be carried in my purse.

At first, I used some gestures to activate the shooting timer, but that was too obvious to be noted by someone else if I want to blend, so I started to use a small bluetooth shooter device. It's faster (no timer needed) and more discrete, but I cannot walk too far from the phone, as it disconnects when I'm about 12m (35 feet) away.

I hope this helps...

Some good ideas there Tam. I certainly don't want to be waving at my phone in public! Although I guess putting on a frock and going out in public is indeed a form of exhibitionism. Does the Bluetooth device just connect and work with the normal camera app? Or maybe I should find somebody to hold the camera.

This is my current kit:

phonekit.jpg

The whole stand is 24cm long (9.5") but I can unscrew its parts and put the legs inside the holder if I have to save space. The holder is double sided, which it allows both landscape and portrait modes of the phone. The rubber balls and the flexible legs allow me to place the phone over any surface, no need to be flat and level. The legs can also be used as fingers, which allow me to hang the phone or to hold it even on a wooden fence. This is very versatile and great for open spaces, specially when there is no place to use the magnets of the phone's case.

The bluetooth shooter device, when in sync with my phone and without any configuration, works like pressing the virtual shoot button of the camera app. A long press starts a multi-shoot sequence until I release it. If I want to record a video, I have to set the video mode manually in the phone, then use the device to start and to stop the recording. It works with both front (selfie) and rear (hi res) cameras.