Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Documentary film

Documentary film

There is a new documentary film just released at the Vail Film Festival that will touch many of you who visit this section of the forum…”Our dad, Danielle.” It is the true story of a person transitioning after a successful career as an attorney, and doing it in Texas. Other women, some you may know, appear in the film with parts of their story.

Although this post could be in the media section, the messages from the film seem particularly poignant for those here.

Aspiring Member
    Thank you for the link. Certainly recognized at least one more person

When and how we could watch the full movie?

Thank you Laura for posting this.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 03-19-2023 at 12:53 PM.

"Nobody wants to begin life when they're 70 years old" hit close to home.

This thread will stay in this section. The film mentioned is about transition and what it costs some women. I watched it last night. After the film is an interview with Sarah King, the Director, and Leah Judge, the Producer. These are amazing women are on a mission to change the world and humanize trans women.

I am honored to know the women presented in this film. I can?t even comprehend how Anandrea Molina, the trans woman from Mexico, opened and operated a shelter for Latina trans women while she was still undocumented herself.

Sasha is a doll. My heart breaks though when I think that she can never go home again, probably never see her mother again. Her future has a lot of potential but is a reflection of the love and generosity of the amazing trans women who have come into her life.

And, of course, Danielle, one of the top attorneys in the country, who?s career ?cratered? as a result of her transition. Much of her time is now devoted to pro bono work, advocacy and activism for transgender people. She has helped me.

Everyone who visits this section needs to see this film. At the end is an opportunity to rate the film.

https://watch.eventive.org/vailfilmf...616f0054e20da0
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 09-24-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Hi Jeri Ann,

Thank you for the link to watch. Truly enjoyed watching the movie. I love watching stories shared by trans people. Thank you for sharing yours too. I feel like I know you for so long so seeing you in the movie seemed totally ordinary but cool at the same time ��

Will watch Q&A movie part tomorrow.

Hugs,
    Katya.
    Last edited by Katya@; 09-26-2021 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Typo

It was a privilege to be a (very) small part of this important film, working with filmmakers who so clearly understood the many issues faced by transgender people and who went to extraordinary lengths to document and present those issues. While it will certainly communicate to a wide audience what a struggle TG people face as they transition, I can't help but feel that it also has a message for the TG community itself. None of the stories examined are "sunshine and rainbows". Not even close. They are stories of survival. They are painful to watch, at times, as we come to understand the sacrifices made to achieve that survival. At the same time, some of the stories are stirring, to say the list, as examples of selflessness and even bravery.
    No matter what you think you know about the transgender experience, do yourself a favor and see this film.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

The window for viewing the documentary is now closed. I am pleased to announce that it won the viewers award for the Vail Film Festival. I think that it will be available for viewing again in the near future through another virtual film festival. Again, this film is about the transitions of four women in completely different situations.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post
    I am pleased to announce that it won the viewers award for the Vail Film Festival
    This is such a wonderful news! After seeing the Q&A section and realizing how much effort went into it, all I can say is that it is a well deserved award. Looking forward for the movie to be widely available in the near future.

Aspiring Member
    Jeri Ann, looks like the link to view it has expired. Any other way to watch it on a pay per view basis?

Nikki,
    As Jeri Ann has shared, the film is not yet in general release, so no PPV, YouTube, etc., but we're told that it should be available again soon in conjunction with another film festival.

Aspiring Member
    thanks- i didn’t refresh my browser window before i commented

The future plans for the film are pending. At least two other film festivals, as well as Netflix, are possibilities. There will possibly be another project in the future as well.

It looks to be an amazing and heartbreaking movie, especially for us.
    I read.your message Jeri Ann but I'd been so busy with a new job plus my current always activities.

I'll be alert if someone, that has connections with the producers, can be checking when is going to be available again.

I think the best way to catch it again is to be checking in Google for the name...

At least I saw the trailer where Jery appears swimming....����

Update:

If you go to the website of the project, www.ourdaddanielle.com and subscribe, for sure they will alert you when available...
    Last edited by Devi SM; 09-28-2021 at 06:04 PM.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

"Our Dad, Danielle" is now streaming, through November 5, as an entry in the 2021 Portland Film Festival.

I believe the documentary is available for view through November the 8th.

Aspiring Member
    Do you have a link or know where? the links above did not yield the movie available to watch.

I just Googled Portlandfilm.org.
    Choose the Box Office menu
    In the search window type, Our Dad, Danielle
    Once a ticket is purchased you have until the 8th to watch it.
    Let me know if this doesn?t work.

Aspiring Member
    thanks, that worked!

"Our Dad, Danielle" has won the Portland Film Festival's "LGBTQIA Voices Award".

The director and producer did an excellent job telling DJ?s transition story. The film has had a positive impact on people who previously had disapproved of trans people, according to reports.

The film is available to view for three more days (until Nov. 8) at Portlandfilm.org. As of this writing the film has received two awards and will probably be selected for additional film festivals before being picked up by a network.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I guess at age 78 I'm quite different than Danielle? Her life "--began at 70".

While my trans life began in my 60's? I had a great life before I suddenly began secretly dressing in my 50's.

And, I'm having a ball in what I call, "My second life!"
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Doc you obviously only watched the trailer. It will be a long time before DJ is 70. Watch the film and you will understand DJ’s story. This film is about transitioning from a life as a male to life as a Female. The film briefly mentions the very different transition of three other trans women.

The film has already proved to be a change agent for the benefit of the trans community. People actually watching the film, and rating it well, increases the reach of the very important message that trans people are normal in their own right and worthy of human rights just like everyone else.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 11-05-2021 at 05:19 PM.

i think there should be more movies like this.. thanks for sharing!