Thread: In a thoughtful mood

In a thoughtful mood

I enjoyed reading two thoughtful threads this morning about the "Pink Fog" and "No Female Identity". This is not quite in response but was inspired by them.
    I hate to post this as we are so diverse in who and what we are and why we do the thing we do. I do not intent to offend anyone but let me know -

I write this for the girls who dress when they can and are fulfilled by their dressing. We do wonder about ourselves, don't we?

If you are transgender I can love you and support you and affirm your needs and desires and I admire your courage and wish you nothing but good and godspeed. I didn't write this for you as my journey is quite different.

I wonder how our perception of a woman's way in the world is formed by our individual experiences with the women in our lives, and how our little hobby* portrays those experiences and our reaction to them.

(*SO's term not meant dismissively- I choose to take it as loving and supportive and not meant to be offensive.)

What do we become when we shelve our masculinity for a moment or two? There's no such thing as 'every woman' - we become something very specific to ourselves. The mannerisms, the behavior, the target of our efforts to adorn ourselves in feminine fashion - how is it connected to our experiences with our mothers, aunts, grandmothers; our spouses, girlfriends, female co-workers and is it not unique unto ourselves for that reason?

I feel a certain relief when I'm dressing as if I've dropped a burden in exchange for the ability to fly. I realize that the very thing that engenders lightness in me might be a burden or at least a duty to a woman faced with dressing for one more day of work and responsibility. I can enjoy my experience knowing that when it's time I can take the nail polish off, wash my face and change clothes, sighing as I grab that heavy suitcase as I go.

That beautiful, feminine female person - does she resent my intrusion into her world? Would she understand if I tried to explain how my visit makes me feel? I'd confess that I know I'm just visiting, just playing at what is her reality.

Would she understand my utter fascination with everything that makes her - her?

Would she respect me more if I wanted with all my heart and mind to live where she lives, to go there with full commitment and permanence? Would she think I was crazy to desire her life?

Does she think I'm crazy to desire her life even for an afternoon or an evening at a time?
    Last edited by crobeson96; 10-19-2021 at 10:41 AM.

I very meaningful post and I think we all can relate to; I know I have the exact same thoughts....thank you for your insite ................Debra

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Putting on Army fatigues doesn't make u a service person any more than putting on women's clothes makes u a woman, Debra.

As u explained, it effects all of us in different ways.

As far is what women think of us dressed? Best way to find out is to ask them! I think you'll be quite surprised by their responses!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

hello docrobbysherry. i really enjoyed reading your tag on the bottom. it is truly inspirational. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post

As far is what women think of us dressed? Best way to find out is to ask them! I think you'll be quite surprised by their responses!
    Doc, you hit the ball out of the park. Just plain common sense. My wife and I talk periodically about my CDing and her lost interest in wearing dresses and more feminine attire. And it's something she has stated after asking me why I want to look like a woman. My answer is as honest as I can be, I enjoy the illusion in my mind and the freedom it provides me. And her response is, she don't understand why. I tell her the same reason she no longer dresses up unless she has to, it's a personal choice. So it can only be answered by asking the person you want to know from.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Platinum Member
    As for what that hypothetical woman thinks, I would suggest asking more than one. You will find, if my experience is any indication, that women can be very welcoming to those of us who would like to shed the male facade and live part or full time as women?unless the woman in question happens to be your SO, in which case the reaction will be much different, because the stakes are higher. Most women I have come out to have been incredibly supportive and gracious. My ex tried to be, but the burden grew to great.

To the earlier point, about shedding the burdens and feeling relief, I wonder if that is a bit of an idealized conception that those born male have of womens lives as if they are any less demanding and stressful. You are not alone. I think all born male are susceptible to that illusion.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 10-21-2021 at 06:22 AM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

This is an insightful post. I wish I understood all the reasons why I enjoy being enfemme. I truly do not understand it but I do understand that I do enjoy how I feel when enfemme attire.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Thank you very well writen.

My wife does not think I'm crazy, but she admits she doesn't understand the need. Nevertheless, she is supporting and that's all I can ask for.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Great post.

It made me think about why I dress also.

I think it is that I imagine myself to be included as one with my sisters. I have 5 sisters and I think they all are beautiful, sexy and really smart. Who would not want to be part of that group?

I have a likeness to one of the sisters and when I dress and do makeup well I can see where I would fit right in. She is the only person I told other than my wife. So, subconsciously or consciously I am asking if I can join the group.

Thanks again for the post and I really like the spaces between sentences. It helps me read the post easier.

Natalie, Sister #4 (in line)

What if, in a parallel universe, the woman you become is actually a FtM crossdresser and you and she (in reality the same person) can only swap roles for a specific period?

This could explain how, I am almost magnetically, drawn to crossdressing whereas at other times the desire is not that strong - perhaps she has the desire to dress and that draws me in...

Sorry if this seems off topic...it ran through my mind reading the first post

Quote Originally Posted by crobeson96 View Post
    What do we become when we shelve our masculinity for a moment or two? There's no such thing as 'every woman' - we become something very specific to ourselves. The mannerisms, the behavior, the target of our efforts to adorn ourselves in feminine fashion - how is it connected to our experiences with our mothers, aunts, grandmothers; our spouses, girlfriends, female co-workers and is it not unique unto ourselves for that reason?

I feel a certain relief when I'm dressing as if I've dropped a burden in exchange for the ability to fly. I realize that the very thing that engenders lightness in me might be a burden or at least a duty to a woman faced with dressing for one more day of work and responsibility. I can enjoy my experience knowing that when it's time I can take the nail polish off, wash my face and change clothes, sighing as I grab that heavy suitcase as I go.
    Camilla - We just need to remember, we are just temporarily visiting their world and respect what they have to go through everyday. If they too want to put away their nail polish, strip off the makeup, and dress down then we must support it. It is part of their escapism. I could never fully realize what it would be like to be a woman but I can have an understanding of the difficulties they go through every day, which I experience each time I dress up myself. Although I would love to be able to dress every day, I don't think I could fully understand their world. I admire women because of this!
    Last edited by Linda K.; 10-21-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crobeson96 View Post
    What do we become when we shelve our masculinity for a moment or two?
    I feel a certain relief when I'm dressing as if I've dropped a burden in exchange for the ability to fly. I can enjoy my experience knowing that when it's time I can take the nail polish off, wash my face and change clothes, sighing as I grab that heavy suitcase as I go.
    That beautiful, feminine female person - does she resent my intrusion into her world? Would she understand if I tried to explain how my visit makes me feel? I'd confess that I know I'm just visiting, just playing at what is her reality.
    I must confess that when I'm deep in the throes of the pink fog, these thoughts are not foremost on my mind. But if I step back, away from the fantasy and observing from the real world, this sums up my personal CD experience nicely. To experience just for a short time the beauty, and the power, of woman-ness, and then return, looking forward to the next time you can do the same. To experience life from both perspectives- so intoxicating!

We do wonder about ourselves, don't we?
    Nope. I figured it out a long time ago. It took me about 30 years, but I figured it out. No more wondering.
    I wonder how our perception of a woman's way in the world is formed by our individual experiences with the women in our lives, and how our little hobby* portrays those experiences and our reaction to them.
    It's not my hobby. If it was, it would be pretty easy to just get a different fun hobby.
    My perception of what GG's life is like, is through observation, not only of my friends and relatives, but pretty much every woman I observe, including what I learned in the media. But that's not what caused the gender identity dysphoria and the resulting crossdressing. I was abused as a kid; until I was 6, I was a normal boy. Then told that god made a mistake, that I was really supposed to be a girl, and having my male genitalia almost completely disappear whenever I was exposed to the cold, reinforced that belief. All I knew back then, was that boys had penis and testicles, and girls did not, and it appeared that very often, I did not, either. I was told that it was god getting me used to not having them, so when he fixed me, I'd be ready to be the girl I was supposed to be. Believing that through most of my early life, sort of cemented it into my mind, and even though I now know it was erroneous, I can't seem to get rid of the feeling that I'm supposed to dress and behave as a female does.

What do we become when we shelve our masculinity for a moment or two?
    I don't 'shelve my masculinity'.The masculine and interpreted feminine feelings I have remain constant, no matter how I'm dressed. I've simply learned how to 'act' like a normal man whenever I have to..... sort of. Sex can be problematic; having basically been someone's girlfriend for several years until I was 14, that role is also sort of embedded into my mind as the appropriate behavior during interpersonal interactions as well as sex. I can 'act' like a normal guy, but it requires mental gymnastics, as I have to think I'm doing something, while doing something else entirely. It frequently causes erectile dysfunction; not entirely, but often loss of erection during the sexual episode. That, of course, causes the woman I'm with to question what's wrong with her, or with me.

we become something very specific to ourselves. The mannerisms, the behavior, the target of our efforts to adorn ourselves in feminine fashion
    I sort of become the girl that I thought god was going to change me into; that girl, is stuck in adolescence. I sort of thought that I would become a girl around the age of puberty, when all the other girls were experiencing the changes that made them more 'womanly'. As I did't reach puberty until 17, all through high school, I just thought that god had forgotten about me, so I prayed and prayed even harder, to no avail, of course. Eventually I had to face that everything I had been told about everything was a lie. Problem was, apparently when you go through all those feelings during certain developmental years, some of those feelings become permanent.

I feel a certain relief when I'm dressing as if I've dropped a burden
    I believe that in many cases, this is just a result of our minds getting some relief from the gender identity dysphoria which occurs in the conscious or subconscious mind. When we wear female specific clothes, and behave in female specific ways, it reinforces the concept that we ARE female, at least for a while, we are able to 'fool' our minds into no longer feeling the discomfort from the incongruence between what we deep down feel we are, and what we really are. It's no surprise that this is a common feeling, as many of us were brought up to believe that being feminine in any way, or like a girl/woman in any way, was the most disgraceful thing a boy/man could be. So many 'bury' that thought, because their minds cannot accept it. We see this especially, in those who need to create a third person, a feminine persona, to attribute all their feminine feelings to, because they feel the need to distance their 'real' male self away from being or feeling anything feminine, due to the shameful feelings that might elicit.
    I didn't 'get it' until I tried to explain to my wife (at the time) what I was going through. Previously, I didn't understand that we don't actually fall in love with the person; we fall in love with what we KNOW OF that person; we create an image in our mind of who we believe them to be. Any discovery that severely changes that image in our mind, can easily cause a change in how we believe them to be, and the love felt, can also change or be lost, if the sexual attraction that went with that image, is now gone. My wife seeing me as a feminine person rather than the all masculine person she thought she married, destroyed her attraction to me; it was only a short way to lose the love for me as well, as she felt I had deceived her as to who I was. In all fairness, when we met, I hadn't crossdressed in 10 years, and thought that either I had 'beaten it' or just outgrown it, perhaps just a phase I was going through. It turned out that my mind had just repressed all those gender/crossdressing feelings, which remained repressed until the other stresses in my life became more than I could handle, and the crossdressing 'genie' escaped from the bottle.

Mind did not. She didn't really like what she saw as the limitations of her gender, and couldn't understand why any man would want to embrace and experience the feminine life and lifestyle. She didn't understand that it's not simply a wish for what she felt we might see it as if being female was considered an easier life, but more that it was an inner desire to feel and behave as what my mind believed I was supposed to be. I couldn't get across to her, that there was now this almost constant 'always in the back of my mind' feeling that I was in the wrong clothes, the wrong role, and perhaps even in the wrong type of body; and it was often interrupting the rest of my thoughts, sometimes all day long. Which made doing everything just a little harder, all the time, kind of like having a pebble in your shoe, which interrupts every other thought.

Would she respect me more if I wanted with all my heart and mind to live where she lives, to go there with full commitment and permanence? Would she think I was crazy to desire her life?
    I think that most women are sympathetic to men who are going through this, but they also desperately want a masculine man as their mate. Leaving that role, leaves a hole in their lives, and it can make them very, very sad. And feeling that we have abandoned that role in order to make ourselves feel better, can make them very angry at us, because they feel we owe them to be who we were when we got married, and always stay that way. They reserve the right to change, for themselves, but they cannot see that as unfair to US. Women are allowed to change; we, are not.
    Does she think I'm crazy to desire her life even for an afternoon or an evening at a time
    I think that women believe that men's lives have so many advantages over their own, that we are foolish to want to live theirs.
    All this is my opinion only, derived from my lifetime of experiences, and reading everything that I could get my hands on about gender, crossdressing, transsexualism, and speaking/writing to others who have an interest in our lives. Take it for what you will.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 10-23-2021 at 10:13 PM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insight. Very thought provoking, and now I must go think.