Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the image of your fem self in your mirror match the one in your mind?

Platinum Member
    I look very much as I expect to look . Perhaps a little better at a considerable distance from the camera, like deep in center field, like Marla Hooch in A League of Their Own
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I always think I can look better than I actually do when dressed. My make up skills demonstrate that I do better one day than the next. All I really do is try to look my best.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

sometimes i look in the mirror and think 'wow grrllll you look amazing' and sometimes 'you look like a donkey with make up on'...

Yes, more or less. When the makeup's right and light is flattering.

I took a long, long, long break from dressing up -- 30 years -- and part of what got me back into this was simply wondering what that cute girl I saw in the mirror all those years ago looked like now. Had she aged well, or had the years taken a horrible toll on her? I needed to know.

Have you ever run into an old friend you haven't seen in years? At first you're taken aback at how the years have changed them, but in a few moments all that melts away, then and now merge into a complete picture, and you're with your friend again. That's what I experienced when I looked into the mirror after the long break. She's still me, and I am still her, both of us starting to show our age but still hanging in there.

At times the reflection matches my inner woman. At times it doesn't.
    I'm sure that's true drab or fab for most.

Sure I'd love to be a little shorter, a little thinner, a lot younger and so on, but I've accepted myself. I know I'll never be that model in the magazine and that's fine, so long as I can be the me I know I am.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

@MarinaTwelve200 Honestly I like myself better in the mirror than in pictures. Pictures (as far as I am concerned) are a harsher judge than the mirror, and I like them for that very reason. Looking at a video I get a feeling closer to what I experienced in front of the mirror (which makes sense since both are "live"). Very seldom, a photo may give a better look than the mirror, because I catched a favorable and more forgiving angle. In some of these particular shots, I can see a more feminine creature. But it so resembles me that calling it a woman is still a long shot away.
    Agree that videos are more natural, without question. And they give justice to the wig, the hair movement and flow that I find very nice is totally lost in pictures.

When i have been all done up wig to heels , i like teh image of the very tall senior long legged lady in the mirror. The kid of lady i wished i had in my life , but never had the chance to meet and date.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 10-23-2021 at 07:06 PM.

No. My mind has created an image that would be impossible for me to attain with out a lot of surgery. Sigh.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    It does not matter if I am dressed in male mode or female mode the reflection in the mirror is way off reality. I figured that out when I looked at the images of pictures of myself in male mode. The images are definitely different than what I see in the mirror. I learned a long time ago to avoid mirrors when I am en femme. There are three mirrors in our home; two above bathroom sinks and one full length mirror in one bathroom. I am an in-home dresser so I forego makeup when at home. There is no necessity for it since I avoid mirrors. Nobody is going to see me, so why bother with makeup. At 74 I look like a grandpa or a grandma. I have no illusions about that fact. Frankly, I am more concerned with the neck down than the neck up.
    Thanks for your honest response, Steph. But, I refuse to force Sherry to live in my 78 year old, "real world"!
    Like u, using prosthesis and pads, I can present a young woman's figure. But, unlike u I refuse to look at an old man's face on that sexy body!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteCD View Post
    Now that my makeup skills have become consistent, I recognise Charlotte in the same way I recognise my male presented self.

I used to think "Wow, is that really me?", and now it's just "it's good to see you again Charlotte"

Do I look like how I want to? Of course not. I'd look like Rachel Brosnahan if I did. I don't have stupid fantasies of looking like a GG any more. I just play the cards I've been dealt.
    Well, the whole point of my post was to see who's in touch with their fantasy female, Charlotte. If I wanted to see Rachel Brosnahan, (whoever she is) in my mirror? I WOULD!

Quote Originally Posted by DianeT View Post
    One thing I know for sure is that even in full nines I am incapable of telling whether the creature in the mirror or the picture looks more like a female or a male. I could tell for every other dresser, but not for me. I recognize myself too much, and know I'm male. So the mirrors and pictures scream "male, with female cues". This said, I am not aiming at looking like any particular woman, I just want to see a feminine version of me, so whatever result I get is interesting, and therefore satisfying to some degree.
    One of the first things I had to do when I began dressed 25 years ago was remove ANY and EVERY vestige of the male me from my mirror. Because it turned, (turns), me off!
    After all these years it's become automatic to present a completely female figure. No matter what outfit I'm wearing! The cherry on top is when I turn the old man's face on that figure into that of a 20's/30's woman!

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I look very much as I expect to look . Perhaps a little better at a considerable distance from the camera, like deep in center field, like Marla Hooch in A League of Their Own
    Well, I had hoped to discuss our fantasy women. And, leave reality, passing, what we expect to see, etc. behind, Kim. But, I realize many here r stuck in their private real worlds. And, especially with Halloween coming up? That makes me very sad!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Doc,
    I was just thinking about when I first joined a couple of years ago, and I recall being puzzled by your comments regarding the wearing of masks. So you kind of fooled me for a while until I figured out what you were talking about, since I had never seen such masks before.

As one who ventures out into similar venues as you, I totally understand the thrill of feeling like you are one of the younger crowd. That is only possible with acceptance, and we have certainly had some fun outings - of course I am not a world traveler like you, but I do get around.

I will be on the road for Halloween myself so I am trying to figure out what to wear now, woo hoo. I hope you have a great Halloween outing too.

Sandi

Sort of. My male mode definitely does not, though. I genuinely appear to have brown hair when I look in the mirror but any photo of me or CCTV camera disagrees.

Once upon a time... Veronica Lacey's Avatar
    My physical mirror image while dressed en femme is certainly not congruent with what I imagine that part of my inner female self to be.

This goes hand-in-hand with how I actually feel while wearing the clothing. I wear forms and heels when dressing to enjoy a closer-to-true female form and experience but because I don't expect to look like a woman there is no disappointment. However, the clothing's fabrics, colours and fit do mirror how I feel inside. That really is the mirror I observe in my mind.

I'm not even close! However, I am working on it!

Not as much as I?d like , but still love seeing what looking back

Just another 'Gurl'
    Nope, the woman in my mind does not match the one in the mirror. However, I am okay with that these days.
    Just another man in a dress

Many, many years ago when I was in New York City, I had a lady friend who one day made me up to look like a woman. She did this while I was sleeping, taking a nap on her couch. She, with her sisters help, did a full face makeover then fit me with a wig. I woke and as usual needed to attend to some business in the facility. I walked in did what needed doing and then as I was washing my hands looked into the mirror. WOW Where did that lady come from. Yes, I knew it was me but suffering cat whiskers she was one hot chick. She wasn't just hot she had that quality that said class. Even though the shirt was male, from the neck up was all female. They had a plan to have me attend a lingerie party one of the other sisters was going to have. If I had gone to that party someone most certainly would have gotten my attention and I'd have been outed in a NY Second. You can guess how if you were to see the lingerie they were modeling.

Now when I dress to the nines or even dress down I look for that woman. The closest I've come to her was during the time when I had my own long hair and could dress in a style that was common for the ladies of my youth, suits, knee and ankle length skirts, heels, solid colour blouse, etc.. Today that lady is long gone and I know it. She will never again visit the home of Sarah Lynn. But she will remain in my mind and Sarah Lynn will have the pleasure of searching for her in the carousel of time.
    Last edited by SarahLynn; 10-31-2021 at 10:42 PM.
    Great leaders are not great because of their words or deeds but because of the greatness they inspire from others."
    (Legends of the StarDancer)

When my wife does my make up, yes, when I do it, not so much!

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Great thread. Not sure I have a female image in my mind as such. I see myself in the mirror and relate to the image as me. In photos I see the two sides. A few I think I look feminine, others I see my male side. The beauty of that is I can delete those I don't like. Much as my wife does and though our thought process is no doubt slightly different in choosing which, I suspect it is broadly similar.