Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frilly Bridesmaids Dress at a Garage Sale Close by. What would you do

Frilly Bridesmaids Dress at a Garage Sale Close by. What would you do

I saw a very pretty light purple Bridesmaids dress at a garage sale as I was driving home. I stopped and got a closer look without being to obvious and it looks like it would be large enough for me and includes a matching frilly hat. The sale is being done by what appear to be a large Lesbain couple. I have always had a fantasy about wearing a Bridesmaids outfit but have never had the opportunity.
    Has anyone here worn a Brides maids dress and is it as feminie and fun as it looks ?
    Do you think the gal who wore it might be upset if they suspected a guy was buying it for himself ?
    Has anyone had experience with Lesbians to know how they tend to view Crossdressers ?

Do you think telling them it is for a Halloween Party would work or would they see right through it ? LOL

Trying to get the courage to go back and buy it

Any Experience with buying dresses at garage sales ?

I've never worn one, but some are quite beautiful. It looks like its a fantasy for you that you can live out easily. If its inexpensive, I say you owe it to yourself, go for it! Doesn't matter what anyone says. No excuses needed!
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

I have no compunction about going to a yard sale and asking if anything for sale would fit me.
    I'm a man. I like being a man. I also love wearing women's clothing. It's my way to show honor, respect and solidarity with them.

not new anymore just shy VickieBonne's Avatar
    I agree with Kris. I'd add, "who cares?" because you don't seem to know each other; They'd likely be happy to sell it; they're probably accepting of varying lifestyles; and Halloween is a perfectly acceptable excuse. But I'd challenge you to just buy it. If they ask and it makes you more comfortable use the excuse. Good luck and happy Halloween!

Unless you plan on asking to try it on why offer any reason to buy it? Just go look at it and if you want it buy it. I have bought a few fem items at a yard sale while presenting male with no issues. Have not bought a dress yet but have looked at a couple also never an issue.

Well I would like to just see what the tag says in terms of size and quickly hold up the dress against me ! LOL Try the dress on! Very funny

I've bought many evening gowns myself, sometimes at a thrift store, sometimes at a brick and mortar store and sometimes online. I've had pretty good luck on the fit. If I'm buying it on eBay, I'll often ask the seller for measurements to gauge the fit.

The evening gowns that I bought initially were a fantasy purchase. But, they are way more feminine and fun than I expected. So, I bought some more and keep looking for ones that are priced low enough.

I've also done the same thing with evening gowns on eBay. I'm a bottom feeder. There's a look that I want and a maximum price that I will pay. I really need a gurl friend because a lot of help is required to get in and out of them, with the zipper all the decorative buttons. They are big and puffy, and are really hard to hide. I'm always afraid that I'll get caught in one and not be able to get out before my DADT wife comes home.

I have bought some vintage earrings at a garage sale or a flea market, and I bought a real mink stole for $25.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Take a deep breath and go for it. If you don't know them it makes no difference. I figure they are just getting rid of things they no longer want. And as far as what lesbians to crossdresser thoughts are... Well we are all who we are! I don"t think that there will be any negativity!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I NEVER try things on before I buy them. I carry a small measuring tape and measure the waist and chest. If those will fit me? The rest of the outfit will, too!

You do realize that wedding dresses tend to have a certain look but bridesmaid's outfits don't? They r usually a colored themed prom or garden style outfit? So, I'm sure many of us have bought and worn, used bridemaid dresses without a clue that's what they once were!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    I played for a Lesbian couples wedding a couple years ago ( I didn't dress because pictures were being posted on FB) But they know I dress and have no problem with it and are friends. Most of their family knows too and one of them is also a CD. I sy go back and buy it, yu never know you might make some new friends.

Like the other post, measure bust and waist to see if it will fit. If you want to stay under cover take a picture and pretend to send it to somebody. Tell them a daughter or a niece needs a formal dress and has little money and is not picky.

I never try on but do carry a small tape measure while shopping.

Robbie,

I've bought lots of Womens clothes at garage sales. I have held them up to me, tried a blouse or skirt over my guy clothes, and even been allowed to use a room to try things on.
    It's all in how comfortable you are with yourself and asking.

With Covid closing down dressing rooms in thrift stores, I have tried on things over my clothes in both male and feminine mode.

At one garage sale the two ladies giving the sale invited me to come back later and try on anything I was interested in. I was able to wear my undergarments and breast forms when I was trying things on. I was in bra and panties and my wig going through the racks while they were there and once in a while they would bring me something to try on. It was a fun experience that wouldn't have happened if I didn't ask to try things on.

I forgot to mention I have bought a prom dress and even this complete outfit at a garage sale.

Suzi Q
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all ! Well just got back and unfortuntely the dress was abit smaller than i had thought. But the ladies were nice and funny ! I saw that one was helping a customer so I looked for a tag and there was not one. I then held the dress against me and saw the other lady was watching me. She of course cam over and said she thought I would look darling in it and did I want to try it on. I could tell it would not fit so told her it was for Halloween but was too small. She was dissapointed and offered again to help zip me into it for a try. So yes it was her dress and she said she would happily have enjoyed seeing me in it. Thanks for the encouragment all

Good for going back and checking it out. Sounds like you were very much welcome there and of course a sale is a sale. I am sure they had a chuckle over it but that is ok.
    While I was reading the OP I was thinking I would definitely be interested in it also. You are now more likely to be looking more.
    Crissy

Silver Member
    I would buy just about anything from a garage sale that I wanted especially, if they didn't know me. A while back I looked at a dress a neighbor had at her garage sale. She asked if I wanted to try it on. I said I didn't think it would fit me. She responded telling me it was a size 10 but she was a 12 and it fit her. She invited me go inside and try it on. as we walked into her home she picked out another dress she suggested I should check out and brought along for me to try on. I ended up buying both dresses and 4 slips. As for mother of the bride dresses I've had a few, but never had much use for them and sold or gave them away.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 10-24-2021 at 10:05 PM.

We have had tons of garage sales over the years and I can guarantee that they would have been thrilled just to sell it to anyone. No matter who or for what purpose. I have worn a gown like that before but nothing beats wearing a wedding dress?. No one wants to always be the bridesmaid and never the bride!

I, too, always carry a small measuring tape with me, and suggest you make sure you know your measurements before you need to know them.
    You won't look very stealthy standing next to the women's rack measuring your chest.

I would add to the suggestions that you know your shoulder length (across the top of your shoulders), upper arm circumference and arm length measurements as well. And, if you have large wrists, you should know that measurement too.

Good luck.

Platinum Member
    My local Goodwill store has racks of bridal and bridesmaids and prom dresses in the Halloween section. I wonder who those dresses are for? My former boss and her husband are about the same size and height. She dolled him up in one of her high school prom dresses, wig and makeup. All the other women in the office wanted to see pictures. I think women are a lot more laid back about guys getting dolled up for Halloween. I do concur that one should always carry a cloth measuring tape when buying clothes. Dressing rooms are still closed due to Covid out here.

For future reference, I have found lesbians [of all ages] to be very open to the likes of us and have had a lot of positive interactions. It must also be said I can only measure that by those who chose to engage with me but it has been a good number.

Silver Member
    Tell them you are buying it to resell on eBay or something if you are nervous. People who do that buy things at garage sales all the time.

I would bring a tape measure to figure if it will fit you, don't go by the size, or ask them if it will fit you (their big bodies are shaped very differently than a big man's body including skeletal structure and torso length.) If they ask why you are measuring it, just tell them "The bigger the size, the bigger the profit!" (which is absolutely true when it comes to dressy women's clothing.)

It's really difficult to purchase a wedding gown that way.
    Most are not "sized", they are tailored to the bride so that even if it's your size it most likely won't fit properly and will need adjustment.
    Bridesmaid dresses I'd pass on as I have a number of lovely dresses already.

Now if they had a maid's uniform ...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Aspiring Member
    Buy it. Its Halloween

It is Halloween, so you have cart blanche. I have never worn a bride's maid dress nor a wedding dress sadly, but i did get a lovely teal mother of the bride's dress a long time ago. Size 14, unfortunately not a 14 any more. I would love to wear it again. I am now a 16.

Platinum Member
    Always like posts like this..... they are selling you want to buy just do it, if they know they know with everything going on noone cares just buy it ask for shoes .... to go with the dress

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    I NEVER try things on before I buy them. I carry a small measuring tape and measure the waist and chest. If those will fit me? The rest of the outfit will, too!
    Precisely! A small retractable tape measure drops easily into the pocket. I've used it in stores everywhere. Women's clothing sizes are so arbitrary and haphazard that you can't trust the labels. I've worn everything from an 8 to a 16. Short of actually trying clothes on, there's no substitute for measurement!

Robbiegirl, sorry about the dress being too small. But at least you'll know what to do the next time such an opportunity arises!