Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage unit for hiding CDing wardrobe

Storage unit for hiding CDing wardrobe

Hi all, just wanted to ask if anyone is using or has used a storage unit to hide their CD wardrobe. With the holiday season approaching and knowing how kids like to go snooping around the house looking to see what gifts they may be getting I will probably have to purge soon or find outside storage. I only have a few items but, storage would allow me to purchase and keep a much larger collection
    Last edited by RebeccaS; 11-21-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Mine is paid with credit card. I am not sure if the office would take cash or not. They almost never mail anything; however, if you forget to pay the bill you could get a notice. Also if you get a rate increase that may come in the mail.

It may be better to have a storage unit that everyone knows you have, but only put stuff over there no one has any interest to go get, Tools and things rarely needed. We keep our Christmas decorations in storage so that time of year is not good for me to stash there.

I know what you mean about kids. When I was young, my older brother took me around the house and showed me every Christmas present. Some were in closets, one was in the basement.

Sandi

People always need their space. One easy solution is to get a regular foot locker with a sturdy lock and slide it to the back of your closet. Whether it's clothes, old Playboys, childhood toys or even fishing gear it's nobody else's business.

Aspiring Member
    Yes, I have a storage unit. They communicate by email. They give a 15% discount if I pay by the year. They accept cash or card. My bill is about 600 dollars per year. I usually pay ahead of their billing cycle but even when I missed, they sent the bill and rent notices by email. I pay with a credit card that communicates only on line. I have to log in to their website to see any communication pertaining to the account. This works well for me so far. Going back more than twenty years, neither the storage company nor the credit card has ever sent anything in the mail or by phone. Even so, I have a PO Box with a street address. That is also useful for mail order deliveries.

Your mileage may vary but I have had no problems.

I arranged the items in the storage unit so I can shut the door and still have room to dress when inside. I even found a way to hang the lock so it looks the same whether I am inside or not. The storage facility has heat and cooling, though the heat is set for ten degrees C and the cooling is set for 27 degrees C. Not the best temperatures but it works. My unit is near a large window and an interior security light, so I have light 24/7 to see what I am doing.

You are right about kids. My daughter knows now because she snooped around and found things. I thought they were well hidden but she found them.

I have a storage unit, not for CDing, but actual storage. My wife has so much stuff that it will not fit in our house. Everything is done through email and I pay monthly on a CC.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Everything is done through email and I pay monthly on a CC.
    Will storage unit companies allow you to use a gift card to pay? Conceivably that would allow for even less tracking ability, you would not need a separate account,and could have a unit that could not be traced back to you in any way, other than the e-mail bills you would receive.

Rebecca, another solution is to use prepaid debit cards but you will need to keep money locked up. If you can put aside a small pile you can keep ahead of it. I managed to get a credit card with only my first initial so I can use it as Jamie but I have to be careful.

Reality Check
    If you don't have to hide having a storage unit from your wife and don't mind the expense, that would certainly suit your purpose.

If you are trying to hide your crossdressing from your wife, there's a significant chance that she will find out about it from credit card statements or mailings.

Your best answer about credit cards or mailings would come from the company itself. Call and ask.
    Krisi

We had two different storage units. Both had different rules. Best to call around and ask the questions that concern you directly to the company.

Platinum Member
    In your post you used the phrase "snooping around the house." I have read other threads which suggest hiding places. How about an attic crawl space. Just about every home I know of has an access panel in the ceiling, somewhere. Mine is in our converted garage into living space with a nine foot ceiling. I need a step ladder to access it. That may be a viable short term solution. Just be sure to wrap everything against dampness.

Just another 'Gurl'
    When I was in the army I used a storage unit for my femme clothes, breast forms etc. I also used a PO Box for mail order items.
    Just another man in a dress

We pay for ours with a monthly check and they do send us envelopes every so often. The daughter pays for hers with a credit card, all done online.

Seems about time to post this gem again!

45964292-2437-4FD1-9F30-609766CE3844.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    People always need their space. One easy solution is to get a regular foot locker with a sturdy lock and slide it to the back of your closet. Whether it's clothes, old Playboys, childhood toys or even fishing gear it's nobody else's business.
    That might work if you are a single CD'er, but I would think most wives would be curious about what was in the foot locker. I know for certain my wife would be snoopy and look, not so much as not trusting, but simply curious, but then I swear we both know what it stored away in every square foot of our house as we work together on cleaning and organizing.

We have a huge attic over our garage and she even digs around in there all the time as she has stuff up there. I used to stash some clothing up there, but was very careful where and how. I would wrap up clothing and put it in the bottom of a box of motorcycle parts, but it wasn't very convenient.

It is sooooo much better now when she knows and is accepting!

Rebecca - I don't think hiding it under some insulation is a good idea. Those fibers will get into everything no matter how well you wrap them up. Itchy!!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaYVR View Post
    Seems about time to post this gem again!

45964292-2437-4FD1-9F30-609766CE3844.jpg
    That is awesome, Angela! And I can not believe it is real and that there is actually another one on their website. http://ads.manhattanministorage.com/current-campaign-2/

Aspiring Member
    Cool, Angela! Yet another ordinary business with smart owners who recognized our existence as customers. Medical prostheses, footwear, leg wear, hospitality, charity shops, and a host of others have shown an increasing number of ads for the T-market. It makes good business sense. We have more money than average, though that varies a lot. We buy a larger share of what we want than most people. I know I spend amounts on Abby that I hesitate or decline for other purposes. And we are usually discreet and less trouble than the average customer. Experienced retailers know the difference between a cross dresser sneaking around a store and a shoplifter doing the same.

There are words for business people like this: smart and prosperous.
    Last edited by abby054; 11-07-2021 at 05:01 PM.

I believe the ad was originally posted on a billboard, there is a picture of that around somewhere. And just for comparison, anything near me that would provide enough room to get changed in - 5x10 feet - is around C$160 a month (I assume it is big enough, the height of the room is not mentioned)

There was also a British hotel chain that posted an ad several years ago on YouTube that showed a CD getting ready to go out to a concert but it has been taken down.

I keep all of my stuff in the attic except for wigs and makeup. In summer, the temps reach 140F so it is not so good for some items. I put plastic trash bags under and on top to keep them clean, then cover with loose fiberglass for an unwelcoming item to have to be moved. So far no one has touched it.

Sandi

My storage locker is a 5x5, and it's about 7 feet high. They just raised the price from $26 to $36. The rate for new renters changes weekly, and mine increases every 6 months. I've moved my storage locker several times to take advantage of lower rates.

My locker is pretty full right now (OK, it's bursting at the seams) but I don't think a 5 x 10 would help. If it was 10 feet deep, I'd have to leave a 2 foot path to the back to get stuff out with taking everything out when I anted to get something from the back. What I would like is a 10 foot wide foot deep storage locker, but I don't think they come that way.

I've had storage lockers for well over 10 years, and I've always paid cash in person. It's more trouble than an automatic debit from a credit card or bank account, but it's pretty much untraceable.

I do get snail mail letters whenever there is a rent increase, but they're send to my PIO Box that wifey doesn't know about either.

Any more questions post them here. My mail box is currently full.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda K. View Post
    Rebecca - I don't think hiding it under some insulation is a good idea. Those fibers will get into everything no matter how well you wrap them up. Itchy!!
    I agree. There's no way that won't end up as a problem, either with the insulation getting on your stuff or just on you when you're hiding and retrieving your stuff.
    Krisi

The fiberglass is not a problem at all. Just put everything in a suitcase and put plastic under and over the top. Then lay the fiberglass on top carefully. I have done it since 2017 and never had a problem with it. It is the high heat you have to worry about in summer. Well the other issue is that my collection is growing to be quite large.

Sandi

PS. That is the beauty of fiberglass - it is a natural deterrent for anyone to touch - but the Mansfield fiberglass is much safer to touch than most others. I have spare fiberglass in the attic so it does not appear out place. Just don?t look under it ; )
    Last edited by Sandi Beech; 11-08-2021 at 10:11 AM.

If possible , build a shed in the backyard and store all your cd stuffs there .

Banned Read only
    Just as an FYI for those who want to do the fiberglass thing. It's 2021 and there are plenty of inexpensive "fiberglass" insulation materials available at the hardware store that don't shed fibers and generate itchiness. Even so, properly wrapping and packaging your gear is appropriate regardless of where you store it.

That last line sounded like a sexual transmitted disease caution!