Thread: Stonewall fantasy

Stonewall fantasy

We go to New York every year or so to visit relatives.
    My fantasy is to pack a Cynthia outfit, get away for part of an afternoon, take a cab to the Stonewall Inn, go in as Cynthia in a suit and heels, have a glass of white wine and toast my sisters who started the gay / CD Liberation movement.
    Haven't tried it because of the nightmare logistics. (sigh)

Sounds like a good bucket list item

Cynthia, That is a fantastic bucket list item.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Platinum Member
    Now that is something I would love to put on my non-existent bucket list. Perhaps I need to start one.

Plan, think about it and do it .... you won't be sorry.........................Debra

I am totally ignorant about the Stonewall Inn.
    Maybe I need to add it to my bucket list. Darn, I need to get a new bucket to keep my list in, the bottom of my old one has rusted through. Where do we buy a bucket painted maybe a Barbie or Avalon Pink?
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

That is on my bucket list also.
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

A bucket list? I don't need no dang bucket list cuz I ain't got no dang bucket. Who's giving away buckets. I want'a bucket. Ooh h^^l, I guess I'll just have to make up a list and stick it in the cats litter box, cuz that's the closest thing I have to a bucket.
    Great leaders are not great because of their words or deeds but because of the greatness they inspire from others."
    (Legends of the StarDancer)

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Mary S View Post
    I am totally ignorant about the Stonewall Inn.
    This is clearly one of the many deplorable failings of our education system. Everybody should be taught about Stonewall. The Stonewall Inn in 1969 was to gay and lesbian people the equivalent of what the Concord Bridge was in 1775 to Americans at large: the celebrated "shot heard round the world" in response to oppression from outside. Eventually it taught the persecutors to "get the hell off our backs, because we ain't takin' it no more."

There were things I didn't know about it myself, including the fact that the Mafia owned the Stonewall Inn, along with many of the lesbian and gay bars back then. Homosexuality was "illegal" and the Mafia made money out of illegal things. Which only goes that even the Mafia can do the world of a bit of good at times. I dare say that's an example of the free market at work.

Anyway there are plenty of places to read about this stuff, including of course Wikipedia:

Stonewall riots

- Liberty Lori

Thank You Lori Ann that was a very informative post and link.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Banned Read only
    This is a great idea. I've been to NY many times as Monica and, honestly never thought of going to the Stonewall. I didn't even realize that there's currently a bar operating there. Figured it was a plaque on a wall kind of thing. I'll have to check it out soon. Thanks.

Living on the other side of the country I probley never make it there

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    This is a great idea. I've been to NY many times as Monica and, honestly never thought of going to the Stonewall. I didn't even realize that there's currently a bar operating there. Figured it was a plaque on a wall kind of thing. I'll have to check it out soon. Thanks.
    You should be able to use Google Streetview to see it. The address is: 53 Christopher St, New York, NY 10014
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

The Stonewall Riot got all the attention because... New York City, but there were many "uprisings" against police harassment of trans women and drag queens years before Stonewall. Google "compton cafeteria riot" and learn about the event that occurred in San Francisco some three years before Stonewall.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I could go any time yet I don't. Been there once early on in this life experience. Maybe tried 2 times more recently but it wasn't worth the line. Many fun places in the area. It's really just a typical not so special bar with a historical significance.

Oh, yeah, still there and going strong, far as I can tell. We went past it on a holiday -- it may have been Pride Day -- and the street was Mobbed!!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Didn't know about the Mob. There is a book, "Stonewall" (I think) about the bar and the riot. I've peen planning on reading it