Doing the out and aboutery thing today I decided to have a nice lunch at a small country hotel/pub.

Walked in and the usual sign, "Please wait to be seated". Here in Wales some covid restrictions are still in place and despite 4 empty tables within immediate sight the waitress asking if I'd booked, which I hadn't, um'ed for a moment but then said, "Doesn't matter, take that table there if that suits you".

People in small groups then followed me in, two's, four's, those with no booking turned away or told there was a 30 minute wait. Being sat at a table for four I offered, should a smaller table be free, I'd be happy to move but I was told I was fine.

Starter, pigs in blankets with Yorkshire pudding and gravy, main; grilled sea bass with saut? potatoes. All very nice.

Time to pay the bill so a tip was naturally added and then before leaving, and this is the whole point of this tale, I asked where are toilets please?

"Passed the bar, turn left", and she could have left it there but continued "ladies first door on your right". That warmed my heart.

It's those little kindnesses, those acknowledgements of how we hope to be treated that can make your day.