Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasonal job at Torrid

Seasonal job at Torrid

A few weeks ago I was shopping (dressed) at a Torrid I'd been a shopping at for a couple of years and was asked if I would be interested in working through the holidays. I was a little surprised and replied I didn't know, so she threw a flier in the bag that said how to apply online. I thought about it over the weekend and after mentioning it to my wife decided it might be fun and a good excuse to get out of the house more. I went into the store to ask a few questions, like what would I be expected to wear, how many hours I'd work and decided I'd apply.

After applying and a phone interview I was offered the job and today was my first shift. It was the first day type of things, like how to punch the clock, a few SOPs and following others around learning what to do throughout the shift. Co-workers were cool and customers didn't seem to mind me. I was head to toe in women's clothes all bought at Torrid or Soma. A nice yellow sweater, dark green t-shirt, and jeggings. I thought I did a good job with my make-up and hair and breast forms for some shape. Got a complement on my nails and outfit.

The only thing that caught me off-guard was when the manager asked what pronouns I would like used. Using Billie as my preferred name I guess I should have expected that, but I wasn't expecting that and didn't know how to answer. I went with, whatever the person feels is OK to use. I mean I am a guy wearing women's clothing working at a women's clothing store.

A little cleaning as we closed up the store and the shift was done. All in all it was a good day. We'll see how this goes for the next two months. At the very least my make-up skills should improve, if not my wardrobe growing.

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    Enjoy the experience Billie. I can relate as I worked a series of seasonal second jobs for a number of years. Not so much the money, after taxes and low pay anyway, but the interaction with other employees and the public was quite satisfying. You might find that eventually you become the shift "expert" and go-to person in some way. Have fun.

Congratulations - off to a great start

Billie - it sounds like you have come across a true to life oxymoron - A "fun job".

Billie, Wonderful on getting a job at Torrid and of course you got a nice compliment on your gorgeous nails. I would think that getting to see what new items come in and your discount will be fun!
    Crissy

Banned Read only
    OMG, so happy for you! This is definitely on my bucket list.

Billie my wife wouldn't let me do it . The manager of my of Torrid in the town over knows me by name , have fun. (in fact I was there yesterday) Connie

That's a wonderful experience for you. I hope that you enjoy it.

A few weeks ago, I was at an outlet mall where a CDer/T was working in a store called The Cosmetics Warehouse Store.

I am so happy for you. What a truly wonderful experience this must be. Have fun!
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

Platinum Member
    That is marvelous! Hope you enjoy it!

Aspiring Member
    Outfit description but no photo?

I do have a question: how will you be able to make any money? None of us on this forum would be able to avoid spending all we make and more on store merchandise.

I think that is just fantastic. I wish I had the nerve.

Quote Originally Posted by abby054 View Post
    Outfit description but no photo?

I do have a question: how will you be able to make any money? None of us on this forum would be able to avoid spending all we make and more on store merchandise.
    I'm not ready to put photos on the internet, I know that sounds strange, but I do add photos of my fingernails.

A job to make money or spend more than I make? That was the first thing my wife said too.

How great! Congratulations! I assume you will get an employee discount. I love their shoes?so comfortable. Enjoy your experience.

A dream job in my eyes.
    I'd be able to do it, but not in the area we live.
    Last edited by char GG; 11-19-2021 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Not going there/borders on being political
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

So awesome for you! I can't wait to hear about the employee discount! And future postings on how it's going.

What a great story... Happy to hear such a good one.
    You can say you're tottally accepted as you are... and lucky to have an open minded world around you... but you probably creat this world but your owns.
    Sometimes, life offers presents we deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    A dream job in my eyes.
    I'd be able to do it, but not in the area we live.
    I'm in Texas.

So, it can be done, if you have the "muffins" to try.

Two years ago, I was out of work and had been for 6 months. I had gotten to know a manager at a Dressbarn that I frequented, and she told me I should apply. By the time I got past the fear of working at a Dressbarn, I could never track down the manager FtF. Every time I came in, she was either out to lunch or off that day. But she did pass me a message to just apply, so I did.

I applied at Acenia which was the corporate owner of Dressbarn. Conveniently, they also own Ann Taylor, Loft and Lane Bryant. Around this time, it became clear that Dressbarn was going to be closing. But, I did get a phone call from Lane Bryant. We did a quick phone interview and then set up a FtF interview. I was told that one of the interview questions was to select a complete outfit for a fictional customer. So I did a recon in boy mode to check out the stock.

I got dressed very professionally and did my best makeup job. A GG friend let me borrow a very classy but understated necklace. She also checked out my outfit. The interview went great and I was really excited about getting out of the house and the experience of working as an SA at a women's clothing store.

A couple of days later I got the call that I got the job. Even though the pay was really low, I was really excited about working there. When I approached my wife about this opportunity, she shot it down faster than she could say, No".

As it turned out, two months late I got an engineering job that I'm still working at.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 11-19-2021 at 10:59 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Billie, so awesome, hard to believe it went so well but so happy it did!

What do we all do when no one notices all the trouble we go through to look as pretty as we can? It seems that day might be a lot sooner than we thought!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    I'm not ready to put photos on the internet, I know that sounds strange, but I do add photos of my fingernails.

A job to make money or spend more than I make? That was the first thing my wife said too.
    I was going to congratulate u, Billie. Having a job many of us could dream about!

Then, u post that u have a job dressed out in public but you're afraid to post a pic on CD.com even tho you've been a member since 2004?
    I'm sorry, but something here doesn't make sense!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sounds great. Enjoy the experience being a working girl. Hope the employee discount is good too.
    If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    The only thing that caught me off-guard was when the manager asked what pronouns I would like used. Using Billie as my preferred name I guess I should have expected that, but I wasn't expecting that and didn't know how to answer.
    Clearly, people made and are making the assumption that you're transgender. Being transgender is very much in the public's conscience nowadays and certain companies are taking positive steps to appear inclusive. Notice the position they offered you is not permanent.

Anyway, speaking for myself, there are times I identify as transgender for the sake of avoiding a long, boring conversation. I mean, saying I am a hetero guy who likes to look pretty from time to time only seems to confuse some people, so why bother?

Hope you're enjoying the gig.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Billie, Congratulations on the job.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I was basically offered a job at Torrid and knew better then to take it. I'd probably spend the whole pay check before I ever got home with it. If I remember right it was 50% employee discount so might have had a few dollars left.