The week before last was a dream week for me. My reluctantly-tolerant wife went out of town, and I'm working from home. The only need to interact with anyone as myself was on that Tuesday, when I needed to go into the office and we were scheduled to have a housekeeper visit. All in all, it was a great time. I dressed up and put on makeup and wig every morning except Tuesday, and on Tuesday evening, I painted my fingernails and kept them that way for the rest of the week. I made a couple of grocery trips at night and had dinner one night at a restaurant/bar that is popular with local crossdressers. I was sad when the week came to an end.

My wife knew, of course, that I was dressing up, and she received confirmation of it on that Wednesday when she called me for a video chat without giving me advance notice so I could clean up out of respect for our DADT detente. (I spared her the wig, but I didn't see any need to turn down her call otherwise.)

The punchline (and warning) came this weekend. On the last night before she was to come home, I took a selfie and ordered a print for a souvenir, to be kept in my journal. I deleted the photo from my Google Photos account as soon as the notice came saying that the order was ready for pickup. The hardcopy is safely put away. Yesterday, however, my wife said that the photo had turned up in her Google Photos account. Apparently, the facts that I had unshared that specific photo with my wife and deleted it from my account had not prevented it from remaining accessible to her a full week afterward. We had a good laugh, and I've filed a complaint with Google, but the bottom line remains: if you are trying hard to keep a secret, don't take a photo with anything connected to the Internet (I didn't), and don't upload it to the Internet. Privacy settings are not necessarily bug-free.