Thread: Kept the same name?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kept the same name?

I hope this is enough of a different thread from another new thread that had been opened by another member but I had been thinking this anyway and didn't want to steal her thunder but I digress

I am thinking of changing my femme name. It's been Melissa since I started on this journey and that has been 14 years or so and I was wondering, how many members have changed their femme names over the years and has it been done multiple times but the same member?

Melissa

Aspiring Member
    I can't see any reason you can't change your name if that's what you want to do. Why not? It's supposed to be fun, if another name is more fun or gives you pleasure why not do it? Sherrii

People change over time, why shouldn't their names? Women marry and change their names to reflect their new identity so why not.

It happens. Artists do it, women do it. When I was a little kid I got a nickname that lasted up until my college years, when it seemed time to move beyond it. Then, when I started working, and was involved in amateur sports I got another nickname that lasted a few years until I changed jobs and interests. As human beings we are fluid creatures; we evolve and change;how we identify changes. Why not our names?

Fifty years I could not possibly have imagined typing directly into a video screen, sharing my predilection to wearing women's clothes with a community of strangers, but here I am. We evolve and change. Why not our names?

I've had two feminine names over the years, If I decide to transition to living full time as a woman I may pick a third. You'd think, at 71 that would be a settled question by now, but life experience has shown me that few things are really settled until they are settled.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Reality Check
    Obviously you can change your name if you want to, it's not a "real" name. In the "real world", most people don't change their names, they go by whatever their parents named them at birth. It's actually pretty complicated, changing your name on official records, credit cards, etc. and for most folks, it's more trouble than it's worth.

That said, my name here is not the name I would use in the "real world" (as a female). I would probably use a female variation of my male name even though I would rather have a different name. Interestingly, my mother had a name picked out for me if I had been born female (back then, the sex of a baby could not be determined until he or she was born). I would use that name but my wife has something against it because of someone she once knew.
    Krisi

Over the decades I've been dressing I've gone by many different names. Since coming out to my wife and joining the forum I have gone by Cheryl. It took much thought and deliberation but it has special meaning for me and it's who I am at last.
    The other names were just something to be identified by in various situations but they never meant anything to me. I suppose that's why it was so easy to change them. All that is over now. I am who I am.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I'd like to take the opposite view from most here so far. The problem, as I see it, is having to re-establish your identity. The many persons who you have communicated with would be confused at best, even upset that you were gone, unless you have reached out specifically to them. Almost like starting over in some ways, unless that's exactly the point. Besides, Melissa is a really nice name.

Platinum Member
    My birth certificate says Kimberly. I guess Mom knew something.

I?ve only done so once. I thought this name suited better.

Sorry ladies, at 70, I’m too old to miss an opening like this.

I’m Rhonda, but you can call me anything but late for dinner. (Ba Dum, Bum / rim shot)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Well - in here, I've always been SaraLin, but I have wondered lately if I should change it, since it's oh-so-close to another member's name and I don't want to cause confusion.

Also- my wife has jokingly started referring to me as "Becky home-eccy" since I've been taking over a lot of the housework. (health issues are slowing her down)
    So, maybe....

But I'm kinda attached to being Sara, so for now, I guess I'll just stay put.

FWIW - way back in history and before I joined up here, I used to use the name Amy - but it never felt quite right.

My femme name is based on my given name, so I don't think I'll change.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Aspiring Member
    Nope. I have always been Abby when en femme. Your name is how other people identify you. Changing your name affects them, probably more than it affects you. Keep that in mind and act kindly.

It depends.

iF you've already gone out and socialized en femme and you have enough friends who already know you by your current name, I'd advise you to keep it. IMO, the choice of one's name should be a settled issue by this stage and asking people to remember another name is a hassle and makes you look like you don't know your own mind. Like the "Cheryl" character from the Archer series, she keeps changing her name and is clearly batshit crazy. You don't want people projecting that on you.

OTOH, IF you only dress in private and don't socialize en femme at all and nobody knows your femme side, then sure, it's of no consequence. Go ahead.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

hi Patience
    While I have been going out as Melissa for many years, I really don't have any friends in that "world" and so, starting fresh probably wouldn't be too hard and for those few in my life now who know me as melissa, I imagine a quick email or similar to them will resolve that issue.
    It's just an idea at this stage and it's not going to be my legal name or anything.
    I have always liked the name Jessica and have been trying that on for size plus a few others

Hi, Jessica.Thanks for the response.

It's your name and your life, so you know best, of course.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I've knowen a transgender girl for two years now. In this time she has changed her name 5 times. If you have found a name that suits you better then by all means change your name. One of the benefits of deciding your name is you can also change it.

Melissa, if you are more comfortable with a different name, then there is nothing stopping you from using it. I recently started using the female version of my male name. Misty came about when dressing was more of a fetish. Since I now dress more appropriately for my age with normal every day attire, I wanted to have a name that suited this new me. The only thing I haven't done is see if there is a way to change my current name in this forum without starting a whole new profile.
    I am just a guy who enjoys wearing women's clothing and there is nothing wrong with that.

Platinum Member
    I have been Wendy for as long as i had a name i like Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    My birth certificate says Kimberly. I guess Mom knew something.
    So did mine, she marked female on my social security application. Must have been that way for almost 60 years. Until a friend in HR told me I needed to correct it before I retired else there would be $$$$ implications to my social security payments. I had kind of put it off and one day my wife asked me if there was something I was not telling her! Lol

I have been Karren since I was 7. I did add a middle name a few years ago. Personally, change your name to what ever makes you feel good inside.

Aspiring Member
    I used to go under the name Carolyn, but now I prefer Holly.
    Change your name if you want. As often as you like.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    My femme name is Gerri, my male name is Gerard and I have been called Jerry on and off my whole life, so I am used to it. I see no reason to change it.
    I just changed the spelling. Gerri's last name is Valentine.