Sorry, this is another post about Helen's holiday.

Over the years I've attended a support group based in North Wales called Unique. If my calculations are correct due to covid and other factors it'd been 3 years since my last visit.

So there were a few new faces and initially I got chatting to one of our community and we swapped life stories, as you do.

Later I found myself in a discussion with a group of about 4 or 5 one of whom was a F2M trans guy. During our conversation he made an interesting observation namely that F2M trans folk have an easier time when it comes to blending into the crowd. "Once the hormones kick in, you get facial hair and your voices changes it's easy to just merge into the background". He also added that it's a little known fact but there are more F2M trans people than M2F.

Because it's easier to effectively dissappear into the background it does mean that most of the media attention gets focused upon the M2F community. Those are the high profile cases we see often represented in an unkindly light and he said that while he felt the F2M community should perhaps be more vocal, it can be difficult to "Stick your head above the parapet".

Helen came away from that evening a little wiser and glad she went. We are part of a bigger community and having the broadest view certainly gave me food for thought.

It did make me think about where I sit on the CD to trans spectrum. I'm fairly confident I'll never contemplate transitioning but I think I've come to the conclusion given certain circumstances, which are not likely to occur, then I could go full time.

I will say that in meeting others of our broader community it does make you consider your own situation. While I can understand those who say support groups aren't for me, the occasional visit can certainly provoke a bit of self reflection.