Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first in store purchase.

A long blond wig at McAlpins (a long defunct local department store chain) when I was a teen. I saw an ad for it in the Sunday paper and I just had to have it. I drove to a store across town (rather than the local one where my sister worked). I had a "cover story" about how a group of us were buying it as a joke for a girl that hung out with us. In retrospect, I'm sure that the sales lady didn't buy the story and knew who the wig was really for, but she went along with the flow and made a sale.
    Last edited by GracieRose; 12-02-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Back in the 1980s, I was in a discount clothing store and I noticed a table full of beautiful bustiers at a very cheap price. I had never thought about buying women's clothing before but this was too sexy to resist. They were all for tiny ladies so I found the biggest one, bought it, took it home, squeezed into it and enjoyed wearing it.. Shortly thereafter I saw a store that was going out of business that posted a sign saying garter belts were on sale for $15. Now I had two items. I brought home black stockings from the grocery store, picked up white panties, a skirt and a blouse. It all came together because of that fateful day in the discount clothing store.

I can't remember if it was dress or heels or both. Sometime in the 80s in a discount place near Times Square. Had no clue what size dress to get so ended up with one way too big, too afraid to even hold it up against my body.

After I became brave enough to say, "I am shopping for a skirt for me," I was shopping in a small "mom and pop" clothing store. The sales person was being very helpful. I asked her if she gets a lot of guys buying for themselves. She said, "No." I was her first. She and the other employee told me about another customer who came in on the same day as me. He had a list of items to buy for his wife. His list had sizes and everything. They said they had fun helping him and told him to come back anytime with a list. I asked if the sizes were large. They said yes. I told them that having a "list for my wife" was a common trick used by crossdressers to buy for themselves. I know this is a mere single anecdotal piece of evidence... But, in this case, the sales people had no idea. They completely bought the lie.
    (I ended up buying a colorful maxi skirt made out of liquid knit fabric -- so silky -- and a short sleeved top. I wore it out of the store with some shoes I had in the car. They welcomed me to come back.)
    I am a man who presents male and wears feminine clothes.
    I blog about my outings: https://joeypress.wordpress.com/

I'd bought hold up stockings before from a super market and while it was exciting nothing compares to buying my gold strappy heels. Buying things is a tricky situation for me since my wife doesn't know and we share a bank account, the last thing I wanted was a query on why I was buying something in a women's clothing shop. At the time I had got a job in the city and had been quietly taking money of the account for lunch and saving some of it. When the time came to buy the heels I was so excited and scared that I thought I was going to be sick. I found what I believed was the right size and queued up to pay with the rest of the women (I was the only male in the shop). I had to try really hard to control my nerves, I paid and I was SO excited about buying them I had to try them straight away in the only private place, the work toilet. That was over 10 years ago and I can still feel the excitement and fear just thinking about it. (and yes I've still got the shoes!) When I think about it now though it was silly, nobody was probably even thinking I was buying them for myself, but in my head EVERYBODY there knew.

Later on I ended up buying even higher black court heels and a skirt from the same shop, (items I still have and wear today) and while they were a buzz, it wasn't quite like that first time. The Pink Fog has grabbed a hold of me BIG TIME now though, so I expect my stash to grow quite a bit over the next few months, every extra purchase is exciting!

My ex and I had some fun with my underdressing. We were in an off-price store (C-Mart) and I found some thongs. She got the white ones and I got the bright blue ones. So my first purchase was a mutual one. Sadly, she moved on for reasons unrelated to dressing.

A few years ago, the urge to dress hit me again. My first purchase was cotton briefs in a couple of sizes, since I had no idea what my size was. Again, from an off-price store (Ollie's). I've moved on to thrift stores. Never had a problem (in the Before Times) asking for a fitting room to try on jeans.

Lately, it's been the thrift store outlets, where the things that didn't sell for $5 go for $1.09 to $1.59 per pound. Never gotten a look or a comment at the check-out.

I always pay cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Dame View Post
    My first experience was purchasing a blue garter belt at Fredericks of Hollywood store - remember them? I'm not divulging how many years ago.
    We had them in our local mall up until a few years ago. I bought tons of stuff there. Now they are online. I miss shopping there in person.

When I was young (1950s) it was not at all unusual for children to buy nylon stockings as a birthday or Christmas present for their mothers. I did it several times. When I was in my teens and had girlfriends, they too sometimes mentioned nylons as acceptable gifts. It really wasn't unusual and caused no embarrassment whatever. Slightly oddly, when stockings gave way to tights it seemed to be different: neither my girlfriend my mother ever suggested a pair of tights as a present and I never bought any for them. However, because I had done it so many times, I never gave any thought to buying tights or stockings for myself and never encountered any suspicion on the part of shop assistants.
    Of course, it was rather different with other items of women's clothing and I did find it somewhat intimidating when buying underwear and have no idea whether the sales people knew what I was doing. Subterfuge such as the "shopping list" from a wife or girlfriend seemed to work, especially as I could use relatively small sizes. Only on a couple of occasions did I leave a shop empty handed because of reluctance on the part of saleswomen to serve me.

I was lucky; had an older sister 6' tall, who went through clothes pretty fast, always storing the 'old' out of style stuff (basically anything from 'last season') in the attic, so I had an extensive wardrobe at the ready whenever I wanted. But of course, the one missing thing, was stockings, as they were tossed out routinely when ruined. So that was my routine item, picking them up when I went food shopping for the family. I always wondered if my parents thought it unusual that I always volunteered to do the food shopping as soon as I got my driver's license. So that first time, I was 17. L'eggs pantyhose. Suntan color, queen size. I would wear that brand for years. The up side, it made me acutely aware of my foot hygiene and toenails condition. I think I still have some of those plastic eggs that they came in!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Black stockings when I was about 14 years old and I absolutely loved them.

I love being a girl
    My first purchase was after I had told my wife how much I liked wearing her knickers. Together we purchased a lovely pink nylon full cut panty at Target.

I loved those knickers so much and over the ensuring 44 years I have ventured out many times to add to my collection.

I used to go back to Scotland for Easter and summer holidays. One of the highlights was raiding my aunt?s underwear drawer. I?m not sure if it was normal in those days (mid 90s) but she had loads of stockings, suspenders and slips. I was l always careful and put things back folded in the right place.

Eventually I wanted to get my own things to have at home so at the ripe age of 16, I worked up the courage to go to M&S at Cameron Toll in Edinburgh. I knew what size of slip and panties I needed but had no idea about bra size. So some nice sales lady about 40 (which seemed ?old? at the time) asked if I needed help. Gave some bs line about it being for a girlfriend and she was ?the same size as me? 😂 Ended up getting a lacy black and a lacy white one with D cups as she thought it would give a more feminine shape. Loved the way it looked like I had real boobs under a full slip or nightie.

She even asked if I wanted to try it on and I just went bright red and said no thanks. Ended up going back later that week and got a skirt and heels. And I?ve been a Marks girl ever since! Still have the slips but no clue what ever happened to the bras.

My first purchase occurred when I was 20 attending college in St Louis I went to Target. I had nervously walked around the store wanting to buy something took me about 45 minutes I finally picked up the phone black leotard with some tights I remember I was excited but nervous and scared. But I did it

Banned Read only
    Bought shoes and two dresses - asked for a gift box but got a knowing look from the store assistant.

Was scary and exciting all at once.

More success online now

But was still a rush

I bought a white garter belt and nude stockings at what used to be called a five and dime store at a mall when I was probably14. I had gone into the store and looked at them multiple times before buying them. I remember the garter belt was in a cardboard box with a picture on the front. The boxes were hanging on wire racks next to the packages of stockings. I did not understand why I felt so compelled. It made no sense to me to be so ashamed of something that made me fell so wonderful. Wearing that garter belt and stockings felt RIGHT!

In my 30’s, week before Halloween, walked into a Lane Bryant to buy some panty hose, as suggested by my GF.

The woman at the counter asked, “Are these for you?”

I replied “No,” and she said, “Yeah, sure.” Blushed bright red.

My first purchase was a couple of bras and panties. It was the first time i had driven to the city by myself with my own vehicle 🙃 at 16. Bought them at Canadian superstore. Two different styles of bras in the same size wanderbra i think. On my way home I stopped to eat at a fast food restaurant and as it was fall, i put one of the bras on in the restroom under my heavier clothing. Wat a sensation driving home with my very own bra on. It fit not to badly ether.

When I was 16 it was 3 pairs of pantyhose I bought with my own money I was with my mom both scared and excited at the same time

Lindsay, did your mom know what you were buying? Please share the details, it sounds like quite an adventure.

Gee... I can't actually recall for certain. Probably panties and/or a bra
    and I was probably mortified.

I used to get so embarrassed buying for Wendy-Lyn, but nowadays, if
    I want something, I just put on my 'big girl's panties' and simply buy it.

I've bought a few dresses, tops, bras/camis and panties recently, all in
    'guy mode' - oh, and a pair of sandals (can't 'do' heels). I know my dress
    size (Australian size 14, sometimes 16) which makes things much easier
    and less stressful, but if I buy something which doesn't fit I simply return
    it for a refund or exchange.

I also bought some makeup the other day (mascara, eye-shadow and
    some lip-gloss, also some nail-polish), once again in 'guy mode'.

I've never had an issue with any of the SAs I've dealt with but, although
    nothing's been said I'm sure a few have known or guessed that the items
    were for me.

While I'd love to go shopping en-femme, I live in a small town (25,000
    people) and so would surely be spotted sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Wendy-Lyn; 12-16-2021 at 03:54 PM.

I don't know if it counts, but back in the day, you could order from the Sears catalog and do an instore pickup. You'd get a card in the mail saying your package was ready, at what store. You'd go pick up the bundle and the cashier would just ring up the total.

I had just got my own place, and my big plan was to live full time over the summer between semesters, so I ordered quite a lot with some money I had saved up. My plans didn't quite work out that way, but it sure was fun.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Panties in male mode

I don't remember whether it was a girdle or an AIO bodysuit. Both were confiscated.

Stacy?s post, initiating this chain, does a wonderful job sharing the anxiety of the first purchase. I felt I wanted to reach out to her 15 yo and reassure and encourage.
    We?ve all been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaiden View Post
    Stacy?s post, initiating this chain, does a wonderful job sharing the anxiety of the first purchase. I felt I wanted to reach out to her 15 yo and reassure and encourage.
    We?ve all been there.
    Thanks, but I wouldn't change a thing about that or any of my other awkward shopping experiences. They're all a part of my journey. I eventually got the courage to spend as long as I wanted in the stores browsing and deciding. One day at Sears I was probably 18 and it was Christmastime and mall was packed. I kept going back and forth between a pair of red tap panties and baby blue satin PJ short set with light pink collar and pocket and hem around the shorts. While holding the red satin tap panties, a man walked by and said "That's not your color". I wasn't embarrassed at all. I bought them.
    Another time at Mervyn's I found a beautiful teddy that was a metallic blue satin on the front and black sheer mesh on the back. The SA was quite a bit older and was trying to explain that the cups were really small and if the person I was buying them for was big in the upstairs area, she might pop out. She was more embarrassed than I was.
    I can relate to so many of the memories that have been share here. I love it.