Today was a very big day for Geena.

I was so encouraged by my recent trip to a store, I wanted to do it again. I saw an opening today, and even worked the excuse of going to the city to Christmas shop, which I intended to do. I left home drab and went to a local store and found one gift, and got myself a new pair of hose, then off to my ‘safe house’ to transform. I really wanted the feminine feeling, so I took my purple dress and a slip, and my black heels because I felt awkward in the wedges last time. I did a simpler job on make up and dressed up, took a couple pictures and off I went. I’ll describe my first stop last. My second stop was Hobby Lobby where I had something specific in mind, which they didn’t have. They were busy on a Friday afternoon, but I was set on a plan and walked right in. Much closer encounters than before and knowing that I was seen, but no shocked looks or ugly stares. I looked around for a little bit, but nothing I wanted to get.

The next stop was a Super Target, which was very busy. It was pretty nice browsing the women’s dept. looking for a certain gift sweater which they didn’t have. I also checked out items for myself, but no shoes my size, nor clothes that suited me. I was a little disappointed since I was looking forward to making a purchase. My last stop was the gas station where I just did a pay at the pump. Still felt relaxed and good.

My first stop, though, was going to the Big Lots where I chickened out back in the summer. It was busier today than then, but I am a lot more confident now. I was definitely being seen, but no extreme reactions. I looked around at some gift sets, but nothing I really wanted. I headed over to the furniture area, hoping to find a good mirror for taking a picture. I didn’t find something that good, but tried a couple.

As I turned to move on, a CS girl approached asking “Can I help you find anything?”

I had been practicing my fem voice and replied “No. I’m fine.”

Then it happened!

She called to me “Ma’am?” I turned and said “Yes.”

Then she said “I just wanted to say that you look absolutely adorable.” “Why, thank-you,” I replied almost choked up. She apparently had made me, but wanted to let me know she appreciated the effort. It’s no wonder I didn’t hesitate going into my other stops. That was the most encouraging thing I have felt in a long time.

In the end, the only gift I bought was in drab mode, but it was still a day to remember.