Thread: Truth in Sitcoms

Truth in Sitcoms

I was remembering today an episode from a short lived sitcom from the 70's or 80's called "Carter Country," about a small town sheriff, starring Victor French. The episode was about an annual chorus line where the men dressed in drag for a fund raising event. It progressed with the usual gags, but I remember the ending very well. Victor French's character announced a couple days later that they wouldn't be doing the chorus line in the future, because "half the guys are still wearing the dresses." I guess it's hard to quit once bitten by the bug.

Geena, I gember Carter Country but not that episode. However, half the guys are still wearing the dresses." is totally understandable to me.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

We did not have a TV when we first got married and were too busy building our own house but I do remember that show. Nothing has changed. We are still the butt of many joke. At least that is the way my wife sees me!

Found it on YouTube. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g6v1lH0ivMw

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Nearly everyone else would think that was just another CD joke, Geena!

Including me!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I?ve not seen that episode, but will look. Your last sentence, For me, I would replace the word ?hard? with ?impossible?. Thanks Karen for finding it.

Sometimes the real truth about actors comes out in a sketch they portray.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I've mentioned to my wife more than once, "if more guys would just try on a skirt or a dress, a lot more guys would be wearing skirts and dresses."

It was the local "womanless beauty contest" that helped me understand my need for dressing. ( I didn't win, the winner was the man who raised the most funds for the cause, a fireman.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    So true.

In Married w children, one of the kids mentioned a neighbor who had a closet full of women's clothes, and I never got the reference (and I can't remember the joke context) until I realized what a cd was

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryAverageGuy View Post
    I've mentioned to my wife more than once, "if more guys would just try on a skirt or a dress, a lot more guys would be wearing skirts and dresses."
    For me, no truer words. Possibly because I was never alone as a kid, never far out of my parents sight, it never dawned on me to try on my mothers things. Not until I was an adult did the thought enter my mind, I tried on my wife's nightgown, and now here we are!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Geena, I gember Carter Country but not that episode. However, half the guys are still wearing the dresses." is totally understandable to me.
    Yup...I would have been one of those!

I to am still wearing dress. I even still have and can wear the dress I wore way back then. Now it is loose fitting.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

I think, or at least hope, the portrayal of crossdressing in movies, TV, books will help normalize CDing, or at least lead to some general understanding and acceptance.

I'd like to see a serious portrayal of cross dressing in movies or a TV series. Perhaps a detective, lawyer, or doctor (to pick some standard characters) who dresses as a way to relax or focus on the problem at hand. The danger in sitcoms is that dressing is likely to be played for laughs.
    Last edited by ziggie; 01-17-2022 at 12:47 PM.
    So many new things to learn

Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari (RIP) In Bosom Buddies…
    Inside my heart is breaking
    My make-up may be flaking
    But my smile still stays on

Platinum Member
    I have to agree with Karren (#3). Nothing really has changed. Actually, it has gotten worse. It use to be no more than comedy. Now, all sorts of misinformation arises with "bathroom" laws. I doubt television would ever progress to the extent of having a character who openly cross dresses. Society is not ready for that.

I remember Carter Country very well. One of my favorite sitcoms in the 70's!! I don't remember that episode though. I think I will have to find it on YouTube!