Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get changed safely?

Question Where to get changed safely?

As I find myself on the road a lot (in a car) and I usually have my relaxing clothes with me but finding places to get changes safely I find challenging. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    A friend of mine used to change in and out of her gear in her car in the back of well lit parking lots.

I once changed in a fast food handicapped stall one afternoon between lunch and dinner times!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've dressed with female clothes and overdressed with male ones, carrying some accesories (wig, forms, makeup, shoes, jewelry) in a bag to the car. After some streets, I parked and removed the unwanted clothes, completing the look with the stuff from the bag. Then, continued the trip.

Sometimes, I didn't want to stop few streets before the destination to change back or hide the way I was dressed by overdressing, because I would love to get there as Tam.

Banned Read only
    Over time, I became very adept at changing in my cramped car. Eventually, I could go from full male to full female mode in under 25 minutes. Pro tip: It may sound counterintuitive but packed retail parking lots are the best. You want to literally hide in plain sight. The more activity around you the less anyone will pay attention to anything happening inside your car. If you're in an empty lot, any movement inside your car will draw eyeballs without fail. Hide in plain sight. Walmart lots always worked for me when available.

rule no 1, cant leave the house dressed, rule no2 see rule nunber 1.

soo she doesn't want to see it or me leaving the house dressed....i comply to keep the peace....so i to dress in the car....use my mask instead of the makeup process, saves so much time before and after outings.

i underdress as much as possible before leaving the house and use park lots for cover, gym lots were good before covid so many have gone out of business since....defaulted to the commuter lot next door since.... and i use a hospital overflow lot in a professional building next to the hospital coming and going...depends.

one time a bus emptied while at that lot but peeps didnt even notice....had my heart pumping though.
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

For years I have used the family restrooms at interstate highway rest areas. Walk in male and walk out female. Also handicap porta-potties in parks.

Platinum Member
    When on longer road trips, I used to stop at a public rest stop that had M/F and family restrooms. The family rooms had space and mirrors that were handy for getting made up and checking my overall appearance.

I used to change in my minivan in the commuter parking garage. On a weekend, I was unlikely to meet anyone I knew, and there were no stoplights between me and the expressway. My main worry, though, is getting caught without clothing on; I don't want to be charged with a sex crime. It's not illegal to be seen in public in another gender's clothing, but it IS illegal for one's privates to be exposed. These days, when I change from my bike clothes into regular clothing, I do it in the back seat of my SUV. There's no steering wheel in the way, and the rear windows are better tinted. Were I changing M-to-F, I'd still do my make-up in the front seat, because women put on make-up in their car all the time!

Reality Check
    Mostly, I underdress and then complete the change in my vehicle. A camper would be ideal, but alas, I have either a small pickup or a Camry. It's not easy, especially in the driver's seat. Usually, I will do this in a parking lot and as someone else mentioned, it's better to be around other cars than off in the back corner where the police or security may come and check on you.

I think once or twice I changed in the "family" restroom at a mall, but I felt bad because it's meant for families who need it and I was tying it up changing.

The difficulty in changing from boy to girl and back is the main thing that limits my outside adventures as Krisi. It turns what should be as simple as walking out the door and driving away in the car into a major production.
    Krisi

Back in the days when it was necessary, the car in a shopping centre car park.

It's a lot easier these days just walk out from home.

Even in the early days I had supportive friends and usually changed before I went out.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Ah, where to begin.

I've changed in my car in parking lots and (multistory) parking garages. There are a number that I've used depending on where I'm going and time of day. I usually underdress and remove male clothes and put on female clothes in the car. Once I have my wig on, I don't have any problem putting on my makeup in the car, just like any GG. I have a battery-operated LED mirror for nighttime "operation".

Public bathrooms, either boy, girl, unisex or family. If in a boy/girl, I usually lock myself into a handicap stall.

At a CD friend's house or at a GG friend's house, provided that you have a good friend.

I've even used the bathroom at my therapists before and after my appointment.

One of the events that I attend uses the "community room" in the Government Center. I used the bathroom in the community center to change. Sounds easy peasy until I tell you that the local Police Station is located in the community center building. I've changed in the parking lot, the men's room and the ladies' room at different times.

Once, I think, my nail tech at the salon even let me use the back room.

It takes some degree of inventiveness and fearlessness. I'd hate to meet an officer of the law in the middle of dressing.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

@Sometimes Steffi;

I have only been out en-femme once, and I changed in the car without too many hassles
    but can say it's not the ideal way. Yes, I was quite paranoid about being seen mid-change.

But I under-dressed, then covered up with a pair of 'trackie-daks' and a 'sloppy Joe' top
    (both 'guy-gear') then when I got to my chosen spot I just removed the top, pulled my
    skirt on over the track-pants, then removed them.

Put the wig on, inserted my chicken-fillets, bit of lip-gloss and a touch of mascara, then off
    I went.

Went for a short walk and shot a short video, then drove around for a while.

Got made while I was sitting in the car eating some lunch, but not recognised (they didn't
    know me) and I was well aware I didn't pass, so wasn't too fazed. Nothing was said.

Went well, considering I'd never dreamed I'd ever be doing it at all until I joined this forum
    recently. Thanks to all whose posts and comments encouraged me to get out of my comfort
    zone and give it a go.
    Last edited by Wendy-Lyn; 12-16-2021 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Aspiring Member
    Outside of my house I've only ever changed in the car. Usually in a car park, but sometimes in a quiet rural lane.
    My latest car has quite dark tinted windows in the rear, so that will make life easier when the time comes.

It's very difficult to change in the car and it's pretty risky finding a bathroom in which to change. I only do it if I'm going all out dressed to the nines. But, then I've never felt affirmed by riding around while dressed. One of my first times out was to rent a costume at the Renaissance Faire and be out and about anong hundreds of people (many who were also dressed in costumes, but more like knight or jouster for the men).
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I find it really difficult and awkward to change inside the car but I have done it a few times. I agree that mall parking lots are easier to avoid attention. Recently, I tried it at the local library. There aren't many people around noon on a weekday.

Honestly, I don't see how mall parking lots are a good idea regarding privacy, with mall security riding around looking for things out of the ordinary.

Sheesh... it takes me an hour at least to get dressed and made up. How you ladies manage it in a car I can't imagine.

Seems to me that reversing the process would be even trickier, unless you went with very minimal makeup.

Phonebooth

Once and a while I have to wait for some reporter guy to get done. . . .

Colleges\Universities.

Find out where their Art/ Drama dept. is and change in their restroom facilities. They're normally clean and open early enough that you can beat most of the traffic if you time it right.

You can use any stall, but the ones for disabled people are the roomiest and best for changing.

When you're done changing, leave wearing sunglasses to help avoid eye contact. Make sure your shoes are comfortable so you can get away quickly if needed. You can put your high heels on later.

I expect other department restrooms would work as well, but I have a feeling it would not as easy to blend in if you were seen in the Business or Science Departments. Lol,
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Nothing beats a hotel room

I save up a bit of money and use it once a month.

I can relax and enjoy the whole process.

I can then shower off all the make-up

Nothing left behind in the car, like a fake nail that was missing and I took a month to find.

A friend of mind use to use the changing rooms at the support group facility

Some of the transgender focused boutiques will left you use for a fee their rooms

I am always underdressed and wearing baggie outerwear (unisex jacket if needed) and carry my grab-n-go bag that is big enough to hold my purse, shoes, jewelry, make-up, and extra nylons, wig, etc...if the wife is at work or away.
    I will even do my make-up and leave the house in a ballcap and sunglasses.
    I can remove my outerwear pants i the garage and put on my high heels and skirt over my slip and nylons.
    So leaving the house, I am about 90% dressed in fem and a busy parking lot, parking garage, or forest preserve parking lot completes the look.
    If I cannot get prepped at home, my local transformations salon has 2 changing closets I can use if it is within store hours.
    We also have two old style Motor Inns locally that rent a "day"room, meaning you have to be out by 4pm.
    Usually between 11 and 4, I can get a day room for $20.
    On the way home, at night, when the transformation salon is closed, the forest preserve is gated, we have a few high rise multi-use office buildings that keep the lobby open 24/7 and I can use the bathroom to change as they are never used after 5pm.
    Stores like Target, Walmart, and shopping malls are also a good place to change late in the evening.
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

Besides the numerous car changes, I use the family rooms at several of the YMCAs around me.
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/

Candy

I wouldn't dare changing in a Target, Walmart or any other store.

If caught, you might have trouble convincing store security what you had bought before and what you were attempting to steal while walking out dressed.

Banned Read only
    Mall security is looking for kids loitering around or breaking into cars, not middle aged men putting on makeup inside the car. They don't get paid enough to care what you do inside the car. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Honestly, I don't see how mall parking lots are a good idea regarding privacy, with mall security riding around looking for things out of the ordinary.

My usual motus operandi is to underdress, but with blouse and eye makeup. Then take off trousers, put on skirt and heels, pop in falsies, finish makeup, wig and I'm ready. I've done this in the mens at conference hotels, (not wanting to freak anyone out) and once in a stairway (no mirror -- Goddess knows what I looked like). At the Chicago Pride parade I used the porta potty -- there were lots of them, no one cared if a man went in an a woman came out. (bit icky, tho) Center on Halsted has unisex restrooms. Changed in a dungeon at Gallera Domain.