Thread: First Time Out!

First Time Out!

I did it! I went out for the first time yesterday. I drove an hour through the rain into Boston for a get-together and clothing sale. I almost chickened out in the parking lot, and would have been disappointed with myself if I had.

I dressed to blend. Jeans, cowlneck sweater, riding boots, wool coat. I was so nervous just walking through the parking lot and building, but everyone made me feel welcome. Thank you to Scarlett and Natasha and Tabitha for hosting. It was wonderful to finally meet other 'dressers like myself. Thank you to Sarah for making me feel comfortable, and the rest of the ladies too, (sorry I don't remember names very well).

You all made me feel so full of confidence that I stopped by a mall (a few towns away from home) and took a stroll through. Saturday afternoon during the the busy Christmas season and no one took any real notice of me!

(I'm going to try to put a few pics up in the picture forum soon)

Congratulations Savannah, glad you didn't chicken out. Sounds like the get-together was a good one, I guess you'll be meeting up again.

Savannah, I'm so happy for you, sounds like a truly amazing day and please share your details about how you got past the "almost chickening out" part, I know I've not left the car, got to the door and turned around, got in the door and then turned around and almost every variety of failing.

I think the most important part is how easy the mall was and how little anyone else cared that you were out in public, all pretty in a casual and comfy outfit, just being another shopper in the retail crazy season. You deserve complete credit for two homeruns on one day, a meeting and a solo mall trip, both such major accomplishments for a CD yet much easier than we would ever believe prior to doing them.

So happy for you!!!

Jamie,

I think I would have been just too disappointed in myself. I had just driven an hour in the rain. I couldn't just turn and go home. One goal at a time. I made it through the door. Then through the building. I didn't encounter may people inside. The build was full of offices, but many of them closed on a Saturday. Once I got to the event I knew I was "safe".

Savannah, so awesome and so similar to my recent outings. Once you see that the public just doesn't care as long as you are casual and appropriate, your mannerisms are close enough and you seem to be just a woman going about her shopping there is no reaction needed. In Kohls last week I was within 2-3 feet of at least 10 other shoppers, but the biggest "win" was at the jewelry shop where I was looking through some gold colored bracelets and earrings when a woman wanted to look at the same rack. I eased over to the silver racks, could see her in the mirror and she never looked up or took a second glance. I later went into Sephora for a big step, approaching a sales assistant for color and product info, she had absolutely no reaction other than simply helping me find the right product. She picked out the stuff that was on sale, applied test patches to my chin, showed me samples of the powders, etc. She then grabbed a shopping basket and cheerily sent me off to the manager/cashier where things went even better. It had to be that I was simply comfy enough that they were comfy in response, as I'm sure if I was overly nervous or otherwise not "in the norm" I should definitely expect a response that is something other than the awesome sales professionalism that I enjoyed.

Did you stop and try anything on? Glad to read about another gurls awesome day!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Congrats on your first time out, believe me it get easier and easier every time when you realize that the villagers aren't going to case you with torches and pitchforks. Just be yourself and walk like a lion not a mouse.

Peace & Love
    Gerri

Way to go Savannah! That first time is hard, but exciting, scaring and very affirming. You have a racing heart because someone in our universe says you shouldn’t do this, but at the same time you have the calmness that tells you that you are in the right place. Here are good wishes that you will have lots more opportunity to be yourself.

Savannah, Good for you. I hope you purchased something nice for your self.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Platinum Member
    It is very good to hear that your first time out was a positive experience.

I'm guessing that Scarlett is the same lady that has done makeovers for me several times. She's always been great.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

What a wonderful and encouraging account. I have chickened out in a parking lot and had to deal with that failing. It can be so hard to shed the self-conscious feeling and step through that self-imposed wall. The greatest thing I experienced is the feeling of freedom, being in a different place where nobody is going point and say 'isn't that so-and-so?' So great that you could meet others and share the mutual support and encouragement. Thank you for sharing.

Glad all went well for you - ah - to be oneself not so much to ask for a gurl.

I'm glad you got out and had fun Savannah. Not turning back now.

Good for you SavannaVee, I've only started going out in public recently, I don't know why, but I suddenly had the urge to see if I could pass, so I got dressed up, took a deep breath and went shopping. I have to agree with you and NjJamie that if you dress and act appropriately, nobody cares. My profile pic was taken a few weeks ago in a department store and I had a lovely few hours wandering around the shops, trying on heels and sipping a coffee at Starbucks. In one shoe shop, a girl came over and asked if I needed help, I replied in my usual male voice that I was ok and without a moment's hesitation she said if I needed assistance to just ask and then went to help someone else.

I did practice walking for months and had a few short warm up excursions before the big day, but the feeling of walking through a shopping mall in heels, skirt and nylons is the best ever. Wish I'd done it years ago.

Savannah,PASS, and again Pass , well done on the blending in, take it slow, do you have apartner to convince how gorgeous you are ?, Do you go out ?? , so many questions for a girl that will pass

I can only hope my first outing will go so well! Congratulations