Thread: I was "womansplained" lol!

I was "womansplained" lol!

I recently picked up a new Rago waist cincher at a specialty lingerie store that I have shopped at numerous times, both in drab and while dressed. The cincher came with detachable garters which I typically don't use. Normally I would just remove them and forget about them but since I had them I figured I would get some stockings to go with the cincher.

So about a week later I went back to the same store in search of stockings. Normally the staff at this store treats me no differently than any other customer but since I was in drab, it's Christmas season and the woman who greeted me may have been a seasonal hire this time was different. I think she assumed I was shopping for my wife.

I explained that I was looking for stockings that did not have silicone bands at the top to be worn with garters. She started to show me their offerings and then started to explain things to me as she tried to ascertain specifically what I wanted. She started to tell me all about denier which "sort of tells you how heavy or how see-through they are". Then she showed me another pair that "have a little line that goes up the back" etc.

She was super nice and helpful and I found what I was looking for. I think she is just used to most guys coming in without a clue so that is what she was expecting.

So now I have a feeling for what it must like to be "mansplained", the big difference being that this woman was being solicitous and helpful while mansplaining is typically more condescending in nature.
    Last edited by Elizabeth G; 12-14-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Platinum Member
    You're fortunate to find traditional garter stockings. My usual source has dried up. Thankfully I always stocked up with Berkshire hosiery when there was a sale. When in-home I find traditional stockings and a garter girdle work fine. Outside, it is pantyhose and a foundation garment to flatten the obvious.

My wife hates when I explain something to here. ?I am not stupid?. Problem is I can not stop doing that! Lol. Does not bother me when someone does it to me. But it sets her off, maybe that is why I keep doing it? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth G View Post
    So now I have a feeling for what it must like to be "mansplained", the big difference being that this woman was being solicitous and helpful while mansplaining is typically more condescending in nature.
    Exactly. Has something to do with education, long story.

Silver Member
    She probably assumed you didn't know anything about hosiery. I would guess 90%+ of men don't know anything about them (and the other 10% that do have a fetish for them and/or wear them themselves.) Kind of natural for a woman assume a man doesn't know anything about them.

I was so frustrated when they stopped making my favorite Berkshire garter stockings. It is very difficult to find decent gartered stockings now, that are durable enough for daily wear and are wide enough for my thick legs. I wore them outside as well as home (attached to a girdle, under a slip and tops out of view of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    My wife hates when I explain something to here. ?I am not stupid?. Problem is I can not stop doing that! Lol. Does not bother me when someone does it to me. But it sets her off, maybe that is why I keep doing it? Lol.
    I'm an engineer and I have been one for over 40 years. I get paid to "mansplain". It's really hard to turn it off.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Liz, maybe if u had said, "I'm looking for stockings that go with garters", she mite have assumed u were knowledgeable.

I'm wondering why u didn't? I would have.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!