Thread: Planning for a walk next week. Feeling a bit nervous

Planning for a walk next week. Feeling a bit nervous

Next week I?m renting a little AirBnB place to finally have some time to dress. I have a few nice new outfits for the occasion. I will be sure to post pictures. It will be my first time dressing in a place that?s not a hotel room or my house. It?s beautifully furnished, so should make for some nice photos.

One of those outfits is just a casual pair of leggings and a sweater. I even bought a pair of women?s walking shoes. Unlike my normal Camille attire, I dressed the whole thing down with grays and blacks in an effort to just blend in. I plan to take a walk around the block. It might be a little bit rainy, so I invested in an umbrella too.

I?m feeling excited about the opportunity, but a bit nervous for some reason too. I?ve been out in public before, but not too many times. I?m just planning to walk around the block a few times and see how it goes. It?s a safe neighborhood. I guess I just wanted to do something that isn't getting all glammed up, but is rather just me being my femme self in the world, no matter what anyone might think of it.

Anyhow, I?ll report back and let everyone know how it went. But if anyone has some words of encouragement, it would be helpful and appreciated!

Thanks, Camille

Have fun and be safe.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Always be aware of your surroundings but don't be constantly looking over your shoulder, walk with confidence, don't be mousy be a lion, chin up tits out as they say. Don't let the butterflies in your stomach get the best of you. I can guarantee that you won't be chased by the villagers with torches. Just be normal and act like a lady, use your best girl voice when interacting with someone. A nice sweater dress and some flat boots is also low key and great for a nice stroll around town. Good luck on your adventure and have some fun.

Peace & Love
    Gerri

From all the pictures I have seen you share with us, I have no doubt in my mind that you are going to have a wonderful time. Your look is very natural and you will blend in perfectly. Like Gerri said, be the lion! And don't forget to take that smile with you, it looks beautiful on you! When are the dates you are planning on going there? I want to know how long we have to want for your report! Have a great time and venture out more than around the block!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda K. View Post
    When are the dates you are planning on going there? I want to know how long we have to want for your report!
    Arriving on Monday, and planning to dressed and go out walking on Tuesday if all goes according to plan. It?s supposed to rain lightly, but I might have to change plans if that changes to heavier rain. If not though, then I?d likely post photos late Tuesday night. I?ll have Wednesday too, but I suspect I?ll be too exhausted from Tuesday?s fun to get dressed up again!

Platinum Member
    The walk will be a delightful experience?rain or shine. The nerves will pass within minutes of stepping out the door

Nobody will care. Quit overthinking it. Just do it, and you will wonder why you didn't go out before.
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/

This is great Camille. We are all behind you. Can't wait to see those pics - I want to enjoy it vicariously with you!

Buy a bright pink umbrella! Make you look more authentic than a dull black one! And works everywhere except maybe Portland! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Camille15 View Post
    I?ll have Wednesday too, but I suspect I?ll be too exhausted from Tuesday?s fun to get dressed up again!
    Sounds like the perfect chance for you to wear those cute overalls then! Those would be great for that type of weather you are expecting! I am so happy for you, I hope you have a great time!!! Remember, we want smiles please!!!!

Platinum Member
    Go for the stroll and have a good time. I am primarily an in-home dresser who takes strolls when I have the opportunity. I do not wear pants; only dresses, heels and hosiery. I love the cool air playing with the hem of my dress and slip. The only recommendation I have is the type of shoe. My initial outings were in heels. Most women's shoes with a narrow heel are not made for long strolls. Concrete sidewalks ate mine up. I bought a wedge with about a two inch rise and with sound deadening soles. Some heels will definitely click loudly on concrete sidewalks and turn heads. I have another recommendation to blend in better. In the neighborhood I take my strolls there are two 24 hour full service grocery stores. I carry a tote with the logo of the store. It appears I have a purpose and I am not just walking around in circles aimlessly. The umbrella is a good idea. In my case (6 foot/200 pounds) the umbrella helps to obscure my male face and somewhat my height. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHiddenMe View Post
    Nobody will care. Quit overthinking it. Just do it, and you will wonder why you didn't go out before.
    Wish I'd had this sort of advice when I was preparing to go out in public. Enjoy your walk Camille, I loved every minute of my first walk in public and I now go out most weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHiddenMe View Post
    This advice about not overthinking it is something I suspect most who've been out dressed would echo. Those little gremlins than sit on our shoulders whispering into our ears that they will get you, the mob will be waiting to point and laugh, ridicule awaits the second you step out the door, we've all experienced those. It's only once we've taken those steps that we realise those voices were just in our heads, a creation of our imagination.

You will undoubtedly feel nervous but those nerves will quickly subside. As you relax your confidence grows. As you gain confidence... you relax. Enjoy.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Camille, excellent planning and enjoy your time out, as others have said you should expect almost no notice from those you do cross paths with, everyone seems to just be too busy to bother with you! That said, be as calm as possible, your demeanor drives their response. If you believe (and enjoy!) just being out and about and are dressed similar to the majority of the locals, you will just be another woman on a walk and no one will really notice what you and the rest of us know, they just won't!

I am almost disappointed in the lack of response when I've been out, I guess once you get comfortable you simply blend into the background, unless of course you decide to interact in a closer manner or otherwise reveal some part of your disguise. Don't worry, just have a great time and report back, we all love to hear about each others successes!

Camille, have a great time.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Even tho I've been out countless times and seen by 1,000's of people, Camille? I've never "walked around the block" dressed. Not even in a strange city where no one knows me!
    I usually visit T friendly venues or clubs and bars where I know people r there to have fun and not judge!

You're much braver than I!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I'd just say to remember, you're in a reasonably safe neighborhood. Don't worry about 'passing,' hardly anyone looks at someone and wonders about gender. Just feel good about how you look. Above, just step out the door, feel feminine, and enjoy. I have found it liberating being where nobody knows me, and I don't have to worry about who will see me. Relax and have fun.

Enjoy your walk! Hope you can do lots more things in the future. Just every day things are so much better when dressed up. As for the shoes it?s fine if they are comfortable but remember that heels make you concentrate on walking in a feminine way. If you are in comfortable flats you might be tempted to stride out in a more manly way!

Thanks all for the advice and encouraging words! I plan to:

* Put my chin up, "tits out", and walk with confidence
    * Relax and stay calm
    * Feel good about how I look
    * SMILE
    * Remember to walk in a feminine manner despite being in flats/sneakers.
    * Enjoy the scenery
    * Resolve not to care if/when I'm "made", because I'm not trying to fool anyone. Rather I'm just a trans (or person on the trans spectrum) person out for a walk in the world and am happy being me!

I may also do that grocery bag tip that Stephanie recommended, just to blend a bit more.

I'll post about my walk and rest of my day in the Photos forum.

Thanks,
    Camille

Reality Check
    You say you are going to walk around. My advice is, dress appropriately for your walk, act like you are walking someplace and walk in broad daylight, not at night and particularilly, not late at night.

You are presenting as a woman so you should dress and act like a woman.
    Krisi

Get out there!! You are beautiful and will do great.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and encouragement! In short... I DID IT!

Since it involves photos, I posted details about it in a new thread in the Pictures gallery.