Thread: When you're reading and you're thinking to yourself.....

I NEVER go bare-legged! Kimberly A.'s Avatar

When you're reading and you're thinking to yourself.....

Hey y'all! I just thought of a random question. LOL..... Anyway, when you're reading something, (anything, doesn't matter what it is), or you're typing or thinking to yourself, do you read, type or think to yourself in a feminine voice? (I hope that makes sense. LOL) I do..... Even as I'm typing this, I'm imagining the words that I'm typing being spoken in a feminine voice. It's kinda cool.
    My YouTube channel: Kimberly A.

Ummm - no? I can't say that my inner dialog actually HAS a voice - either male or female. It's just me.
    Years of social programming has me spending a large portion of my life "thinking like" a male is expected to, but in quiet moments, not so much. Still - no "voice" as such.

Now, there ARE times when I'll be in the middle of something and say to myself something like "come on girl...", but not often.

But then I'm in a partial DADT marriage, and I've learned that an even bigger "NO-NO" than overstepping my dressing limits - is to "act too swishy." If she feels that I'm getting too feminine-acting, her hackles come up real quick. So - I've learned to ACT like a male around her, no matter how I'm dressed.

So - in a real sense, this is really about the only place where I can just Sara. And even in here, when I read some of the things I've written, it sounds to me more "masculine" than I'd like.
    <sigh>

Only when the act of fantasizing takes precedence over the act of reading.

My inner reading voice is an extension of my gender non-conforming being, so why should I force a gender on it? It's truer to my nature as is.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

My inner voice is has no gender, it is only my outside persona that changes.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Platinum Member
    No, however, as I am keyboarding I am wearing a black bra, black panty and black full slip.

Honestly, I don't think that a mind's voice is either male or female but if you want to believe it does then do so.
    I don't believe that a soul has gender either. It conforms to the vessel that contains it.
    Last edited by dawnmarrie1961; 12-31-2021 at 11:52 AM.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Platinum Member
    Honestly, I am not aware of a specific inner voice?male or female. And I type to fast to hear the words

I never quite got how people think 'in a voice'. I don't hear any talking when I'm thinking; no inner voice speaking while I read, either. When I recall a particular incident when I was talking, I 'hear' myself as I did when I spoke. Perhaps if I practiced feminized speech, I'd hear that. But I haven't tried to speak as a girl, because, well, the vocal cords and throat make it difficult, and as I don't go out dressed as a woman, I have no need to practice doing that.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    When I'm typing or reading I concentrate on what I'm doing. I was looking for a bra the other day on line. I assumed what I would look like with it on. I didn't think about my sex, it was about how I would look with it on.
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 01-01-2022 at 06:54 PM.

With all this covid stuff, I have been alone so much I just talk to myself out loud all the time. The other day I caught myself doing it in the supermarket. It can be either masculine or feminine, depending on what I'm doing. Usually though, it's a comical voice, especially when I am talking to the cat. She remains unimpressed by my scintillating wit.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

If one I had, more like Yoda in drag, I fear my female voice would sound! But hence I do not!

My grandmother heard voices! She ended up in an asylum and received a number of electro shock sessions. After that she hated men with a passion!
    Last edited by Karren H; 01-01-2022 at 11:49 PM.

Platinum Member
    No really there is no auditory association with the words I read or type. I suppose some people do and some do not. I read much too fast to be hearing an intelligible voice…if it kept up it would sound like Mickey mouse

An additional thought. People differ. Some people associate sounds with colors. some people can mentally manipulate objects in their minds, others cannot. Some people don’t recognize people’s faces.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 01-02-2022 at 02:11 PM.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Wow OP, pretty much nobody went with you on this. I will! I've done some pretty serious amounts of voice therapy and one of the topics was how do you speak to yourself internally. Funny how so many here say that it is not a thing. Interesting. It is a thing for me for sure. Maybe for some it isn't something they recognize that they do, but according to my voice therapist, everybody does this, but whatever. You do you boo!

For me, I had to recognize that this was happening, then I had to understand it, then I had to try and change it, now I'm trying to maintain my new voice consistently, internally and externally.

Oh yes! It is fun. If I read to myself with a feminine Minnie Mouse voice--I can read much faster.

Squeaky voice, but much faster to cover a paragraph. Some fun!

I do but a lot of what I write has a female protagonist or at least a feminine protagonist it helps stay in character.
    In casual writing, like this forum, no.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I read much too fast to be hearing an intelligible voice.
    Perhaps this is the primary reason why so many don't 'hear a voice' reading what we see. I, too, kind of speed read, and yes, it would just sound weird if I had to apply a voice to it. Same with thinking; after reading this, I tried to create the sound of speaking to the thoughts, but it was going on too quickly to insert the virtual sound of a voice, to go with the thoughts.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I NEVER go bare-legged! Kimberly A.'s Avatar
    Well Karren, I didn't intend to imply that I "hear voices in my head" and I don't need to be committed to an asylum or have electro shock therapy just because when I read, (for example on this forum, or when I'm reading a book), my mind tends to give voices to the people who wrote the words on a screen, (as in this forum), or to the various characters in a book..... If that makes sense.

Also, I used to spend a LOT of time in chat rooms, not so much anymore and when I read what others were typing in the chat rooms, I would imagine what their voices might sound like. That's really what I meant, not that I hear voices in my head.
    My YouTube channel: Kimberly A.