Thread: Bought my first Walmart bra.

Bought my first Walmart bra.

I haven't cross dressed since I was a teenager in the '60's, and then only briefly and furtively. But over the holidays, I decided I was old enough not to have to care what others might think, and I shopped up a storm online, buying a variety of breast forms, bras, and tank tops. While waiting for them to start arriving, I did the old trick of stuffing balloons under my shirt. They felt really good, confirming I'd made the right decision. But they wouldn't stay in place. I really did need a bra.

So after an doctor's appointment, I rolled into a nearby Walmart and headed over to the displays of women's wear. I say "rolled", because a wheelchair is how I get around, which has its advantages. (People tend to give you plenty of room and then ignore you.) Supposedly, my bra band is 34". But what I saw on the racks sized at '34' were clearly going to be too small. I guessed a XXXL might be the right size for me (aka, 42 DD), even though I really am just 5'6" and 130 lb.

At home, I cut off the tags and slipped on the bra. Perfect fit. Just the right amount of snugness. In went the balloons, giving me a 'D' cup, which felt right, even though they created an top-heavy, Dolly Parton profile.

Two things became obvious from the shopping trip. If you exude an air of confidence, no one gives you a second glance, even though a guy shopping in women's wear is unusual. Second, I really do need to learn how women's clothes are sized.

Arindam

That is awesome, Arindam! Congratulations! That has been a long time. I love buying bras at Walmart. Just an easy place to go but ours have limited sized below 38 in the bras I like. Their No Boundaries push-up bra at less than $8 is amazing!!

And welcome to the forum!

I agree, there is definitely a learning curve on size differences

Good for you. You and along with a lot of us will be confused with women's sizing.

I just returned from a trip to Walmart. I had purchased one of their No Boundaries bralettes a while ago. It has pockets in the cups which I tend to put silicone inserts in. I decided I needed a couple more so purchased 2 additional colors. I wear a XXXL and it fits perfect. Over the past 2 months it's become rare that I don't wear a bralette. I have only 1 pair of the inserts (cup size A/B) and will order 2 more (next 2 sizes up) in the next day or 2. I do have an underwire bra (44C) that I use D cup water balloon falsies in. I wear it in the evenings after my wife has gone to bed. I enjoy wearing it for 2 - 3 hours before taking it off to go to bed. I buy all my panties (Secret Treasures lace) at Walmart, too. I had to buy another 6 pack today. I do have another underwire bra and 2 nighties scheduled for delivery tomorrow at a local Amazon locker. The No Boundaries bras at $10.00 each and the 6 pack of lace panties at under $15.00 are both great buts so far as I'm concerned.

The first few times I bought lingerie in person I was nervous as could be. Now, I don't give it a 2nd thought. The issue I've found with sizing is there seems to be no consistency from manufacturer to manufacturer. As men, we buy slacks in a 34/32 size or 36/31, etc. What does size 12, size 14, etc. actually mean? What I've discovered is to read size charts carefully and if in doubt go 1 size up. I'm a size 18 (or so I think).

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Wait, I don't get it!

Heather and Arindam both bought size "XXXL". So, without trying them on, how did u know they would fit 42-44 band size?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I read a LOT of reviews on-line before I purchased the first one back in August. In those reviews a LOT of questions had to do with sizing. Based on the responses I took an educated guess that proved to be correct. Since that one fit so well it made good sense to go with the same size again.
    Last edited by char GG; 01-04-2022 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote the post just before yours

... without trying them on, how did u know they would fit 42-44 band size?
    I didn't know for sure the bra would fit me (who's a 34" band size, if I'm understanding how bra sizes are calculated). I just guessed that XXXL was what I needed.

Well, actually, I estimated. I'm a wheelchair user, and when I roll into a store to shop and will be hauling out more things than fit in a book bag, I bring my own box with me rather than pay for the new bag the store wants to sell me and use the box as my shopping basket. Today's box --perched on my lap-- was 15" wide, as I knew from taping it with a mini, 3', tape measure I always carry in a fanny pack that I use as a tummy pack to carry keys, wallet, and whatever book I'm currently reading.

Let's assume my chest really does tape out at 34" (when measured 2" down from the nipple). Half of that is 17", right? A sports bra, which is what I bought, is pretty stretchy. So when I held the bra in both hands over the box and then spread my hands apart, I saw that 17" was possible and guessed that the bra would probably be comfortable. The try-on at home confirmed that.

If this had been summer time --instead of a cold, rainy day-- and if I hadn't been wearing double sweatshirts --plus rain gear--, I would have used the dressing room. But trying to roll into the typically small dressing room that stores provide and doing all the undressing needed was going to be more of a hassle that I wanted to attempt, especially since the price was just $9 and and the high quality of the product was obvious, as well as its stretchiness, which meant that getting the sizing exactly correct wasn't necessary.

As it turned out, my guess was as good as a professional fitting, which is an encounter I'm not yet experienced enough in this crossdressing stuff to benefit from, never mind me preferring to learn by making my own mistakes.

Arindam

Congratulations! on your purchase if your happy with the fit thats all that matters. At 5'6" and 130 lb. you have to be giving Dolly a run for her money lol.

FYI youtube has a lot of video's on measuring your Bra size

Arindam, Congrats on your first in-store purchase. However, I'm also confused by 34" to xxxl conversion.

'
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

The women's sizing issue is a big problem, even for women. Sometimes it seems like the manufacturers have yet to hear about tape measures. It is kind of a crap shoot. Sounds like you did well. I have purchased a Large that ended up like straight jacket and something else from a different manufacturer that is like a tent. Usually closer than that, but don't be surprised. I guess that is why women frequently try before buying and spend a good deal of time in the dressing rooms. Even men's wear which was pretty reliable in the past is getting more variable.

For myself I'm going to go back to my youth when there was one car in the family and everyone went shopping together. When going to the big department stores the men would go to the men's wear and hunting section and the women would go to the women's department. If I ever would want to talk to my mom my dad would tell me it's not respectful or men shouldn't go there. I guess this was dwelled in my head and even up to today when I'm in the ladies department I feel like the spot light is on me. I respect you for having that courage because for me I just can't get comfortable in the ladies department

Sri darn, Good for you! Hope your online purchases fit! Wear what you want and what makes you feel good. Would it be a correct assumption that you live alone or do you need to negotiate this dressing with a partner or roommate? Nancy

Nancy,

I live by myself. Also, there's no boy friend or girl friend I have to explain things to or hide activities from. Also, "coming out" isn't a problem in the sense that "been there; done that" many years ago with regard to my sexual orientation, not that labels are very useful.

Yeah, I, too, hope my online purchases at Amazon and eBay work out. But I'm fully expecting that some won't. As is always the case with new "hobbies", there's going to be mistakes and inefficiencies. But as Maria points out, "The times, they are a-changing", and cross-dressing is a lot easier to do these days than it once was.

-------------------------
    "At 5'6" and 130 lb. you have to be giving Dolly a run for her money."

Connie,

Settling on a breast size (or sizes) is something that's going to take some experimenting with. If the Cross-dressing Fairy came to me and said, "Make a wish', I'd ask her/him/them to restore the nerve damage in my legs, so I could walk normally again.

"Ah, that's outside my line of work."

"Well, how about helping me look like Emily Mortimer (from the Newsroom series) or Emily Blunt (from Salmon Fishing in the Yemen)?"

Again, she'd probably say, "Son, you just don't have the body for that transformation."

"Well", I'd reply. "If my options are limited, how about a pair of boobs the size of Naomi Wu's?"

"That you can do yourself with a size G or H breast form. Have a nice day."

Naomi Wu (aka, the Sexy Cyborg) boasts of having the biggest pair of breasts in China. But she's also a thoughtful person whose discussion of her choice to augment is worth considering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVAjbJGd4GE

Would I go out in public with a set her size? In the winter, yes, because being bundled up in clothes would all but hide them, and anyone who did notice wouldn't dare to dare to say anything, not to a guy in a wheelchair. Summertime is a whole 'nother matter, and I'd drop down in size to something less obvious if I were wearing just a tee shirt. And I wouldn't wear a snoop neck and flash cleavage. That's just asking for trouble.

So my initial thoughts are this. Around the house, I'll go big and bold. In public, I'll be discrete.

Arindam

A week ago, I timidly bought my first bra at Walmart, which offered the anonymity I thought I needed. I was there again today to pick up some groceries, after having found at Home Depot what I needed to build a lawn game. On my list was whole wheat flour, which the store had none, and very litle juice, probably due weather-related supply problems.

A second bra -- bought online-- had already arrived. So I didn't need a third. But I thought, "What the heck", and rolled into the women's department, this time full of confidence. A cute one caught my eye. The price was right, and the cup size seemed smaller than what I owned. (The size was marked 'M', with no info about what 'M' meant.) Into my shopping basket it went.

As I rolled out of the department, a display of panties caught my eye. "What the heck", I figured. "In for a penny, in for a pound". I found my size (XS) and selected a style that might be comfortable. (You gotta love Walmart if you're a timid shopper.)

My route home takes me past a Goodwill store, where I often find good books. "What the heck", I said to myself. "Let's take a look at their women's clothes". The 'color of the week' was 'green', meaning 'half off'. Found two cute tee shirts and an underwire bra. The male store clerk might have looked at me and my purchases with disapproval and thought I was queer. But I'm now out enough to myself about this cross-dressing stuff not to back down for anyone.

At home, I swapped my C-cup inserts into the size M bra, slipped one of the tee shirts, and the effect was stunning. The tee shirt was flat across my stomach and bulged out at my boobs in a way that looked natural. Male tee shirts, OTOH, tend to be baggy, roomy tents built for comfort. Women's clothes --I'm discovering-- tend to be more tailored and form fitting. My guy clothes just aren't going to work when I'm cross-dressing.

Arindam
    Last edited by Arindam; 01-11-2022 at 01:07 AM.