Thread: Thinking about terminology

Thinking about terminology

Wikipedia says the practice of 'cross-dressing' is centuries old, but that the term itself is as recent as 1967 and came about as a protest against an older term, 'transvestitism', which I'm finding better describes me. I don't cross-dress because I'm role-playing, or gender-confused/gender-misassigned, or iconoclastic. I do it because it's sexually exciting.

By age 10 I knew --better, 'thought I knew'-- I was gay. By my mid-40's, married and with kids, I would have said 'bi' was a better description. Today, decades later, I don't much care what you call me. ("Just don't call me late for dinner.") To whom I could respond to sexually is no one's business but my own, and --when asked-- I'll checkmark whatever box seems appropriate at the time. But my sexual ambiguity means I can't truly "pass" if I find myself in either camp, because I don't share enough of their politics and proclivities. (And I really do think 'sexual orientation' --in the sense of 'lifestyle'-- is more political than hormonal.) As for trying to present as woman, that'd take more effort and expense than I'm willing to incur for the sake of an experiment, especially since it took me years to learn how to present as a working-class hard hat, and I never did truly succeed.

When I first got into working in the trades as a marine machinist --aka, ship's equipment mechanic-- I didn't even know enough about overhauling machinery to be able to change the oil in my car. But the one thing a good liberal arts education does teach --at least in the old days before colleges/universities became mostly just Marxist madrassas-- is how to learn, and job by job, skill by skill, I learned my craft and became one of the best marine mechanics on the west coast, with a sterling rep with the naval ship sups. But here's the real irony. Though my co-workers clearly respected my skills and work ethic and I could both walk the walk and talk the talk --literally-- they knew I wasn't really one of them, that I was "slumming" as my Mom would say, and that I didn't really share the whole of their reality.

Same-same was true the couple of years I taught the lower-division rhetoric series at a couple of 4-year colleges. Yeah, I could "pass" as an instructor, because I was drawing a paycheck as one and my students were out-performing those of my supposed colleagues when all students when tested at the quarter's end in common exams. But those instructors/professors "knew" I was just a blue-collar kid with a degree from a better university than they got admitted to, but who wasn't --and didn't wanted to be-- part of their club and social class.

I think the same is true --for me-- about this cross-dressing stuff. It's not an "essential" part of whomever I might be. It's just a bit of most harmless fun while I wait for water temps to warm up and for fishing season to begin again. About that, I'm serious, and about boat-building.

Arindam

Whatever floats your boat. There is no one term that's all encompassing, even LGBTQ probably misses a few out.

So use that which bests suits your purpose.

Aspiring Member
    I don't care much for terminology.
    I grew up with the word "transvestite". It wasn't until the advent of forums such as this that I even heard the term "crossdresser".
    It makes no difference to me what people call it.

Call it what you like, for what ever reason, wearing female clothing is what we all have in common here.

Arindam, You do you and I'll do me.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Most (all?) who have tried to explain or classify us over the years have been academic types, not people actually like us. Often the terms have been disparaging and marginalizing. I once also looked for answers about myself in books. Trust me, they aren?t there. I have come to realize that there is a broad transgender continuum. What might start as a fetish does not always remain only a fetish, and there still is a reason that certain males are so attracted to female clothing and others seem to care little. However, most men find lingerie stimulating. That is why it is a multimillion dollar industry.

I realized that my own search to classify myself was more about overcoming shame. Once I accepted that I am on the transgender spectrum, I began to care less about how some academic (who has never felt like I do) would classify me. BTW, we come in all walks of life, cultural and income levels. Nancy

Pretty much all the terms are a bit muddied up. They mean different things to different people. I know of people that cross dress, but heaven forbid if you call any of them a cross dresser the fangs come out. Even that CD'ing is simply wearing clothing meant for the opposite gender.

Even the terms cross dresser and transvestite have the same meaning, transvestite holds a bit more of a sexual connotation to most. Cross dresser is more beige, less kinky.

It matters not at all which term, CD or transvestism, is used. And experts claiming they see a difference are just puffing their own prejudices.

But boat building, Cool! Put some boat building stuff I the Lounge section.

Over the last few days I've been going through the threads on this forum and learning and learning. And this thread has triggered a thought process. The idea that we are on a sliding scale or spectrum makes a lot of sense to me. Ranges from a CD Admirer to a post op m2f or any other category in between or beyond can sit in their place on the spectrum but I doubt a person stays in the same place on it all the time. To categorise me as one of the generic terms might be correct one day but wrong the following day. Depending on my mood or my desires that day. So maybe a more encompassing term would be better to use. That said, I think LGBTQ+ is too broad but do heterosexual cross dressers fit in with it anyway?

Just for fun, I searched for the history of the term "thansvestite".

transvestite (n.)

"person with a strong desire to dress in clothing of the opposite sex," 1922, from German Transvestit (1910), coined from Latin trans "across, beyond" (see trans-) + vestire "to dress, to clothe" (from PIE *wes- (2) "to clothe," extended form of root *eu- "to dress").

It seems that the basic meaning is "cross dresser", all done up in Latin roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaiden View Post
    ... boat building? Cool! Put some boat building stuff in the Lounge section.
    Will do, especially once I hit the 10-post threshold and have a bit more freedom. But as a preview, I'm typically drawing and building "pond boats", aka, car-toppable, beach-launchable, fly-casting platforms meant for protected water that put at least 81" on the waterline --hence, have theoretical hull speed under oars of 4 MPH-- and bringing them at 5lb and $20 per foot.

If you'll be attending this Jan's Portland Boat Show, there'll be two of mine on display.

Arindam

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I prefer the term Crossdresser and I don't consider myself to be transgender.

Airindam, that sounds a lot like where I am with it right now.
    It’s a thing I do, which mean it’s part of who I am, but it’s not all of who I am

But it’s becoming a bigger part