Thread: The day finally arrived to talk to our local newspaper

The day finally arrived to talk to our local newspaper

It seams such a long time has passed since Isabelle in the coffee shop I go to asked me if I would like to chat with a reporter from our local newspaper, I said yes, took the calling card and put it safely in my handbag. What followed was lots of thinking and soul searching. Do I want to do this?, what happens if what I say comes out all wrong in the paper and thus an opportunity to focus attention on the very great need for people to completely accept us for what we are, no matter what, and a whole host of other thoughts. All of this was back last August or thereabouts. Around October I finally decided to go ahead with the interview but a whole pile of things got in the way, days the reporter was unavailable and like wise for me. Then Christmas got in the way and finally a few days ago the reporter met me in my coffee shop. Over the next hour and a half I was able to tell her all of the why's and the what's of why all of us are like we are. It transpired she had no idea that it was not a choice on the spur of the moment to dress, to transition or by gay or bi or anything else. I was able to give her the medical facts for the reasons behind us all. The reporter told me on the ouitset of our talk that she knew about the LGBT movement and I was able to impress upon her the very need to get this absolutely right so that people get the right impression of us all.
    After the reporter left a feeling of comfort spread over me, knowing I had done my bit to make people aware of us correctly and properly.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    Wow a lot of weight on your shoulders with that one. Hope the reporter gets it across as you presented it. Thanks for being a voice for all of us.

Hi Bobbi, I am very proud of you stepping up to do this. Knowing you since I arrived here I know you are certainly one of us to handle it and do it right.
    When the article comes out we would love to hear your take on it as I know it will be in French. Two thumbs up my friend!
    Crissy

Hi Jolene, yes it was in a way seeing as how the newspapers get so much so very wrong and never give it out as it was meant to be. I agonised over doing it for, as i said in my thread for a long time. And then I thought what have I got to lose, i live alone and so many people know of and about me already that i thought yes this is the right thing to do, speak up for all of us everywhere.
    Crissy, Thanks for the thumbs up, just this afternoon I found out that the article has been published and as soon as I can visit the newspaper offices I will get hold of a copy and do the best I can translating the French!! and tell you all what I said and was said

Congratulations Bobbi. That is wonderful what you have done. It will help a lot of people who have little experience seeing and interfacing with us. Thank you!

I have done 5 interviews with a Columbia University graduate study team over the last 4 years about being transgender and the last one this week about drug and alcohol use among transgender people. I was a lot of fun telling my story by answering their interview questions and telling the complete and intimate truth about being me. The general population needs to understand us better and every little effort made by each of us can help future generations.

Thank's Allie, It took a lot of guts from me to go ahead but now Ihave done it I feel good for doing it, When I get hold of the newspaper, knowing what google translate is like some of it might get lost and will need a bit of tweaking to sort out any glitches, but as soon as i can i will post the whole article for you all to read

Good for you, Bobbi! Can't wait for the translation! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Well done Bobbi, very courageous!
    The most common form of despair is not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

Thank you Bobbi for stepping up and representing our community. I'm sure its going to be a great article, looking so forward to reading it.

Looking forward to your translation (as well as the comparison of what you said to what got reported).
    So many new things to learn

Bobbi, Good for you standing up for all of us. Can't wait to read.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

It looks like I might have some time today to get hold of a copy of the newspaper, I will do my very best to tell you all as soon as possible

Platinum Member
    Glad you took the time to walk this, i am guessing young, reporter through the complexities and realities of gender expression. I hope she took good notes.

This was a very brave thing you have done, but don't be surprised if they get it horribly wrong. Unfortunately, I have been badly burned by reporters on far less controversial topics, so I'm not optimistic at the potential outcome.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

kimdl93, the reporter was a women and I would guess about 55 -60 yrs old, she was well aquanted with aspects of the LGBT movement so a good outcome should result
    Donnalee, I did point out to the reporter the importance of getting right what I told her because of problems after, she seemed to take this on board so as soon as I can get hold of a copy of the paper I can post the article here for you all.