Thread: David Bowie as inspiration for my crossdressing

David Bowie as inspiration for my crossdressing

Recently I?ve been reading this huge book about all songs of David Bowie. There are great pictures of him in it too, also when he is wearing a dress at the time of Hunky Dory. The older girls here will probably remember the clip of ?Boys? in which Bowie played three women. For me, David Bowie has always been an inspiration to be whoever I wanted to be, which in my case meant that I wanted to wear dresses and skirts. That is why David Bowie stays my favourite artist for my Fiona de Wilde-project. I am all the girls in the clip. It is always a great pleasure to share it here with you.
    Love, Fiona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4tayrrINk

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    Hi Fiona, Love you videos and your musician ship wow!!! Yes David was a pioneer and inspiration with a lot of help from his wife.

Platinum Member
    Yes, to the extent that he and a few other performers were overtly bending gender presentations.

In my early life I had recurring fantasies of being able to present myself as a woman, but until I saw people doing in real life, I had not allowed myself to imagine that it was posssible.

Aspiring Member
    I saw Bowie live in 1974. Great show. I remember him on SNL singing TDC-15, wearing what looked like a British Army dress from WW II.

David Bowie was an inspiration particularly his ziggy stardust days . So were Marc Bolan T Rex and the glam rockers from that era. Long before the New Romantics of the 1980s.

I expect it will seem like heresy for me to say this, but when I see a picture of David Bowie all made up, I am repulsed. The odd thing is that I don't feel that way when I see or meet someone who presents as female, even though all of my "trans radar" is blaring away. It's like I want people to present as male or female, but a cisgender male in makeup, etc., not trying to present as female, sets something off inside me. To elaborate, when I encounter someone like a woman with an Adam's apple and a deep voice, my reaction is "You go, girl!", but David Bowie and Boy George don't inspire that kind of reaction. (FWIW, I do enjoy Bowie's music -- a lot!) What is wrong with me, I suppose?
    Nancy
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -- John Irving

I admire David Bowie's music...always so innovative, at the cutting edge his entire career. Stylistically, I find I am attracted, just the opposite reaction to Nancy. To be perfectly honest I can't get my eyes off him - and not just his Ziggy Stardust persona. He fascinates me, almost like he goes somewhere I wanted to, but never dared...

I’m old enough that Glam rock and hair metal are big influences.

Quote Originally Posted by nancy58 View Post
    I expect it will seem like heresy for me to say this, but when I see a picture of David Bowie all made up, I am repulsed. The odd thing is that I don't feel that way when I see or meet someone who presents as female, even though all of my "trans radar" is blaring away. It's like I want people to present as male or female, but a cisgender male in makeup, etc., not trying to present as female, sets something off inside me. To elaborate, when I encounter someone like a woman with an Adam's apple and a deep voice, my reaction is "You go, girl!", but David Bowie and Boy George don't inspire that kind of reaction. (FWIW, I do enjoy Bowie's music -- a lot!) What is wrong with me, I suppose?
    I totally agree! I was gona shorten your post for my reply but it all mirrors what I feel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

My username on this channel is Julia Bowie, with the Bowie selected for no other reason than being a lifelong fan of Bowie. Bowie has been a sort of distant friend all of my life as I have listened to his music for more than 45 years. When he died it was one of saddest days of my life, and as though I lost a close friend or family member. It's funny in a way because when I was younger I used to see images on TV of people weeping their hearts out when Lennon died and I thought to myself, what's all the fuss about.

I could rabbit away about Bowie all day! So, when I saw your post with DB in the title my ears pricked up. Back in the 70s he was a real role model for many crossdressers and transgender people [eg; Boy George], and in typical Bowie style he was brave enough to put his career on the line by publicly announcing that he was bisexual and flaunting with androgynous clothing and behaviour.

I'd be interest which book you've been reading, since I've read them all! Incidentally, one of the best books on Bowie I read recently was by the Spiders drummer Woody called "Spider from Mars" - it gave a good insight into Bowie from someone who worked closely with him. Visconti's auto-biography also gives insights into Bowie, although his book deals with others aspects of Visconti's life too.

I recently watched this video by his wife, and I liked it because it gave an insight into the secretive man that was Bowie:

https://youtu.be/fk9cq3gRCP0

Yes, Bowie was truly unique and sadly missed.

Hi Julia, it is a book about all 456 songs that Bowie had recorded. It is in dutch (I live in Holland) but this is the English edition:

https://www.amazon.com/David-Bowie-A...s%2C166&sr=8-1

F

Fiona, thanks for the link. Looks like the book is not long out and also see it on Amazon-UK. A few years back there was an exhibition of Bowie's costumes at the British Victoria & Albert museum in London. They produced a book entitled "David Bowie IS", which has some excellent photographs. There are also sections written by various staff at the V&A, but I find these crap and almost written by people who don't know what they're talking about - however, the photographs of Bowie and his key outfits are very good.

Take care.

Fiona, good for you, like others here neither David Bowie or Boy George turn me on but then we are of a different regime.

I like the idea of your project though as new ideas do help spur on our movement.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Hey Fiona, you totally rock girl!

Really enjoyed your cover. Your musicianship is superb- but can't you let go a little with the physical side? I want to see you do with the rest of your body what your lovely fingers do with those strings.

A big hug.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Fiona a totally great video!!! My favorite Bowie song is rebel rebel. Reminds me when I would skip school and dress up
    Btw I love the Marshall amps. I always wanted one
    Huggs
    Last edited by Richelle423; 02-02-2022 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to add comment

I really wanted to like his music a lot more than I did. I had a couple of his albums but his feminine style really did not do anything for me.

I never owned a Marshal Amp back then but had to settle for a couple Fender Band Masters. Went with my old Fender Telecaster. Wish I still owned those.