Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much money?

How much money?

Is crossdressing one of the biggest part of your spending? What is your budget? This must of course depend on your financial resources. I ask the question for those who crossdress occasionally and not those who live fully as a woman. Having to buy men's clothes plus women's clothes quickly becomes very expensive. Crossdressing can be a very expensive "hobby" especially when like me, you easily fall for that cute little top or that classy dress... I have so much more female clothes than male Shopping on the internet is really a blessing when you think about it. Not only does this avoid the difficult task of going to the store and the prices are also more affordable (but maybe the adventure is less exciting). I have been buying my own clothes for about 5 years now, almost exclusively on the internet, so I can find all my orders quite easily. I spent almost 2500 euros (about 2900 dollars). Taking into account the fact that I had to buy all the basic elements for a good transformation and building a complete wardrobe (basic lingerie and pantyhose, basic little black dress, denim skirt, t-shirts, comfy shoes, various makeup and wigs, a lot of accessories, etc.), I don't know if this is reasonable or if I'm a shopaholic but I'm not gonna stop

How much money do you think you spent for your need to dress as a woman? Can you wear the same clothes your whole life or do you need something new on a regular basis?

Aspiring Member
    I do not budget a large chunk of money to shopping, however it is not a cheap endevour. I spend around $1000 a year.
    I have 50/50ish wardrobe.
    Sara

Banned Read only
    don't keep outfits for very long, as I don't have many viable storage options. So, I buy a new outfit once a month, on average, and toss an older outfit that I'm not crazy about. One in/one out. I tend to shop at fast fashion shops, so it's easy to buy tops/dresses/jeans for under US$50 a piece. Not very expensive at all. I have three pairs of shoes and two pairs of boots. Again, limited storage. Two purses.

So, let's say that at any given moment I can have $400 in clothes, $600 in shoes, and $500 in purses. Add $200 for two wigs, $150 in shapewear, $300 for breastplate, and $150 in assorted undergarments. I buy inexpensive pharmacy makeup, so I have right around $100 in makeup. Another $100 for miscellaneous stuff, hose, makeup wipes, etc. That's right around $2,500.

I been buying my femme stuff with cash given to me for odd jobs I have done. Rebuild a smoker on a trailer. Cash money. Tear out old bathroom install new tub. Cash money. Vendor gives me gift card for Christmas. All money that isn't part of the family budget. I then buy a gift card and buy stuff online. This is what you have to do when your SO is in the DADT club. It was working great till I went to buy myself a pair of black pumps. I needed a few dollars more than I had. I used my bank card to make the difference. My wife saw the transaction so I was busted. I had to come out with her but she just checked into the DADT club.

I bought my first CD accoutrements this past August, outfitting myself as best I could with about $1000. I had put aside for unspecified purposes. That much got me "started" pretty well. Going forward, I am not thinking so much about budget, but if I have the money to spend on an item without becoming totally broke, I will do it. I am trying to use thrift store resources as best I can, but some of the stuff I see on Amazon and elsewhere is so inviting, I have a loaded cart. I could easily burn through my reserve right now, but then I'd be broke. So I'm trying to be responsible, but it's not easy. I also make sure I do not spend any "family" money or run up the charge account, so that keeps me in check as well. This is not a cheap sport, although I've heard golf is worse.

Yes I have been spending a LOT the last few years. Outings that require hotel says on top of everything else really add up. I almost hate to say how much.

Sandi

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    Good question Alice, I don't have a budget per-say but sometimes spend more than I should considering no more often than I go out. I have a lot more "girl" clothes than guy clothes for sure. I am also a musician with a studio as well so when comparing the cost it's not even close. I have guitars an microphones that run 5K each so dressing takes away from some of those purchases and goes to clothes and other items. But it's not a cheap hobby if you really get into it. If I traveled more and had to pay for accommodations then it would run up in a hurry. I would guess I spent around 2K last year, not to bad, it keeps me balanced and my wife doesn't mind and even helps.

Well after reading what others have spent, I feel cheap!
    I purches all of my fem clothes from thrift stores (example) a pair of 2 in heels for $4.00.
    I spend only about $200.00 a year. Being retired and on a fixed income one must be a little careful.

Banned Read only
    Sara, We all work with what we have. Thrift stores have some amazing finds.

I don't have this kind of thrift stores in my area. It could save my bank account.
    In the end the important thing is not the number of dresses in the wardrobe but to always have one in which you feel good.

One has to cut ones cloth accordingly and live within their means . When I was younger and single I spent a fortune on clothes and a fitted wig.Now as others have pointed out the thrift or charity store is the solution. Dresses a few UK pounds sometimes donated new. A fibre wig can be purchased for ?30 instead of a fitted one for ?200 plus.Market stalls and chain stores are also cheaper alternatives.Less can sometimes be more.Priorities and circumstances change.Be versatile and adapt.As I have got older I am less likely to be the kid in the candy store I used to be. But a bit of fem self indulgence even if only once in a while is good for the soul.

I haven't kept track of what I've spent not do I budget for my clothes. However, a rough recap would indicate in the past 20 months (when I began crossdressing) I've spent close to $1,000.00 on everything. I'm basically a Walmart and Amazon shopper to keep my spending under control. I'm fortunate that I don't need to watch ALL my pennies; but, I am also somewhat of a frugal person and don't care to waste my money. Probably the only thing I spend an equal, or greater, amount on is playing golf. I have no other hobbies, I don't drink, gamble, or smoke; so, there isn't much left to spend money on. I don't consider our dog a hobby. He's my buddy and never has an issue seeing me fully dressed. My wife and I don't go out a lot. We eat at a restaurant maybe once/week and simply don't go to movies. My wife's hobby is quilting and I'm certain she out spends me buying fabric; but, she enjoys it and is quite proficient/good at it.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Aspiring Member
    I don't spend a huge amount, to be honest, and I couldn't put a figure on it either.
    I tend to look for reduced price items in stores, but I also by used items on eBay. I have some quite expensive dresses that I got for ridiculously cheap prices on eBay, and most of them were in almost perfect condition.

If you are as small as I am in the USA it is much cheaper to buy women's clothes. I weigh 52kg or 115lbs. 160 cm height.
    It is very hard to find men's clothes that small. Only a few online stores. And the men's clothes I bought never fit all that well no matter how much I paid. Sleeves too long.

Cute Small/XS clothes are very cheap on ebay and on sales racks as 95% of women are too big to wear them!
    I look pretty good as I've learned how to locate brands/sizes that fit me. I learn a lot about sizing through Ebay.

I bought a couple of cute dresses on ebay and only one fit oddly. If I had the time I could lengthen the darts to make it properly fitted.
    I don't have any place to wear them so this is just like crossdressing. But they are cheap and fun! $100 was enough to buy five dresses!

Marion
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 02-04-2022 at 06:11 PM.

A good post! I fully take onboard your comment about buying 2 sets of clothes. I find men's clothes so dull and drab that they are purely functional in my mind and as a result don't spend much on my male drab. However, when it comes to my female clothes I'm much more a shopaholic like yourself and if there's something that catches my eye then I tend to splash out.

Also like yourself I tend to buy all my clothes and accessories online - it's the modern way. Also, let's not forget that a shop has a fixed range whereas the likes of eBay has an effectively infinite range of products. I always think the best example of this is bottles of wine - a local wine store (if you can still find one) may stock 100 different bottles, where an online supplier can supply thousands of different wines.

I dislike Amazon and make a poimt of avoiding it. I find their stuff is trash. In the early days they used to be good but now infected with cheap foreign muck. I like eBay not only because it's online but they actually serve a really good role in getting people to recycle clothes and goods. I have purchased Phase Eight dresses (which I have a thing for) off eBay for ?15 and they come with the original tags marked at ?199 - I kid you not!

If you can afford it - what the hell it's only money and money was invented and designed to be spent. It's what keeps the world revolving. I suppose in an ideal world you'd have a monthly clothing budget which incidentally many women do. Which leads onto the point that many women don't have a problem allocating ?X/month on clothing. Women like to look good and understand that to look good costs money. I've worked in offices all my working life and seen some really well presented women, who clearly make a point of spending a given percentage of their monthly income on clothes and accessories. Whereas, many men can be a bit tight when it comes to spending money on clothes and on themselves. They won't think twice about spending ?10,000 on a new mororbike but be stingy when it comes to buying clothes and pampering themselves.

Listen to me rabbiting on! I could talk the hind legs off a donkey! It's because I so liked your post and thought you raised a good question that I've thought about many a time over the years I've been crossdressing.

Well, take care and have a nice weekend.

Now that I am rediscovering Kerri, I believe I am spending 3 or times what I spent in the past. And still have hopes of finding the perfect set of heels like the ones I purged 15 years ago

Gold Member
    I try not to go too nuts. Maybe about $ 600.00 a year

Banned Read only
    No budget. My wife and I are blowing our kids inheritance. My wife spends more money on fabric than I do on fem garments. With my wife fully retired and Covid-19 curtailing much of anything my buying has been directed towards nightgowns and panties. Since the beginning of last year I bought 25+ nightgowns.

I think this whole attitude of buying buying buying speaks partly to the [expletive] quality of the clothes available now. I have a fairly compact wardrobe of clothes that I love and that I want to wear, most of it is thrifted.

Let us also not forget the impact of all those fibres made of spun plastic, bought en masse and worn a few times - what a horrendous waste. I do not think anyone can pretend, in this day and age, to not be aware of the environmental impact of unbridled consumerism.

Platinum Member
    No, its not the biggest part of my spending, but on the other hand, I would rather not contemplate the amount I have spent a significant amount of money on clothing, foundations, wigs, breast forms, hip pads, and make up over the years.

I don?t spend much. I shop at Target, some thrift stores, and on line. If I was going out, and often, I?d be interested in the higher end clothes. But I wear Jockey panties and the dresses and skirts are just for me at home. Spending more wouldn?t make me happier.

I have no idea how much I've spent over the years but given how well I've built up my lingerie wardrobe I don't spend much per year anymore, and since 99.9% of my attire is lingerie I don't really spend for anything else anyway and I get plenty of use out of the lingerie I already have. Once in a long while something will catch my taste that I really want but otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with the wardrobe I already have and thus don't add to it very much.

I have no clue either, but 25 pairs of high heels, anywhere from $25 to $125 each, most were closer to the $25 price, but a couple pair I just had to have! A dozen dresses, about the same number of bras, panties, plus jeans and tops. I don't want to think about it! It has to be over $3,000.
    Some here have or had collections that had to of had four zeros before the decimal point!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaYVR View Post
    Let us also not forget the impact of all those fibres made of spun plastic, bought en masse and worn a few times - what a horrendous waste. I do not think anyone can pretend, in this day and age, to not be aware of the environmental impact of unbridled consumerism.
    You raise a good debate that was part of my original post but that I erased to refocus on the financial aspect. I sometimes feel guilty about it. I don't have a car, I eat organic food for the most, I obviously recycle my waste and I pay attention to my water and electricity consumption... But we all have our flaws, I'm too addicted to clothes.

Regarding the environmental impact of clothing, people wear clothes [we have to by law!] and when you have 8 billion of us there is an associated impact. And with 3 new mouths to feed and cloth being born every second around the world an environmental impact is inevitable. On the use of plastic I totally agree. When I was a child milk came in glass bottles and they couldn't do enough to go backwards in the use of non-organic materials. Many people think ocean-plastic etc is a new thing - nah. The first formally recorded piece of plastic picked out of the ocean was way back in 1965 off the coast of Ireland. Throughout my lifetime governments around the world have ignored the problem and continue to do little and take small steps to solve the issue. Next time you're at a supermarket take a good look at the shampoo, body lotions aisle and you'll see rows and rows of plastic bottles. That's being played out at every supermarket and store around the world, and none of us asked for it. As I hinted at in my post, it's one of the reasons why I like eBay in that it serves as a good source for recycling unwanted clothing.