Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skirts on parade

Skirts on parade

I wear skirts for all four seasons but during the winter I am the only one it seems. Today it was sunny and a balmy 10 degrees C and I was out in a pencil skirt (and regular 15 den stockings instead of the usual wintery 40 den tights) and imagine my surprise to see, within minutes, a woman also wearing a skirt. And then another. And so on until I lost count. In the cafe, a woman came in with a leather skirt and stilettos of all things.

Needless to say I am quite pleased to see this change in style and am hoping it stays. Has anyone else seen a shift towards skirts and dresses again other than on the three hottest days of the year? Any thoughts on reasons? Covid fatigue, just fashion turnover? Or maybe this was just a blip until July but I get a feeling that it’s not.

*please let us not sink into discussions of what women “should” be wearing. This is just about a style that is near and dear to the hearts of many of us.

Platinum Member
    Angela, its -20 F ?whatever that is C?so I barely venture out. Skirts are rare in northern MN, but i suppose because this is a very rural area with few young people.

Where I live in coastal South Carolina, I see a good number of women wearing skirts. However, those wearing skirts do tend to be younger. The older gals tend to wear either dresses or pants and a top.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

I have several nice skirts, and often wear them. If I'm not in a skirt, then I'm generally in jeans.
    If I go out in public in a dress, I often feel over-dressed compared to most of the GGs around, so I save the dresses for when I'm among friends who know about me. I plan on going to the cinema one evening soon, and will wear a nice dress then.

I certainly hope that it's a trend. Skirts and dresses are my favorite things to wear, and as a relatively new CDer I'd hate to think they are becoming passe. I just got here!

When I make my weekly trip into the big city (Leeds) , I notice that it is about 50/50 split of women wearing skirts. That changes at my ballet class, where most of the ladies wear skirts as outdoor clothing, over their dance leggings/tights. I should say that as part of the dance academy's covid rules, we are not allowed access to the changing rooms.

Aspiring Member
    Actually, C is an easier to understand system than F.

0 to 10 is cold. Wool skirts with leggings to tights, boots and jacket.
    10 to 20 is cool. Longer skirts with tights of varying thickness, booties or shoes.
    20 to 30 is warm. Any skirt, no tights, open shoes.
    30 and above is hot. Mini skirt weather. Sandals only.

-10 to 0 is frosty. Leggings with sweater tunic, boots, and coat.
    Below -10 is just plain frigid. Heavily lined leggings down to snow pants.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I wish I saw more down in SoCal. We have no weather issues here. And, no inhibitions either, apparently? Judging by the number of women showing off their behinds in black tities!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have noticed a lot of skirt wearing recently. I did a weekly shopping last week at the supermarket and noticed at least 50% of the ladies were wearing skirts, not just young ones, but all ages. It's pretty cold in Scotland just now with lots of rain and some snow, so they are usually accompanied with high denier tights. The shops seem to have many styles of skirts on the racks also. I'm with you, hoping this fashion continues for a long time, and as the seasons change.

Quote Originally Posted by abby054 View Post
    Actually, C is an easier to understand system than F.

0 to 10 is cold. Wool skirts with leggings to tights, boots and jacket.
    10 to 20 is cool. Longer skirts with tights of varying thickness, booties or shoes.
    20 to 30 is warm. Any skirt, no tights, open shoes.
    30 and above is hot. Mini skirt weather. Sandals only.

-10 to 0 is frosty. Leggings with sweater tunic, boots, and coat.
    Below -10 is just plain frigid. Heavily lined leggings down to snow pants.
    Abby- that was the best description of Celsius I have ever seen!!!! Xxxooxx

No such trend happening here in Pittsburgh!

Aspiring Member
    I think I was the only one out wearing a skirt (and black tights) here in SE PA this morning. A light snow overnight, but not too cold this morning.

I'm in DC and given the frigid temperatures of late, not a skirt or dress has been seen. Angela, great for you starting a trend where you are.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Hi Angela, nice to hear that Van girls are in their skirts, but honey, this is northern Alberta, is still kind of tough to get in the truck with a skirt and winter boots on. I hate winter

My wife wore a skirt to work one or two days this week but the younger women seem to prefer leggings for this weather - not that I mind, as leggings are about equal to skirts in my hierarchy of dress.
    So many new things to learn

I love my skirts no matter the season. The only difference is in the summer when I have my tan I go bare legged. The rest of the year it's stockings all the time.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Angela, great for you starting a trend where you are.
    I would love to take credit but I think the sunshine was the more persuasive factor!

I also enjoyed the little detour into the Celsius guide for the skirt wearing crowd. I have done -10 with boots and 60 den tights and it was very invigorating.

I work at a large university. The college girls really love their tights/leggings and skinny jeans in the winter. The more fashion-forward of them will pair a skirt with them sometimes, but quick and casual rules. Spring is coming, though, with its promise of bare legs beneath skirts and shorts!

Shoes glorious shoes rachellegsep's Avatar
    In summer here with temps between 26 and 34 C. The last 2 weeks I have never seen so many women wearing dresses in a long time. Makes a pleasant change from the usual leggings, yoga pants and jeans.
    In search of muliebrity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silver Member
    I too am in a skirt and heels twelve months a year. The only thing that stops me is the fact that my wife refuses to be in public with me while I'm dressed. Also my job is somewhat dirty, so skirts are impractical. But I am always in a skirt going to and from work. At 6:30 am it's a bit chilly on my knees, but the afternoons feel like my reward for being good.

Unlike you, I'm not seeing anyone wearing a dress or skirt. It's just me. Oh well. But I do hope you're seeing a trend that is on the increase.

If the axiom "Follow the money" is to be believed then if you look at online retailers then the number of dresses and skirts for sale out numbers the number of trouser/leggings.

If no-one was buying them they wouldn't be there so perhaps, a bit like us, they're hiding I plain sight.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Personally, i almost always wear a skirt or dress when out in public as Barbara..... no matter what the weather
    In cold weather, I just wear maixi skirts with usually black panty hose
    BTW, I hate "leggings". To me, they are just a type of stretch pants.

I sometimes even get a few compliments on my skirts from females and some approving smiles from some older males.

IMO, females in general are "slaves" to fashion trends and peer pressure.
    So, I believe that if some ladies do indeed want to go back to skirts and dresses at times to be more feminine, it will be a gradual thing as most will wait and see what other ladies are wearing .
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 02-14-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    If no-one was buying them they wouldn't be there so perhaps, a bit like us, they're hiding I plain sight.
    Sadly, I know far too many women who will collect or buy many clothes that never get worn. This is an issue with some on this site as well. I once talked with a woman at a bar who told me she buys fancy dresses, has never once worn one out, she just enjoys the thrill of finding a bargain. She owned over 60.

Aspiring Member
    I understand the thrill of getting a bargain on a dress. As a result, I have more than I can wear. It can get addictive and expensive.

It's only very recently that I've tried wearing dresses, and the experience, I must admit, has brought my interest to a much higher level. Previously my CD wardrobe was limited to jeans, tops, shoes, jackets and sweaters.
    So far, I've purchased a few dresses that are fairly modest in color and design, just so I can get the feel of this type of garment. A couple of them are fairly plain denim with a belted waist that would easily blend out in public without drawing very much attention.
    I do find them to be comfortable and attractive, and (no surprise) I'm enjoying this next phase in my journey!