Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting other crossdressers

Spotting other crossdressers

I was travelling down to the coast near where I live a few days ago. No, male mode that day and a planned 10 mile walk along at times a rough cliff top isn't a great plan for en femme and in heels.

Two what appeared to be two fairly slim, tall ladies got on my train. Me being me, I looked.

Then the penny dropped. They'd marginally overdone their make-up and consequently gave themselves away to other passengers as crossdressers as was clear from the stares from one.

Fair enough they didn't say anything and just left them be.

But lesson of the day with make-up is if you want to pass, be more subtle with the make-up. If they'd toned it down, they'd have passed.

Sue

First off, great to see/hear that you spotted other crossdressers in your area; I think it's wonderful that there are courageous girls out there who willing to go out in public.

Secondly, you said a mouthful. Subtlety with makeup is a much-vaunted skill and something that I know I have to work on, because sometimes it's soooo much easier to lather it on and overdo it. Thanks for the reminder, Sue!

Platinum Member
    Astute observation. I think the experienced blender wisely chooses attire and makeup that are a bit understated. To paraphrase the old saying I would rather tone it down than glam up and remove all doubt!

That being said, of course there are times and places when its just plain and entirely appropriate (and fun) to go over the top in both clothes and makeup!

As a rule, I don't look to see if they are CDers.
    Sue, Glad you were being observant, more than I.
    I know of two CDer here in my area that work in femme as sales reps in a store.
    They might have been "working girls, i.e. actresses/models" off to, or returning from a work site." and yes a few CDers are working models.
    I would love to get a few in front of my camera.
    Tomorrow, I have a shoot scheduled with some DQs, so I know a bit about excess makeup.

Being subtle and blending is overrated. I think maybe they wanted to stand out and nothing wrong with that!

To notice marginally overdone makeup says that you were looking intently anyway. Which means the jig would have been up no matter what. Like many of us, I am tall. I have tailored my makeup for daytime but I am 6' plus the heels and in a skirt or dress. People will notice me whether I have the most subtle or full Drag Race look and you know what, I don't mind! My goal is not to convince anyone I'm a genetic woman, my goal is for me to enjoy my life. I'm going to assume two CDs getting on a train together have also mastered the art of not giving a hoot.

Banned Read only
    Your observations remind me of a guy who bought an orange Subaru because he wanted something different. Except that he soon realized there are tons of orange Subarus around. He had never sought them out before.

Enough is as good as a feast. If going out in the day I now deliberately don't spend too much time doing my makeup. You can keep layering it on and still find fault so I try to keep it toned down sufficiently to cover the most obvious things such as beard.

Well at least you seen some, my wife commented a while ago if I decided to go out dressed that I would be the only one she would have seen. She said either we all blend in or we just don't notice them. She asked where is your community hiding,
    I believe if I went out in public I would probably overdue everything and look like a clown and stand out. Practice makes perfect and maybe the ones you seen they were still learning but good to hear that we are out there.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Enough is as good as a feast.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackem Sue View Post
    Then the penny dropped. They'd marginally overdone their make-up and consequently gave themselves away to other passengers as crossdressers as was clear from the stares from one.
    I think I know the ladies in question. Lol.

0779D67C-0CF9-478F-BD06-7FFC617201CF.jpg
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Do u really think "subdued make up" is the key to passing, Sue?

That less makeup makes a man look like a woman?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Perhaps not, but certainly less attention grabbing, and more capable of blending. Unless standing out is your goal, less can be more.

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    I think I know the ladies in question. Lol.

0779D67C-0CF9-478F-BD06-7FFC617201CF.jpg
    No, not Little Britain-style. 😀 Clothes, hair, just about right.

Make-up slapped on with trowel.

Sue

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Do u really think "subdued make up" is the key to passing, Sue?

That less makeup makes a man look like a woman?
    See previous answer.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaYVR View Post
    To notice marginally My goal is not to convince anyone I'm a genetic woman, my goal is for me to enjoy my life.
    Well said Angela. And, moreover, it's an entirely realizable goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Mary S View Post
    As a rule, I don't look to see if they are CDers.
    Sue, Glad you were being observant, more than I.
    I know of two CDer here in my area that work in femme as sales reps in a store.
    They might have been "working girls, i.e. actresses/models" off to, or returning from a work site." and yes a few CDers are working models.
    I would love to get a few in front of my camera.
    Tomorrow, I have a shoot scheduled with some DQs, so I know a bit about excess makeup.
    All fair comment, notably the bit where you don't go out to see if they're CD'ers. I didn't look to see if they were CD'ers and at first I didn't think they were. I'm still a man at the end of the day and shapely women make me at the very least glance in their direction.

The overkill on the make-up just made me and another passenger pay more attention that usual.

I'll add at another stop, a woman pushed her severely disabled sister on the train on a wheelchair. The latter event was an object lesson on things that really mattered.

Sue.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Recognised many crossdressers over the years. All you can do is allow them to continue and enjoy what they have. Always brings an inward smile though.

It is interesting that you can tie this thread to the one about FaceApp. In the real world, we do what we can - there is no magic to present a perfect visage.

Shoes glorious shoes rachellegsep's Avatar
    There are other tell tale signs eg prominent chins and adams apple (a necklace / cleavage moves the view downwards), large hands, walking, posture, mannerisms and voice. I think women will pick up on these a lot quicker than men.
    In search of muliebrity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The signs that jump out to me that someone is a Crossdresser are gait/posture (head jutted forward), walking like a man but wearing women"s clothes, unnatural looking hair (usually due to the type of wig), overdressed for the venue, and makeup that is overdone.

There are a few more things that are secondary but usually would require a closer look. The casual shopper is not going to search out details.

Banned Read only
    Char,
    Gait and posture are everything. Unnatural looking hair including an abundance of hair that does not compute with the person's apparent age and the dreaded helmet head caused by wearing the hairline so low that it eliminates any trace of a forehead. (PSA: Most cis women have glorious foreheads). And, yes, the reliable over dressing and over makeuping, especially in the USA where most middle aged cis women dress like they rolled out of bed ten minutes before hitting Walmart.

Banned Read only
    The first time I spotted cross dressers was in San Francisco in the 1970's. I was with a group of fellow trainees in a restaurant. Two attractively dressed ladies stood up to leave. What really drew my attention was their height. That caused me to look closer. Nobody else in the restaurant gave them a second look. Perhaps the locals were totally use to cross dressers, and, my mind's eye was subconsciously searching. In my small city I have seen one cross dresser twice, and, it was obvious to me she was an exhibitionist. The second was so hirsute she looked like a bear. No attempt to adopt female mannerisms. I figured, at least, they had the guts to get out there in stores. With my six foot height my comfort zone is an evening stroll in dress and heels, etc in a safe residential neighborhood.

Aspiring Member
    In my last city is was well known that CDs would gather to grocery shop at a local groceey store sunday morning. Definitely could spot several cds but im sure more just blended in. There was also a cd happy hours night at a local bar/restaurant. Definitely xould spot several cds but im.sure many more just blended in.

There are a couple of CDers locally who look absolutely dreadful. Stubbly beards shocking makeup and one totters round the town in a short fake leather skirt and fishnets. They attract lots of weird looks.

Yes except that is not making any effort, merely a spectacle. Nobody is going to debate subtlety in that example.