Thread: An instructive encounter

An instructive encounter

I had stopped at one of the thrift shop outlet stores, where they sell everything by the pound. I was in drab.

Found a couple of pair of shoes but I always like to try them on. Now, I'm not afraid to be seen buying or taking anything into a dressing room to try it on, but I exercise discretion and try not to upset the muggles, especially those with kids. The outlets don't have dressing rooms, though some of them have a mirror on the wall where you can hold something up to yourself and look at it.

This particular outlet does not sell furniture and the only place to sit down is a concrete step that leads to a fire exit door. There was a lady seated there for the longest time, looking at her mobile phone. I had shopped the rest of the store, and she was still there. So finally I went over and asked if she'd mind to share the step with me. I half-turned away, tried on a pair of heels, and took a few steps to the side and back. When I sat back down, she asked "How do they fit?" I thought to myself "uh oh, here it comes." I said that they were a little tight and I wasn't sure if they were keepers. She asked if they were for me, and I said "well . . . they're for my alter ego." She asked how much experience "my alter ego" had with wearing heels. I replied that I had some, mostly in shorter, block heels, not spikes like these were (I think they are 4 inch). Well, this kind stranger told me that she wears heels a lot, and is a full-figure model on the side. She took the time to give me a 15-minute lesson in how to walk in them (short steps, put toe down before heel, go sideways down steps to avoid scuffing the heels, etc.) and how to pad them to alleviate pressure points. I was just overwhelmed by her acceptance, openness, and willingness to share with a total stranger.

Just goes to show, you never know about people.

p.s. I bought the shoes.

Sounds like you made a new friend

That was a lovely experience.

What a great experience.

So, " and how to pad them to alleviate pressure points." We need details!

I've done the sideways down steps maneuver, but not the toe down before the heel. I'm learning something every day!

A brilliant experience and good advice.

Sounds like a great experience.
    So many new things to learn

I hear the toe before heel, but I have yet to see one woman walking that way, runway models, YouTube or in person.

Truly a golden experience, Bobbi. If everyone could help one another instead of criticizing, this world would be better for it.
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumped View Post
    I hear the toe before heel, but I have yet to see one woman walking that way, runway models, YouTube or in person.
    I think it would be difficult to walk comfortably, or for that matter falling over, if one came down spike heel first. I think Youtube tutorials may be a little exaggerated. Perhaps, women come down flat footed, as heel and toe down at the same time. I'll have to concentrate on Vanna White's strut tonight rather than her dress.