Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing dressed

Playing dressed

My friends son asked if I could play with them Friday night because there other guitarist wasn't around. Trust me I'm not a great guitar player and I don't criticize any form of music but they are a heavy metal band and there literary 3 power chords in every song. I helped them out once before but there so much younger and the environment is crazy in those places and I just felt out of place. I told him I would let him know but if they could find someone else. My wife asking why I don't want to go and help them out, I'm surprised she was even asking that question last time I played with them my wife came to watch she had to leave after the first song because she was getting shoved and grabbed and punched. My wife asked why not take this opportunity to dress up after all the others dress crazy. She pointed out that my friends son last time was wearing a long leather skirt and big black boots, and the bass player was definitely wearing leggings with a women's heel ankle boot and the other guitarist had ripped silk pants and was wearing some form of tights or pantyhose showing where the ripes were and they all wear purple lipstick. She said this would be a perfect opportunity to wear some sleazy things like my short black dress with stockings showing and my long black boots and I would definitely fit in dressed like that and to trust her nobody we know will be in a venue like that. Wow sounds like a dream and that's probably as far as that's going to be and I told her I don't know if that's the look the band wants. She convinced me to call and ask how they felt if I dressed like that. Sooo, I called him and explained last time I felt out of place playing with them and my wife suggested I have some fun with it and maybe dress in black maybe black leather short dress,black stockings and high boots and what he felt about it. He answered something like " that would be crazy" but he said it with excitement so I asked is that good or bad I'm not really in with there lingo. He apologized and said no that would be great the crazier the better. I told him I would let him know and again to get someone else if possible. As much as I would love to do this I don't know if I could do it, not even the thought of playing in front of all those crazy kids but to be dressed in front of my friends son and his friends and maybe my friend will come watch and who I see all the time. I'm just wondering if anyone else would do it

Maria - I'm a guitarist/singer/music educator, and have been my entire life. Both of my sons are musicians as well. They are happy when I have gone to see and hear them play, but never once have they asked me to play. I'd say you have arrived! Given the opportunity, I'd do it and enjoy!

Your wife seems to be the one to encourage you to do things that you really want to do but hold back. So just try it! If you find that it isn't for you, don't do it a second time.

Maria, sounds like a great opportunity to combine two passions. I'd go for it.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Wow, that does sound **CRAZY** in the best possible way! Let your hair down and rock it. Oh , and wear hearing protection.
    Last edited by Jane P; 02-27-2022 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
    I don't know why , but I am .

If you decide to do it - have fun

Sounds to me like a perfect opportunity to really shake things up, but in a good way. Talk about blending! I'd say jump right in and enjoy yourself!

Banned Read only
    I'd say enjoy the moment. Doing that gig certainly would give a new meaning to "blending in." Have fun with it. I think most people would see it as you're kidding around with the younger generation. "I can be as goofy as them!" Just think of it as an outrageous Halloween costume party.

I would say, if you feel you want to do it but you are just little bit scared, then go for it. I know I would not like it at all and would not do it, but mostly because I am just not into this kind of music where people do crazy things. Also it would be distraction from playing for me. But it can be probably place where you could do literaly anything on stage, so if you feel like it is you, then why not? And yeah, your wife seems to be such a gem, so supportive!

You'll be a hero!

Go for it girl, this is a great opportunity, you will always regret it if you let it go, Fiona

Sounds like Halloween in February to me. Go for it! And take pictures!!!
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Do it! I've always dreamed of playing on stage dressed!
    Sounds like a great opportunity!
    Julianna Frances

One thing I have learned is to never say no to crazy fun once in a lifetime chances!

Quote Originally Posted by fiona de wilde View Post
    Go for it girl, this is a great opportunity, you will always regret it if you let it go, Fiona
    100%!

When opportunity is knocking at the door, go answer the door!
    I'm Sun-Dee at Kandi's Land; read about my outings here:

https://www.kandis-land.com/author/dee/

I would do it if I could play better. Listen to your wife. Listen to the band guy. Listen to Fiona. She knows about this stuff. Wht is your friend doing at a heavy metal show if he's uptight about odd costumes anyway.

You know you want to.....
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

I can't carry a tune in a bucket; but, if I had the skills, I'd jump on this. Do it, enjoy it, and please report back here how it went. You are one lucky girl to have your wife's encouragement. If your friend is there and says anything, tell him the truth - your wife suggested you do it dressed like that.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Go for it! It is a fun excuse to dress crazy and not have any worries about acceptance. People will just think you are crazy! You don't even have to be concerned about passing!

It sounds like it could be a fun time - but if you do, be sure not to look TOO feminine!
    It sounds like the look is more of a "to hell with societal norms" attitude than a "look like a girl" one.
    OUTRAGEOUS would probably the the word to use in picking a look. Black dress, stockings and boots might be too tame - maybe?

Obviously we need pictures if you decided to do it!
    So many new things to learn

Platinum Member
    In a heartbeat. Do it, go all out!

It sounds to me like you are putting your insecurities on others. These kids are doing their own thing, trying to show their own independence from how society thinks they should act or dress. If anyone is going to be accepting, and I might even argue grateful for crossing the generational boundaries, it would be this group of people. Dress up, have fun, enjoy the fact that you get to participate being part of something young and free. You also have one thing going for you already. You won't be dressing up to be like them, you will be dressing to be you.
    Rebecca Bas

Aspiring Member
    Dressed like motley crue in their days. Cool

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Just go for it girl and I for one will be forever envious of your success.

Do it at least once for your friends sake. Forget whether you'll like it or fit in. It's just a favor for a friend so you can have an "you owe me" in the bank. If it goes well, you may have another opportunity again. If it goes poorly, you can just say it was a weak costume for the gig. Ask what would have made it a better costume.

Maybe it's like heels or a slip. Until you take the leap, you'll never know if you'll like it and the event may end up high on your regrets list.