Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd question

For the record drag is a performance art. It is meant to be over the top and outlandish. Then there are female impersonators. Often those are also drag performers but more in tune with whom they are impersonating. Don't knock drag queens or drag shows. Many times they are done to raise money for charities. I have begun preforming with a group here. It is the Emperial Royal Sovereign Court of the Desert. Yes we go out we put on a show we look and act rediculous. But we raise on average $1500 at a time. This money is going to be distributed between 4 organizations thay help the LBGTQIA community here. Becaise you don't understand something is not a reason to knock it. This group should know thay from experience. And I know the organization I am there because of can sure use the nearly 10 grand they will recieve begining of next year.

Hi everyone,

I am not an expert on Drag queens but for the last two years I have been over 30-40 drag shows in Sao Paulo. From singing challenges, to group presentations, to shows that honours iconic drags in the Brazilian history.

They are artists. As someone mentioned here, drags are as old as theatrical plays, when women weren?t allowed to perform. I believe that assumptions of their sexual orientation irrelevant and even offensive, specially in this forum, where we look to accept diversity.

I have seen many cis woman performing as drag queens and drag kings.

I leave here a some IG profiles, one of them of a theater company focused on drag if someone wishes to see some performances.

@ciacanastradeteatro
    @alexiatwister
    @gingermoondrag
    @valentin_don

A very interesting discussion. I've often pondered the difference between drag queens and CD's like me. For what its worth, I've come to the conclusion that we are very different but sometimes just look similar.

When I dress, its because I love the clothes and want to look as female as I can. I enjoy the process and, even more, I enjoy just being dressed. Still I've fantasized what it might be like to go "over the top" as some of the DQ's do. It might be fun.

OTOH, Drag Queens are primarily entertainers. As such they are playing a part. Some may chose to be really out there. Others are just trying to be pageant queens. But either way, their act is similar. Mostly designed to shock you with ribald jokes/comments. The audience is in on it.

It seems to me that CD's might go out in public dressed as a woman, but DQ's typically do not. Once the show is over, the person reverts to male.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Drag as an artform is extremely diverse in its expression. There are hyper-realistic queens like Farah Moan and Plastique Tiara, and there are more abstract artists like Juno Birch and Trixie Mattel.

Femininity is the common thread but the range of expression is limitless.

Also it's worth bringing up that a lot of times exaggerated drag makeup is similar to that of Las Vegas showgirls, designed so that those way in the back can see your features.

Actually I think 'drag' goes much farther back into time, even earlier than the Egyptians. But you are right in that it has to do with theatrics.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Platinum Member
    Hi Joanne, I think that you Nailed it, >Orchid**00**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Hi My wife watches Rupauls drag race and is always amazed that the contestants which actually look like women are usually the first ones booted off. She doesn't like the over the top parody look nor the totally plain jane look with hardly any effort put in, she prefers me to dress sexily at all times but be passable.

Drag Queen: The way a gay man expresses his femininity, often within the context of entertainment or cultural events

Cross-dresser: Most often a male with a deep psychological need to express himself as a woman by dressing and presenting as one. Sometimes the need is so great they transition as women.

Transgender Women: A women who was assigned male at birth. Often transitioning physically and culturally

Joanne, I agree with your analysis.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Duality sometimes hurts.. PetiteDuality's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    MOD HAT ON

Seriously?

Making disparaging remarks about someones sexual Preferences or
    dress always get me .
    The cd community wanting acceptance for who they are- but say such things about others never ceases to amaze me.
    If I have to edit anymore of the prejudice, unkind remarks this thread is done.
    The OP is sharing how her wife opened up and asked questions and they had a conversation to understand the dressing better and the thread turns into put downs .
    Address the OP and keep your comments about being gay, mockery of women blah blah blah out of it.

THE RULE
    Ridiculing members/non-members, or the manner in which they express themselves. This includes any complaint about the way females, males, transgendered, or any other cross-section of the membership or non members dress or the way they express themselves (such as spelling and language skills, and any mention of religious beliefs, political preferences and affiliations, sexual preference, etc.)
    Wow, I agree 100%. Are re really going to criticize the Drag Queens? Shouldn't we know better facing all the social pressure and misunderstanding we face? How would you feel if you read a post in a Drag Queen forum criticizing CDs? And comments about CDs being more hetero than drag queens? Come on!

That's a way of being part of the hate, not the love this world needs and deserves.

Sorry for my ranting, but I'm upset

Going to Drag Shows and taking photos of and for them is one of the things I like doing. They like my photos. frequently I make a few 8x10 prints of my photos and give them to them. At one location they were hung in a Rouge Galley of the performers in action.
    They are some of my good friends.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

The question itself is not so odd, as married couples are expected to talk about things, even though we live in an age in which all collected knowledge of humanity can fit in a device that can be carried in one's pocket or purse. I suppose your wife just wanted your personal take on Drag Queens.

What makes it odd is that asking a Transvestite about Drag Queens is a bit like asking a sheep farmer on how to raise cattle - they have similarities but are completely different animals.

Anyhoo, my take on DQs is that Where Crossdressers emulate, Drag Queens exaggerate; and while a Crossdressers' aim is to blend in, Drag Queens want to stand out, and while Drag Queens are almost always homosexual, Crossdressers are not.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray View Post
    Drag as an artform is extremely diverse in its expression. There are hyper-realistic queens like Farah Moan and Plastique Tiara, and there are more abstract artists like Juno Birch and Trixie Mattel.

Femininity is the common thread but the range of expression is limitless.

Also it's worth bringing up that a lot of times exaggerated drag makeup is similar to that of Las Vegas showgirls, designed so that those way in the back can see your features.
    I think these are great points.

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    Anyhoo, my take on DQs is that Where Crossdressers emulate, Drag Queens exaggerate;...
    Yet, ironically, most GG's/SO's think crossdressers are the ones who exaggerate since many dress in attire deemed wholly inappropriate by most women (i.e., "dressing to the nines" regardless of venue).

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    and while a Crossdressers' aim is to blend in, Drag Queens want to stand out,....
    Stand out? Perhaps. The major difference is that ALL drag queens are public. As far as "blending in", the vast majority of crossdressers will find it hard to "blend in" if they're never seen outside their own front door.