Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just curious? or a bag of worms.

I have a lot of friends here that I've never heard from since the first friend request.

I also have a lot of friends whom I've actually met FtF.

I also do a spring cleaning of friend that I no longer hear from, so be warned friends, spring cleaning is coming.

I've met 20 of my friends FtF.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 04-17-2022 at 04:00 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I liken it to stamp collecting.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I have a few friends on here, and I'd totally connect with more. I like the idea of making that little extra passive connection to people who you respect, admire, or are intrigued by. It might be someone who writes a really excellent perspective on something, someone who obviously has a ton of skill that I'd like to learn, folks in my region that I might bump into at a show or convention, or someone into non-cd interests like athletics. I'd DM my friends more but the site is a little clunky at times, and the last time I sent one, it wasn't totally clear that my message even sent!

I'm actually unclear at just what being a friend on this site does. I've accepted friend requests sent to me, but again I don't know what the signifies.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I believe I can help clear this up?

As I've been a member here a long time I've seen a lot of changes to the CD.com website.

Mostly they've removed features that were too hard to manage or they felt were unnecessary. Possibly at one time there were things u could do with "Friends" here that u can't anymore? U don't need to be a Friend to PM anyone here, Sandi!

But, maybe a long time Mod can explain this more fully?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sara, I know exactly what you are saying, because it happens to me all the time. I almost want to give up trying. Sometimes I get a couple of messages and than nothing. I always have to be the one to send out the first response. I think some people just disappear and so many of us are busy with two lives. and find it hard to find private time to talk about cross dressing or chatting with our cross dressing friends

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    I often send friend requests as a way of supporting new members - to let them know I appreciate them being here
    I do the same and have made some great internet contacts that way.
    Just shows support for the new folks coming here.
    I had lots on FB before getting my page taken down.
    Not sure why so I waited a month or so and created another one.
    I never really kept an eye on how many "friends" I had.
    It was a couple hundred give or take.

Sometimes life gets in the way. Work or family commitments wear you down until all you feel like doing is sitting in front of the television and zoning out. I work in a stressful environment and the last thing I want to do some nights is chit chat. We just finished a stretch of 60 hour weeks where I got up, went to work, came home, ate supper and got ready for bed. I don't mean to ignore people but I finally learned that if I don't take care of myself I am no good to anybody. Please forgive me if you are one of the friends I don't IM with a lot but I'm doing the best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I liken it to stamp collecting.
    Yeah but your stamp collection will end up in your estate sale! Where as your friends may show up at your funeral! Lol.

I'm with Jennifer, I never understood the friend option. To me the forum is like one big social network where we are already friends.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

The difference, and advantage you might say, to using the "friends" feature is that it gives you a bit of connection you might otherwise not have had. If receive a message from someone and they are among your friends it does not seem so quite out of the blue. I did more "friending" when I first began here, usually when someone said something in a post that resonated with me, or displayed one of my other than CD interests. That also goes vice versa when I send out a PM. Some may become real friends or virtual friends, and some you may not hear from for a while, but as for me I try to be more alert when I see a post from a friend. I continue to try to friend persons that make comments I can relate to or show interests we have in common... sure you could do that with anyone here, but friending give it a greater sense of familiarity. On flickr they call that "following" - and it's a bit more like that I think.

The many years here I read if not every post 99.9%. I read post and responds, you kind of get an idea of the person. If I get a nice feeling eventually, I ask to be friends. Like a lot of things here it's a wish list of the many girlfriends. (Women and friends ship is so different than men always have been jealous of that relationship)
    I have reached out to many over the years for advice.

In the fast paced world we live in coming here. I appreciated a friend request after I had made a few comments and posts. Then when I stepped in the Doodoo making a comment that was blown way out proportion. I sought council of a friend here in the forum. We all need that someone to help get through the mud sometimes.