Thread: Farmer's Tan

Reality Check

Farmer's Tan

Yep, I spent the weekend outdoors in shorts and a t-shirt. I now have a farmer's tan (red for now, nut the same thing).

Well women's short sleeved blouses and dresses typically have shorter sleeves than men's t-shirts, so they are not looking good on me today. I did find a blouse in the closet with longer short sleeves so I'm wearing it today but I'm going to have to spend some time in the sun with no shirt to even out my tan.

It's tough being a woman when you aren't one!
    Krisi

Platinum Member
    I've been wearing v-neck tee shirts and graphic tee shirts so long that my "Farmer's Tan" is now permanently baked into my skin. Same with my legs as I wear shorts the entire late spring through the early fall. The legs look weird. My granddaughter remarked how the tan on the legs is above the sock line and below the hem of the shorts.

For all of you youngsters out there, watch out for too much sun on your face. It took awhile but my face has some serious skin damage from over exposure. A cute sun hat to go with a cute sun dress will help save your youthful skin.

I used to have a really nice looking tan in years past, but like Stephanie said, it is not so great for the skin so I try to limit my exposure now. My dermatologist always says: fry now pay later.

I do hate seeing a farmer tan so when I dress to look my best, I have been putting sally hansen leg makeup on my lighter areas and it does look a lot better but can rub off. The one in the spray can seems to stay on better than the liquid stuff for some reason. It also makes the skin look a lot better, but not worth the effort for everyday wear to me.

Sandi

Hi Krisi

I wear SPF shirts and sunscreens to avoid getting a farmer's tan.

Marion

when i take our boat out i wear a tank top, love those tan lines

I have a farmer's tan; but, several days at the beach cures it. Last Tuesday's trip to the beach started the "cure." When I sat in my beach chair, my shirt came off and the legs of my swim trunk were scrunched up so high my wife commented I shouldn't let my panties show. I wanted to get sun as high up on my legs as possible. We were out for an hour and 20 minutes. My chest started to peel a slight bit today. We're less than 10 minutes to the beach and we'll be going more often over the next few weeks. As in past years, my tan will go from my toes to my hairline minus my waist down to my groin & crotch.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

I seem to have a serious and permanent case on my arms. It never fades. hence, I favor 3/4 sleeves or see-thru chiffon. I have not tried bare arms; I like the look, but too much of a tell for me.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I used to hate Sherry's pix with farmer's tan arms!
    But, not just the tan, the freckles, marks, veins, etc., too!

Hated it so much I made skin toned tites for my arms out of girl's tites!

Now, I easily hide both my horribly un fem legs AND arms with tites!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hi Krisi,
    Yep, I hate the farmer's and trucker's tan, I wear 3/4 sleeves just for that reason.
    Brenda

Anything resembling a sunny day and I reach for the sunscreen. Also I typically wear long sleeves in boy mode and subscribe to the Top Gear notion that shorts are ridiculous on men (but it is Canada so I am never in danger of melting.) I sometimes wear sleeveless dresses and have not had an awkward tan line on my arms in years.

It took me three years to get rid of mine. I pretty much use sunscreen everytime I go out in the spring/summer/fall.
    I'm Portuguese, Italian, and French. So unless it's pitch black outside, I'm tanning weather I like it or not lol

A few weekends ago I wore short Puma shorts doing yard work. When my wife seen my legs the next day she asked me why I was wearing stockings.

Krisi, I have a farmer's tan as well. For three days before I went out last Saturday night, I applied tanning cream to my upper arms. No farmer's tan for my night out.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Try being a cyclist and developing a major cycling tan. Those tan lines are killer for me!

If I'm wearing a sleeveless gown or dress and I don't want my farmers tan showing up in photos (Danielle is a strictly stay at home girl) I have found a quick brushing on of a bronzing powder can even things out and is easy to remove afterwards.

Still too early and cool for my farmer's tan to settle in. Not a deal breaker for me, though, since I wear long sleeves if going out due to my hairy forearms (which I will not shave). My trouble is my neck gets very dark, but the wig covers that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi79 View Post
    Try being a cyclist and developing a major cycling tan. Those tan lines are killer for me!
    Yeah...the dark spots on the back of your hands and fingers, along with the bigger oval on the back of your hand towards the wrist are a dead give away That and you have weird shaped lack of tanning around your eyes

I used to use some bronzer that was just about the color of my tan to cover any lighter areas on my arms. These days I try to stay out of the sun! Do not need to fight more than one cancer at a time! Lol.

I've never courted having a sun tan. In times past certainly in the UK, having a tan that lasted was usually a sign that you were wealthy enough to holiday abroad or poor enough to be doing manual work outdoors.

Add into the mix that we now know the dangers of skin cancer from too much sun and if I'm outdoors on a sunny day then I'll wear a vest top and loads of factor 50.

Vest tops do help evening out a farms tan as well as the vee we get under our chin from wearing an open necked shirt. That vee with a scoop necked femme top showing a bit of cleavage is not a good look.

There have been many posts about using slow tan lotions. It's something I do to given me a slightly tanned look in the cooler months if I'm going out enfemme. If you use daily they're also a good way to even out tan lined arms and again, don't forget your chest.

Reality Check
    Right now I'm only dressed around the house but we do have mirrors. Hopefully, I will get to even out the tan as the days and weeks go by. I'll just choose clothes with longer sleeves for now.
    Krisi

I just bought him his very first tank top for just this reason! (It's kind of cute with a skirt, too.)

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi79 View Post
    I've been wearing women's tops and shorts to try and avoid those as much as possible. They're just a little shorter sleeved and 5 inch inseam, almost not noticeable, almost. My road kits are a little less noticeable than the mountain bike baggies.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    It is very difficult. I get a fresh bottle (yes it doesn't keep well over winter) every spring and use it religiously EVERY time I'm in the sun. It's a hard battle but with lots of due diligence it's possible to avoid tan lines.

My preferred tanning technique is short tanning sessions in a cheeky style woman?s bikini bottom, then I?m careful to limit other sun exposure. A spaghetti strap tan line is tempting but I?m not there yet. I?m thinking that could cross a boundary that could could inhibit my current freedom.

As a keen cyclist and golfer, bad tan lines are a given. I now wear solar sleeves on my arms for cycling and golf, not only to reduce tan lines, but more importantly, reduce the chance of skin cancer growths, which I have had cut out of me in the past. Vanity is one thing, skin cancer is another.