Thread: Emergency bag

Emergency bag

So this is really a post for those who spend either extended time, days,weeks or are semi/ permanent full time dressers.

Have you ever given consideration to say being in a car accident, suddenly taken illn and needing to be hospitalised.

Now in the UK you're likely to be placed on a small ward with about 6-8 others of the same gender. Single occupancy rooms tend to be reserved for critically ill patients. You have only the female clothes you came in with and while this is unlikely to phase the medical staff other patients might feel differently.

So the question is, do you keep a grab bag at home with male attire in it for a friend or relative to go get for you? I know many if out dressed keep a quick change bag in the car but have you ever considered leaving one in the house?

I can see members here who have very little male clothing finding themselves asking a friend to bring them in a change of clothes opening the wardrobe and thinking, "What male clothes".

I don't know if this would apply in the US as every medical drama I see has folks in single rooms. I suspect in truth it's not quite like that.

And yes, I realise this is one of those what if questions but it has foot at least in the realities of real life.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Banned Read only
    Always a good idea to have a bag with the essentials handy in the car: jeans, shirt, sneakers, makeup removal wipes.

I always travel with a bag of drab clothes if driving enfemme and sometimes enfemme clothes when driving drab. Just in case I need to do a quick gender change.

Platinum Member
    Its always good to be prepared for contingencies.

In the US there are some hospitals that have mostly private single rooms. The majority are 2 people to a room. However while in there you are put in a hospital gown and not wearing your own clothes. Several reasons for that, such as easy access should they need it no metal or plastic which could interfere or cause harm and its not a fashion show its a hospital. Really the only time you would have on your own clothes would be coinging and going. I'm guessing it's different there as you are asking the question though.

Platinum Member
    When I got out in the evening for a leisurely drive, ending in a stroll, I always have male clothes with me. I will also have some water for drinking, so I can use that to aid in removing light facial makeup. Interstate 5 runs through my small city. I do not get on I-5 as I do not want to have a flat tire and end up at the side of the road. There are lots of things that may have that will end up with you in the hospital; car accident, medical emergency. Either one would not be the best way to do a "reveal" to an unknowing wife.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I keep a duffel bag in my car with a complete set of clothes, not for the reasons you mentioned. It's a spare work uniform just in case I need to change into a clean one or a dry one. I work at a resort and the possibility of ending up in the pool or the ocean is real. As an old Boy Scout I always remember to "Be Prepared"

Peace & Love
    Gerri

Reality Check
    Since I have to leave the house as a "male" (underdressed) and change in the car, I do have male clothes available if worse comes to worse. Not male underwear of course and I would be wearing a bra.

I did once end up in the hospital wearing a pair of yellow panties but that's another story.
    Krisi

I have given this some thought lately.
    A car accident whilst dressed would mean a trip to emergency if it was a bad hit.
    There they will cut off your clothes and put you in a hospital gown. Having spare clothes in the car will not help you as the car will probably get towed.
    A friend or relative will need to help out and that is where things could get awkward if you are not out.
    As for myself, normally if I had a flat tyre I would fix it but dressed I will call the road service.

Philipa Jane

My emergency bag is a bit more modest. Phone, spare glasses, wallet and Covid mask.

Plus an opaque top with silicone nipple shields & coconut oil in case that I get unexpectedly heavy & sore!

Your emergency bag sounds a lot like a handbag, Val! Lol.

I used to do this, but now I don't for some reason, I guess I have become more daring and bolder in my older age, or just lazy, ya that's it. But it is a good idea for sure and I think I will start doing this again for any lengthy trips from home. I wouldn't do it for hospitalisation reasons or any quick trips around town where I could just walk home in a few minutes (very small town) but in case of a vehicle breakdown or something like that whilst farther from home, would be handy.

Like Krisi I have to leave the house underdressed and change in the car so I have male clothes available if necessary. But even if I could leave the house fully dressed I would still take some for emergency use.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I was in an accident on the way to a T event in Vegas. Nobody, including myself, gave a dam that I was a man in a dress!

We were too busy checking that everyone was all right and the damage to our cars.

After that, I will never worry about being in an accident again while dressed. Because how you're dressed in an emergency doesn't seem to matter!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I don't leave my home or return to it fully dressed (I have a couple of times though - another story). I under-dress then wear jeans and a men's jumper or jacket over the top and then change and put my wig on in the car, so I've always got jeans, shoes, jumper/jacket with me if I need to change to drab mode for any reason.

I always carry a small backpack with me, containing my camera, my drone and any other items I might generally need, and it also contains a 'Wendy bag' with basic makeup necessities, nail-polish and remover, wipes and Q-tips, spare stockings, feminine-looking glasses etc. When leaving or returning home, my wig and shoes (and sometimes my breast forms) also go into the backpack.

Were I to find myself in a hospital situation such as that described by Phillipa Jane, both of the people who'd likely be looking through my things for something for me to wear know I dress, so there won't be any unpleasant surprises there. A health issue a year ago actually did result in a trip to hospital (I wasn't dressed) and this was one of the reasons I have since come out to my sister-in-law, as she is now my closest family member.
    Last edited by Wendy-Lyn; 05-15-2022 at 11:43 PM.

I'm out and live as Jean.

No I don't, then I could just call me best friend, we are almost the same size, she could bring me something to wear.

In the hospital you are in one their gowns. I don't know about the room. The local hospital has two person rooms. There are curtains.

They don't mix genders so I don't know how they would handle it.

When I was in the hospital for a week, I was still in the closet. I had fallen on a job and broken my femur. I didn't care about anything.

Later

Years ago coming back from Vegas where I'd spent a week dressed, in the middle of the night 30 miles from home I hit a deer and total my car it's still running and I was able to limp it into town. Pitch black I'm dressed no cell phone reception not thinking about what I'm wearing I get out of the car, assess the damage. At this point I realized I'm dressed and I don't care. I wasn't out at the time.

It was at this point I decided to come out and did.

When I first began going in public I would always carry a bag with male clothes so that I would have them in case of a breakdown or something.
    Now I don't bother. I am who I am and if something happens I'll deal with it.
    I've had incidents where I've had car trouble and had to wait for a tow or fix something myself and it was surprisingly uneventful. I never worry about "what if" anymore, life it too short to have all that burden.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !