Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name That Clothing

Name That Clothing

I was having a chat conversation with a friend on another site and the topic of wny crossdressing is such a thing for men buf not women. My friend concluded that there is no "male" clothing a women could wear that would raise the stigma we feel as male crossdressers.

Example, it was very easy to come up with of clothing with a percieved stigma for a male to wear, including clothing with flowery patterns, pastel colors, or lace accents; brassiers, lacey or satin underwear, shapewear, wigs, makeup, high heeled shoes (particularly spike heels) and pretty much anything with a skirt,

Its pretty difficult to come up with a similar list of clothing designed or typically worn by men that are socially unacceptablr for a woman to wear. Any ideas for the list?

Women's clothing has absorbed much of men's style over the years so nothing is really off limits. Although I know a lesbian couple, one is quite feminine, the other lives in Wrangler jeans, flannel shirts, cowboy boots and a trucker's billfold. No doubt which one is the "male" of the pair.

When I was a kid, it was considered an insult if someone said your mother wears Army boots. Now they would say thank her for her service. Time change.

Sandi

i was going with cummerbund and i googled it and found this....https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageHoverTitle

some are really cute and could help hide my bulging mid section....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I cannot think of a single piece of men's clothing that is not worn by women and not considered acceptable for women to wear.
    It's never too late to enjoy a happy childhood.
    Live each day as though it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
    I'm finding the more feminine side of me...and I ❤️ this adventure.

Jockstrap!!!!!!!
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

Fiona, my friend came up with that too. Except they have any equivalent/similar garment for women. My daughter played pretty high level, competetive hockey. When we were buying gear we had to get her a "pelvic protector" which is shaped and is worn exactly the same as the male protective cup except the hard cup is more flat but otherwise looks exactly like a jock with cup .... so even jockstrap is out!!!!
    Last edited by char GG; 05-20-2022 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Not necessary to quote the post before yours

Nothing from the guys side of the store will ever be off limits for women. It makes them seem strong and tough but if we wander into the womens side of the store it is just the opposite.
    That is the way it has always been and it seems it will stay the same.
    Crissy

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona_44 View Post
    Jockstrap!!!!!!!
    They make them for women. Called womens pelvic protectors. I typically wear one playing hockey vs a male cup.

Those fake testicles that good 'ole boys often attach to the trailer hitches of their pickup trucks...

Not exactly a clothing item, but more of an accessory. Don't judge me...it's the best I've got - - LOL!

Banned Read only
    There is no clothes that a woman could wear to generate the same reaction or stigma for a very basic reason. Our society values men above women. The idea that a man would voluntarily reduce his "dominant" standing in society to that of an "inferior" or "subservient" woman has been considered appalling and shocking for most of Western history. Period.

Sandi's comment about army boots, reminded me of my niece. When she got married shw was wearing a stunning white wedding gown, with Doc Martin boots. In fact the only shoes she has are DM's.

I have seen several women with very "manly" footwear one was wearing Dr martens boots and cut off jeans, I have also known her for a long time and she is very feminine but the boots surprised me one day.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I don't think there is an item for the list.
    If a woman wears men's clothing everyone just says it's Menswear and ignores it. It's not tomboy, gay, weird or anything, just Menswear. Fashion even lists it as a cetegory.
    Anything a man wears that is feminine is suddenly another issue.

I don't care anymore. I wear what I love and that's that.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumped View Post
    Women's clothing has absorbed much of men's style over the years so nothing is really off limits. Although I know a lesbian couple, one is quite feminine, the other lives in Wrangler jeans, flannel shirts, cowboy boots and a trucker's billfold. No doubt which one is the "male" of the pair.
    Which brings up the question, Pumped, "How many married dressers here r the "male" in their marriage?"

I'll wager for from all!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandi Beech View Post
    When I was a kid, it was considered an insult if someone said your mother wears Army boots. Now they would say thank her for her service. Time change.Sandi
    I had to chuckle when I read your comment. When our son was in elementary school our son came home one day all upset because some kids ranked on him, telling him "Your mother wore combat boots!" My wife told him to go back to school and tell the kid, "She did!" and explained she served in the United States Army for three years in the late 1960's to early 1970's. Even though there are numerous active duty women in the area (Fort Lewis & McChord Air Force bases) people still act in disbelief when my wife (71) tells people she is a veteran.

As to the question at hand, my wife borrows my graphic tee shirts because the male cut fits her better than a female cut. My daughter has worn men's footwear and jeans in the distant past. Our granddaughter raided my side of the closet and made off with several of my no longer being worn flannel shirts. She also buys her jeans off the young men's side of the store because she has no hips and women's jeans do not fit her.

I've mentioned many times that in my thirty year professional career I never wore a white dress shirt. I wore color dress shirts ranging from pastels to dark hues in the fall and winter. Never any comments at all.

There are no men's clothes that are unacceptable women to wear. It's just that way.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I don't know if we're talking just wearing clothes. I don't think a man wearing a dress or skirt (MIAD) would cause a lot of commotion. But going the full nines with an obvious female presentation (wig, boobs etc) is another story. I was at the grocery store the other day. A male just before me in the queue was wearing torn pantyhose, a female lace top, wedge shoes, make up. A bit over the top in presentation, but no wig, no forms, and no female mannerisms. Nobody cared. Mostly a young population there, though. And I am in an average city, things may be different in a rural location.

I think it is true that a woman could wear about any article of men's outer clothing out in public and get the kind of reaction a man would get wearing a dress. The strongest reaction a woman might get is wearing a men's three piece suit and tie.

Geena, that will not even get a second glance any more. Here they are selling on Amazon!
    https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Pieces...534&th=1&psc=1

I always hear the female protection described as a "Jane" insteadd of a "jock".

Monica stated the case of western society, which is true. Women can wear anything without judgement, men can wear anything, but with judgement. Clothes are the statement of self.

Yes--however--suppose a woman cut her hair short? Brush cut? Rubber bald cap?
    And drew on a tiny moustache?
    Pulled a girdle up to her armpits?
    And then wore combat boots and a plaid shirt?
    What would be the psychological effect if she were called "Sir"?

Although Western society has evolved...
    Some dress codes are still very sexist towards women, many sportswomen can't wear the outfit worn by their male peers. A pair of shorts to play beach handball? No, the international federation requires women to wear fitted, low-cut bikinis... Unimaginable that in 2021 the Norwegian women's team had to pay a fine for playing in shorts.

When my kids played hockey they were called a Jill
    Last edited by char GG; 05-23-2022 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Your post was duplicated within the post