Thread: Open relationships and cheating

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Open relationships and cheating

Spawning this thread to continue a conversation and avoid hacking the original one.

To answer a few remarks from members about the judgmental crowd. I have no judgment on open relationships. I am sure they exist. And I am sure there are people happy in them. But I like also to not be told fairytales and I don't think that open relationships come by the dozen. I mean, actual open relationships. By actual open relationship, I mean a member claiming to be in an open relationship and writing a report of her latest crazy night beginning with "last night I told my SO about the crazy night I had the day before". This would be convincing. But we don't get these lines, do we? Not once, in the gazillions of super detailed accounts of crazy CD nights that we can find in these forums. I find this odd. If you never speak of your adventures with your SO, this isn't an open relationship. This isn't a relationship at all. You're just living together in the same house. Or you are in a relationship but you are hiding your adventures from your SO. That doesn't qualify much as open, does it? If you don't share anything, what's the relation? Sharing the rent?

Again, I don't judge and understand that someone actually in an open relationship may take offense of some remarks. But on the other hand, people who have suffered from being cheated on, or who fear the prospect (like my wife who started gnawing her teeth again after readings two very recent posts), or who already distrust their SO enough for having lied for years about their dressing (my case) may also be offended by the fact that cheating is treated as a no brainer in some conversations, and that the OP can be encouraged in cheating with no apparent second thoughts. Finally, some members may simply be warning the OP just because the odds are she's not in an open relationship and the said members are actually trying to avoid hell breaking loose around her. This is not judgment. This is trying to help.
    Last edited by DianeT; 06-01-2022 at 05:39 PM.