It was only later in life that I came to the realization that I was female. And it was a long hard road for me to finally accept the truth. But when I think back, it?s something I should have known all along. Yeah, there was the fact that I enjoyed borrowing my mother?s clothes, which I did frequently, but there was much more than that. Two things come to mind. On weekends my father was always in the basement doing his woodworking and my brothers (I have several) were all down there with him. My mother used to bake on weekends, and I preferred to help her in the kitchen.

When my maternal grandmother came to visit, she and my mother would sit at the kitchen table and chat, mostly my grandmother sharing gossip from back home. I loved these conversations, and would join them whenever I could. My brothers never did. They were off doing more manly things, I guess.

Bizarrely enough, I?m considered the "macho man" of my family. I was the only one who played sports in high school, the only one who worked on construction, and the only one who joined the Army, or any branch of the military. But I should have known ?

If any of you have similar stories, I?d love to hear them.