Thread: The fourth dimension? Oh definitely yes!

The fourth dimension? Oh definitely yes!

I was watching a Netflix series called " Seven days Out" and one of the episodes dealt with the annual Chanel show and how it was probably the most important moment in Haute Coutiere. I'm not a big fan of Haute Coutiere in any way but I do appreciate beautiful women's wear so, I found it quite interesting.
    The detail of the fashion was really something to behold, I must say.
    At one point, the head of the house, Karl Lagerfeld mentioned that he was not happy with the movement of the pieces or, what he described as the fourth dimension. The flow of the garment, the sway, the drape... the femininity of the dress. He definitely gets it, imo...
    It certainly spoke to me in terms of femininity. Although I really enjoy the feel of silk, satin and lace against my skin, it's really about the feel of the swish of my skirt, the flick of my hair, the bangle of my bracelets and so on. It's that feminine motion that really works for me. The fourth dimension? I think so...
    Am I alone here?
    The most common form of despair is not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

Erin, I agree, moving in the clothes, walking in the shoes, bumping a boob against a door frame is part of the experience.

Erin, I agree - but it seems like Lagerfeld is focused on the visual aspect of women's garments - crucially important in projecting the inherent femininity of his clothing and designs, but just one aspect. We CDs , as you and Diane both describe, are attuned also to the tactile in two levels - how they feel to the touch and how they feel and move when they are worn, as well as how our movement and indeed even attitude is altered by wearing these garments. Add to that perhaps a bit of perfume to the overall effect, and you have the sensual and euphoric experience we here all seek.

Try getting that out of a pair of men's jeans and t- shirt. Or even a suit.

Most folks don't know that Haute Couture means custom dresses for a specific client.
    One of the story arcs in the Devil Wears Prada is the importance of going to Paris to see the designs by the Haute Couture houses.

The super rich go to the Paris to choose a house that will make them a custom dress.

A great movie about the super rich is Crazy Rich Asians.
    They did a fantastic job of showing wealth on a limited movie budget!
    It is one of those films in which everyone worked really hard to make the best of the few minutes each scene had.
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 06-13-2022 at 07:37 AM.

Erin i like that term.....when i try to describe that to people i used the term that we dont wear the clothes...."the clothes wear us"....

interesting Marion....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Erin, I also love the feel of Satin and Silk, but do appreciate the swish.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

You are not alone Erin. It is definitely how it feels. A relaxing euphoric experience. I like Kris analogy regarding jeans tee shirt and suit. There is no comparison.

I agree that the movement of the fabric communicates gracefulness which is a characteristic of females. It is a fact that female movements are more graceful - even females in stone-age cultures are more graceful than the males. You can see it a great deal is classical dance and in some modern dance. The woman exhibits the grace of a butterfly while the man serves a supporting role and is also moderately graceful but more often more direct.

I think fashion follows the same idea. I long flowing dress is sensuous, kind of fascinating how it moves in waves with few sharp or abrupt motions unless the occupant intentionally jerks the fabric. But even then it is wave motion, quick, but graceful.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I do not know how to move, act, or look fem in motion.

But, over the years I've worked VERY HARD to learn to walk fem in hi heels. Which the 4+" heeled shoes themselves help a lot!

Watching my reflection walking in store front windows I think I'm doing pretty well!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!