Thread: My feet are shrinking as I get older

My feet are shrinking as I get older

Always been a UK 9, but recently they are too big, so ordered 8, little tight, but nothing I couldn't walk off and be okay, so are my feet getting smaller as I get older?

Platinum Member
    I think it is not directly related to the numerical number of age, but, whether there is a loss of body fat in the feet. The bone structure does not change. My width has changed, not my length.

Debs, i seem to have the same happening with my feet. (Also size 9 down to 8.)
    As my feet are disproportionately large, any reduction in their size is welcome....
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

I met a crossdresser last year that had the opposite happen. She told me that she had been hiking a lot over the last few years which caused her feet to get bigger. She gave me a nice pair of heels that she couldn't wear anymore.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I'm the same Ressie - my feet are getting bigger - just a half size, but yes, bigger. I just figured as all the sizes we wear change over the years, so do feet.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Actually feet get a bit bigger as we get older. This is a biological fact due to the lifetime of pressure and punishment on them.
    One of the problems is, unlike years ago, shoes are most always now being made in the far east and their lasts do no match US / Europeans sizes/lasts accurately.
    So, you have try on all shoes before purchasing. If you get them on line, it's pot luck.
    It is now rare when you see a shoe advertisement where they say that they are true to size.
    Often they will say they run big or, run small.

When I was younger, I wore a size 7 1/2 men's shoe and a a 9 1/2 female
    Now it's 8 and 10. So, when shoes are true to size, my feet got a half size bigger.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 06-20-2022 at 04:05 PM.

As Barbara Jo said, feet usually get bigger as we age. Mine have gotten 1/2 to one size longer and a little wider from all the decades of 160 lbs. pressing on them.
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

I highly doubt your feet are shrinking. Possible explanations: if it’s an old pair of yours they might have just stretched out. If it’s a different brand then you usually wear, different makers size differently. Also sometimes makers change their own sizing.

Aspiring Member
    mine are getting longer and wider. or arch just getting flatter

I find that the problem may be with the shoe brand name you are trying on. A 9 in Brand X may equate to an 8 in Brand Y. And of course, not all shoe brands have half sizes, which is a pain!

You should try on a variety of different pairs in different brands, until you find the pair which fits you perfectly. A pleasant experience, if you like shoe shopping!

If your feet aren't shrinking then the only scientific explanation is that you are getting taller as you age, and the increasing distance between your eyes and feet have been gradually reducing the apparent size of the latter.

Mine are too! As is my height. Gravity and old age! Sigh.

Normally feet get larger with age, especially wider. But it can go the other way; just not common. In high school (60 years ago) I wore a 9 1/2. I now wear an 11 4E. My feet are more like flippers now. I have to wear a 12 1/2 or 13 women's shoe. Not a lot of those around.

I've found that in wearing heels most of the time, my toes get squished together and I slide down into my heels, thus they get more loose in the heel. Sometimes when walking my heel will slide up and out of my shoes. I actually have to wear a size 9 in flats and a size 8 1/2 women's in heels. I still get heel slip even when wearing flats. At a local shoe store, a GG sales associate told me that's usually the scenario, even for GG women! So, she advised me to wear whatever size I need to avoid heel slip. My feet haven't become smaller or larger in the last 40 years I've been wearing heels, my toes have just been squished together more.

Any comments from our GG's?

Thanks,
    Linda

Feet that shrink with age would be wonderful - please let it happen. I'm a UK 10 and while the range of shoes available is growing the truly gorgeous styles still seem to stop at 8. And where can I get some wedges that don't also have a platform sole?

My thought is that different shoes and/or manufacturers may not all be the actual size they claim they are. I recently had to get sparkly boots one half size larger, but my other shoes still fit. Same with sandals that I ordered online but were too big. So, both were manufacturing anomalies. One size or even a half size difference in shoes is not uncommon.

I remember in years past, some women felt it was more "dainty" to have smaller shoes, even if they jammed their feet into an ill-fitting shoe. I don't think that is the case any longer. People wear the shoes that fit them. Which is why many people try on shoes before purchase. Ill fitting shoes can cause a lot of potential feet problems.

I doubt that feet get smaller, but what do I know.

Thanks Char GG for your answer. I've found the same thing in that different brands size differently. That includes heel height in relation to shoe size. I've measured some US name brands and some vary the heel height and some don't. I've measured them at the stores before trying them on, and some have the same heel height from sizes 6 to 9 and some vary it, depending on size. A 4 1/2 inch heel for a woman wearing a size 6 has got to be either a big surprise or disappointment depending on what's expected!

Thanks again,
    Linda

I always prefer to try before I buy. The exception is Maryland Square where I've gotten shoes that always seem to fit. I like 9 West, but I have ordered heels there in the same size and one pair fit and the other one didn't. Even in Men's shoes it's hit or miss.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

I guess I'm just an aging sasquatch. I had size 8 feet when I was 8, 11 when I was 11, size 13 feet when I was 13 years old, 14 when I was 14, thankfully it slowed down. At 21 I wore a size 15.
    Today I'm a size 16, and even some of those are feeling tight. Thankfully there are enough other yeti like me out there, so that the big and fat clothing stores stock the bigfoot size footware.
    I bought 'girlshoes' over the years that I could squeeze into, but nowadays it's a REAL squeeze to get 'em on. On the bright side, thanks to the 'wide track', I rarely tip over.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by GaleWarning View Post
    I find that the problem may be with the shoe brand name you are trying on. A 9 in Brand X may equate to an 8 in Brand Y. And of course, not all shoe brands have half sizes, which is a pain!

You should try on a variety of different pairs in different brands, until you find the pair which fits you perfectly. A pleasant experience, if you like shoe shopping!
    So true about the sizing! In Nine West I take an 8.5. But in just about any other maker I go with a 9.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

You're luck it's only your feet.

Did you buy the same brand shoe?
    Nothing is standardized so it could just be that that brand is made differently or that style is smaller than others.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !